Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspected repeater camera defect that affects FSD performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really do not care for the performance of the blinder-view-popup or the sideview camera view (partly because V11 is so badly designed that my hands block the view when it's relevant anyway), the problem is if it affects FSD, which I have paid several grand for and seen next to no return on living in the UK.

We've been around the circle of debating If this is going to impact FSD / autopilot, which we can't really come to a conclusion on. I agree Tristan's raw feed footage is promising. If it turns out this does notably affect FSD performance, I expect the cameras to be replaced FOC given that fee is supposed to include hardware upgrades (and because I have documented assurance from Tesla service staff if camera performance isn't sufficient enough for FSD they'll be replaced).

Regardless, it sucks they've been replacing light-leaking cameras FOC under warranty seemingly at random, while simultaneously giving garbage excuses why they're not going to do that for the other half of people asking.
I don't think that characterization is correct. It seems a vast majority of cases where it gets replaced for free is if it happens in one camera (there was a case however where it is denied even then). There's only been one or two cases reported where it happens on both and was replaced for free (and bring up a copy of those invoices have been shown to not work either, given they don't set precedents).

I got my mobile service for the rear trunk harness recall. For the heck of it, I threw a complaint about camera glare to the request to see if anything would happen. Expectedly, I got the whole 'intended design' spiel over text. Whatever.

The day arrives and the technician informs me they would be replacing my harness AND my side repeater cameras under warranty. Okay cool! I did not expect that. He completes the service and shows me the new repeaters don't have the tesla logo. I asked if this would solve the glare to which he answered this solves it for most customers. I am guessing as a technician he clearly knows there's a problem and has a bit of autonomy in deciding to replace the part.

It didn't solve it. I tested it that evening and both cameras have glare. I looked at the invoice:
Parts replaced or added
1514877-01-C
1495864-20-C

Doing some googling tells me this part has glare the glare problem; only the 'D' cams have it fixed. This kind of leaves me in an interesting position. Do I contact tesla service to ask about getting the right part (and risk them telling me this was done as a mistake), or do I enquire about contacting the technician himself about a concern I have with their service?