Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey: Why did you pre-order a TESLA Model 3?

What were your TOP TWO REASONS for pre-ordering a TESLA Model 3?

• My concern for the ENVIRONMENT

Votes: 36 14.1%
  • I am always an EARLY ADOPTER and this is the wave of the future

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • It's the FREAKIN' COOLEST car out there... gas or electric

Votes: 35 13.7%
  • I believe in what ELON MUSK/TESLA is doing and I want to support him/TESLA

Votes: 109 42.7%
  • Model 3 is the only EV car that I BOTH truly lust after AND can afford

Votes: 85 33.3%
  • I just plain LOVE the car

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • The TECHNOLOGY/PERFORMANCE

Votes: 123 48.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 8.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. To make good on what the LEAF had promised: to go more than 100 miles.

2. What Darell said.
if I can have an honest 200 mile EV, then I no longer need a hybrid.
We think we might even become a one car family.

adopter400.jpg

4. Wife has been waiting for "Blue Star" since the Secret Master Plan was released.

I agree about breaking out performance and tech. The interesting thing to me is that the number one response so far is "supporting Elon Musk/TESLA".
With a poll, you have to choose the closest match. It's really about supporting The Mission. See my signature line.

I could honestly care less about the environment and being an early adapter. What attracts me to the car the most is the fact that it's a gorgeous vehicle that use ZERO GAS! How is that not an option?! If this was just another gas guzzler I'd keep my current vehicle. I drive between 150-200 miles a day. Paying for gas is drowning me! I've always considered going electric to save on fuel costs but I also don't like the way most EV look. The model 3 is a slam dunk IMO beautiful and requires no gas.

Only 2 options?? man that was hard.
Ultimately i had delayed getting a new car for years. I've been sitting on cash waiting to buy something but I've never been inspired to pull the trigger. I'm still running around in my 2001 Nissan Sentra. I'm a big tech geek so i was waiting for something that would knock my socks off. I couldn't wait for Tesla to release something I could afford. On March 31st, that day came and now i'm stuck waiting another 2 years but i'm okay with that. I love the styling of the car but more importantly i love the tech behind it. Running on batteries with instant torque. It has giant touch display with a minimalist interior. I love everything about it including the grillless front.

I could honestly care less about the environment and being an early adapter. What attracts me to the car the most is the fact that it's a gorgeous vehicle that use ZERO GAS! How is that not an option?! If this was just another gas guzzler I'd keep my current vehicle. I drive between 150-200 miles a day. Paying for gas is drowning me! I've always considered going electric to save on fuel costs but I also don't like the way most EV look. The model 3 is a slam dunk IMO beautiful and requires no gas.
Hindsight is 20/20... your right, Something like "Only EV with gorgeous design" as one of the choices.

O
Only 2 options?? man that was hard.
Ultimately i had delayed getting a new car for years. I've been sitting on cash waiting to buy something but I've never been inspired to pull the trigger. I'm still running around in my 2001 Nissan Sentra. I'm a big tech geek so i was waiting for something that would knock my socks off. I couldn't wait for Tesla to release something I could afford. On March 31st, that day came and now i'm stuck waiting another 2 years but i'm okay with that. I love the styling of the car but more importantly i love the tech behind it. Running on batteries with instant torque. It has giant touch display with a minimalist interior. I love everything about it including the grillless front.
only two options because the last poll similar to mine Poll: Why do you want a Tesla? over 70% of the respondents just checked "all of the above" so it didn't really tell us much.

I was looking at getting a Volt because of the extended range when more then 53 miles is needed. What I like better about the Tesla Model 3:
- 200+ EV with Tesla Super Stations available where I need to travel more than 150-200 miles.
- Option to order All Wheel Drive (AWD).
- Option to order Smart Air Suspension.
- The vehicle design looks good with a lot of room inside the vehicle for five large people.
- Over the air software updates where you don't have to go into the dealer.
- There are no plastic inserts that look like glass and obstruct vision.
- Vision appears to be good out the back and front. I don't like the limited vision out the front and back of the Volt.
- Auto Pilot hardware standard with option to activate at later date with over the air software update.

Because tesla cars butt. If this car was boring it would not meet my midlife crisis need. The fact that I can drive something fast and great looking lets me fill that need and still satisfy my rational self .

I do care about the environment, if we don't move to renewable energy and transportation our children won't have a planet. Getting out of the carbon cycle is a goal that I'm willing to spend money on. I also love the rebel with a cause vibe. Disrupting some of the biggest industries in the world and creating new sustainable ones strikes me as a good plan.

Other: I need a new car soon. We've had an EV as our main vehicle since 2000, and I won't buy a gas car. So I might as well buy the best car available.

For years I've said that if I can have an honest 200 mile EV, then I no longer need a hybrid. So I'll take the 300+ mile option and be in great shape.

Hey, Darell,

The "best car available" is arguably the Model S, don't you agree?? :)

Of course, you meant, "for the money" or something like that. But arguably, the Model S is better. You might look at used. 300 miles range, mileage on the odometer means little compared to any gas engine car or hybrid, price would be comparable to a pumped up 3/E/≡, and you can get one now. If you plan to wait 3 years for a new car, you *really* gonna need one by then.

-- the troublemaker.

Want a car that looks nice while also having great performance. I like to take corners fast and step on the pedal at stoplights, out of corners, getting onto the on-ramp, everywhere. Also, I really don't like going to gas stations and always wait until the indicator has read 0 for at least 10 miles before pulling in.

I am hoping the survey might reveal if there are more "treehugger" buyers or "performance/technology" buyers.
Looks like the latter, which is precisely what you'd want if you really care about the environment. I mean which is going to have a greater impact: the guy who buys a Mod3 to replace his Prius, or the guy who buys a Mod3 to replace his heads/cam/nitrous LSx running without cats? :)