Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspected scammers on these forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
In the past day someone has been posting in numerous forums his "business plan" to earn a free Tesla. I have been reporting the posts as spam to the moderators as I encounter them, but maybe they aren't. I must admit to not quite understanding the meaning of "referrals" as it applies to Tesla sales promotions anyway. It seems "referral" in the Tesla context is often no more than publicizing a referral code for strangers to use or producing Youtube videos that "coincidentally" include referral codes. But at least those videos seem to provide some information value for prospective buyers. So perhaps this latest scheme to get a free Tesla is no different. Opinions?

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D and jaguar36
In the past day someone has been posting in numerous forums his "business plan" to earn a free Tesla. I have been reporting the posts as spam to the moderators as I encounter them, but maybe they aren't. I must admit to not quite understanding the meaning of "referrals" as it applies to Tesla sales promotions anyway. It seems "referral" in the Tesla context is often no more than publicizing a referral code for strangers to use or producing Youtube videos that "coincidentally" include referral codes. But at least those videos seem to provide some information value for prospective buyers. So perhaps this latest scheme to get a free Tesla is no different. Opinions?
a free tesla? I don't think so, are you aware of the $1k referral program in place?

Its not a scam, its just an attempt to get the first place referral prize. Course Tesla may decide its gaming the system and disqualify him. Wouldn't effect anyone using his referral code though, and presumably you'd have a contract for renting the car from him.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
a free tesla? I don't think so, are you aware of the $1k referral program in place?
Maybe you need to research the referral program further. I don't think those YouTube videographers are doing them solely for YouTube income and as a public service. Those folks and the person creating the threads yesterday are racing to get what Tesla refers to as 20 "friends" who purchase a new Tesla. The winner indeed gets a new, high end Ludicrous Tesla S or X. But I don't see those threads from yesterday anymore so perhaps the mods agreed they were spams or scams.

Last edited:
I only saw the one post here, so I wouldn't consider that spam.
As I noted in my second post I think the mods deleted them. I usually look at new threads and last night the post was cross posted to several forums. I didn't start this thread to pick on one entrepreneur looking for a free car but to discuss whether my resentment is misplaced. When I bought my car I was informed about the referral program and I thought it was legit. In fact Tesla's rules mention referring your "friends." I guess they really meant Facebook friends.

Last edited: