Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension automatically lowered itself onto parking curb?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving a 2022 Model S, and parked in a parking garage today. Front of car went over the parking curb, plenty of clearance. When I got back in the car later, the Model S had lowered itself onto the curb and I can't get it to rise back up again. I've gone into the suspension controls and everything is greyed out. What would cause this??

Ouch. I wonder if it faulted and won’t move.

I’ve had other cars do the same. Learned to back into curbs.

Maybe reboot the car might allow you to adjust. But warning it could make it worse.

Try road side and maybe they can help.

Reactions: Jpandes
I had this happen when I backed over a curb. Didn't realize it till I started moving and the car made a terrible crunching noise. Broke the diffuser chrome and a few fasteners broke.

Can you put the car in drive or neutral? I feel like the car binds a bit if the wheels can't move.

The only way out I can think of is jack up the front and put a 2x6 under each front wheel. Might need two jacks to jack it up level.

Oh here is another crazy idea. Inflate front tires to the max and deflate the rears. It might be just enough.

Reactions: jsmay311
I'm driving a 2022 Model S, and parked in a parking garage today. Front of car went over the parking curb, plenty of clearance. When I got back in the car later, the Model S had lowered itself onto the curb and I can't get it to rise back up again. I've gone into the suspension controls and everything is greyed out. What would cause this??
This happened to my model s plaid two weeks ago. The car automatically lowered itself onto a curb and when I pulled out destroyed the fascia. What did you find out from tesla?

Same thing happened to me…cleared parking curb parking going on but scrapped lower front bumper backing out. Sounds like this is a flaw. Did you contact Tesla?

Same thing happened to me. Cleared parking curb going in but scrapped lower front bumper backing out. This seems like a flaw on the suspension system. Did you contact Tesla?
Its done this forever. It's just not part of their algorithm, but it should be. They should not reset height after parking until the vehicle has moved 20-30 IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla and DaBean
Its done this forever. It's just not part of their algorithm, but it should be. They should not reset height after parking until the vehicle has moved 20-30 IMHO.
Not sure what they can do. I’ve seen other cars do it too. Most cars let you disable easy exit and if I could disable it, I would. I think it used to offer it on Legacy before V11.

In fact I wish it went up went it parked for easier entry / exit :)

This has happened in my MSLR daily since I got it in March. It usually lowers once all doors are closed. I noticed that the front doesn't lift back up to normal height until after a period of time either by sitting/idling in car after brakes were first depressed or after driving for 20 to 30 sec. I just assumed this is by design given that it happens every time.

this happened to me at the supercharger in Rancho Cucamonga a couple months ago. I pulled in and drove over the concrete chalk thing like you have to to get far enough into the spot to charge and when i went to leave the car had lowered and i ripped off half the front bumper because the car had lowered. I stopped and raised it to max height and then backed out but most of the damage was already done. I've since fixed it with some JB weld plastic and its good as new and you cant tell.

The car lowers while parked or charging I've never understood why. when i park i always back in except at chargers where you have to pull in and i normally don't go over the concrete chalks but in the case of this charger the space requires you to pull that far forward. So now i just have it set to auto raise to very high when i get to that charger.

But if you're pulling into a spot you shouldn't be pulling in so far the lip goes over the curb anyway you should stop short of the curb. The best way to learn this is the same technique i learned to get my CDL where i had to stop on a line while being unable to see the line from the cab. you pull up to a space with a line on the ground and estimate where you need to stop then get out and see how close you are, and if you're good then memorize that distance if you're not good then drive away and try again till you get it right.