TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Suspension and steering calibration - P90/100D vs 90/100D

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by jgrgnt, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Member

Our 3-week old 90D is in the shop for FWD alignment issues, so I have an early VIN (~1400) X P90D loaner. Some observations:
    1. The P90D is less floaty than our 90D over uneven roads.
    2. The P90D does not impact as sharply over rough roads (shallow potholes, expansion joints, etc.), unlike our 90D that rides borderline harsh.
    3. The P90D has more steering feel and seems more direct and responsive. The steering wheel also rotates through its travel more smoothly.
    4. The P90D has more linear brake pedal travel, with no "dead zone" at the top of pedal travel. Braking strength is determined more by pressure than distance. It feels really, really nice.
    Our car and the loaner both have 22" wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 summer tires. Both car's suspensions are set to always be in low.

I thought P models only add a larger rear motor, different battery fuses, and Brembo brakes. So, I expected item #4 above (brake feel), but not the rest. Does anyone know if the P models have a different calibration for the air springs/dampers and steering rack? The P feels like a proper sports SUV and is more fun to drive. I don't feel the same way about our 90D. It's not just the power difference, it's the little things mentioned above which seem to add up to a more engaging drive.

For those of you who upgraded from a non-P to a P (or test drove both), did you observe similar differences?

2. tslaEbay

tslaEbay Member

I never drove P90D..but I agree on #1 and #2...not only I feel every small bump but feel very noisy. I have a section of road in my commute where there are continuous small bumps. My previous E350 used to smoothen it out nicely. But I feel every bump in my 90D and the noise level is bad. May be..I need to let SC check all the seals. Somebody mentioned here that some of the noise is coming from the floor because it is not well insulated.

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Interesting. I don't think I've heard of anyone else noticing a difference in the handling feel of different spec X's yet. I had one X as a loaner but I don't recall noticing a difference. I think it was a P90D as well. I also feel like my 90D X is a bit harsh (especially compared to the S loaners I've had). Anyway, perhaps they made a change to the bushings in the rack or to the air springs at some point in production.

4. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Member

I wonder if that's the case. I wouldn't be too surprised, as the loaner is an early production VIN. The differences could also be due to other factors: mileage (10,000 miles on the loaner vs. 1,000 miles on ours), new vs. old tires, new vs. worn-in suspension bushings, etc. Once we get our X back, I'll revisit this and see if the differences are as drastic as I originally believed them to be.

5. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Member

Totally agree about feeling every bump. My 435i has the adaptive suspension, which is remarkably good at smoothing out surface irregularities. That car also has low-profile summer runflats, and even in the sportiest suspension setting, it still rides smoother than the X.

Have the SC tech ride with you to determine where the noise is coming from. Our loaner does seem to have more wind noise, but I can't localize it. Just seems like a louder "rush" of air going over the entire top of the car. Our X is surprisingly quiet, even at high speed.