Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

suspension $8000 fix???!!! 2018 x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 model x with 80K miles. I had it inspected by tesla in end of 2021 and it was in top shape (had breaks replaced and new tires).
I've RARELY driven since then (approx 5K-7K miles in 1.5 years).
I had it checked recently (just for regular maintenance) and they told me my tires and suspension need to be replaced. total cost 8K.
My faith in this brand is gone...I also researched and found there is a class action lawsuit regarding suspension in 2018 model x...

w.t.f.

Please tell me a regular mechanic can do this? I absolutely don't want to pay my leg for this...
I have a 2016 P90D and basically there has not been a time when there wasn’t something wrong with the front suspension except for the first 6 months. I drive about 20k miles a year but mostly normal highway stuff. 3 control arm replacements, both half shafts and basically I’ve just been driving on it for 6-8 months but I know the front driver side needs another control arm. This is definitely not normal wear and tear!

What did the OP end up doing? My repair bill is $2.5k (excerpt below). I already replaced the tires in December, so that's not an issue. Our late '17 X75D has just over 40k miles on it. Here's what Tesla wants to do to mine per the other post. Maybe I'll just have them do the half shaft(s?) for $350. Most of the cost are in these "links." Thanks for any suggestions on any of the threads soon. Tesla SC has our car rn. Thanks!

It rides fine. I was concerned about the AC, not any of this when I took it in for an inspection before our road trip. Maybe we'll road trip the MY instead, if I can get it from not wrecking my back (it's my wife's car).

Concern-3.png

What did the OP end up doing? My repair bill is $2.5k (excerpt below). I already replaced the tires in December, so that's not an issue. Our late '17 X75D has just over 40k miles on it. Here's what Tesla wants to do to mine per the other post. Maybe I'll just have them do the half shaft(s?) for $350. Most of the cost are in these "links." Thanks for any suggestions on any of the threads soon. Tesla SC has our car rn. Thanks!

It rides fine. I was concerned about the AC, not any of this when I took it in for an inspection before our road trip. Maybe we'll road trip the MY instead, if I can get it from not wrecking my back (it's my wife's car).

View attachment 946283
These links are known to fail on S/X and have had many revisions to their design (in the case of the aft link). Very common wear items

Reactions: Falcon73
Just saw your post. Look similar to what I'm experiencing :(

FWIW, Tesla tells me I need a completely new suspension, front and rear on my '18 MX. EV's Republic says I just need new bushings all around. I take the car to a local alignment shop and they also tell me I only need new bushings and to calm down before I have a stroke. Super glad now I got a second and third opinion.
I fixed my suspension for $200 in labor and $500 in parts (solenoid / suspension compressor), which I bought extra. I got a mechanic to do it. Today I noticed my front is finally raised back to a normal level. Not as low to the ground. Tesla says I may need to pressurize ($135) but even with that still, I saved at least $700 and my car didn’t have to sit inside a shop idle without being touched.

Reactions: Shuttlecraft X