Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension can be in "high" at greater speeds in 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So they took it away, but are bringing it back better than it was.

Yes, that is what they said from the start. It was taken away as a reaction to the stream of horrific over reaction by media and others, and will be returning with full responsibility given to the owner/driver. So those who felt a need to cry for 'redesign' can now have the car higher than ever and drive over trailer hitches et al without fear of impaling forces, and those that felt the need to cry for 'it's my car, I want it like I bought it, it's wrong for them to take it away - what else will they take away, and I want to make the decision for myself' can have a free upgrade to their car and have it their way too. Now, everybody can be happy and perhaps next time people can keep their heads about them before jumping to conclusions and getting all bent out of shape.

Tesla has proven time and again that they really do care about people's safety, and they really do care about giving customers the best car, and they really do care about customer service, and, and, and. The recent Norwegian event should also reiterate this to those looking for things to complain about. Tesla and Elon Musk are listening. They can't do everything at once. They don't have unlimited resources, so they must prioritize. People within the company sometimes make mistakes, but in the end corrections are made or will be made. And surprise, they sometimes just simply don't agree with an opinion.

Yes, that is what they said from the start. It was taken away as a reaction to the stream of horrific over reaction by media and others, and will be returning with full responsibility given to the owner/driver. So those who felt a need to cry for 'redesign' can now have the car higher than ever and drive over trailer hitches et al without fear of impaling forces, and those that felt the need to cry for 'it's my car, I want it like I bought it, it's wrong for them to take it away - what else will they take away, and I want to make the decision for myself' can have a free upgrade to their car and have it their way too. Now, everybody can be happy and perhaps next time people can keep their heads about them before jumping to conclusions and getting all bent out of shape.

Tesla has proven time and again that they really do care about people's safety, and they really do care about giving customers the best car, and they really do care about customer service, and, and, and. The recent Norwegian event should also reiterate this to those looking for things to complain about. Tesla and Elon Musk are listening. They can't do everything at once. They don't have unlimited resources, so they must prioritize. People within the company sometimes make mistakes, but in the end corrections are made or will be made. And surprise, they sometimes just simply don't agree with an opinion.

I would like to see everyone who demanded a refund over this issue to now pull out their check books to write Tesla a check for the additional features being delivered in 6.0. After all, you didn't pay for those improvements. They were not there when you bought your car. The knife cuts both ways. If you want a refund for a feature being temporarily removed, even though all of the hardware still exists in your car and presumably you would not give that back to Tesla, then you should offer payment for new features being added. It's new functionality. Pay up. Fair is fair.

Does the above sound ridiculous? Absolutely. Just as ridiculous as those demanding a refund. It's the same argument.

I would like to see everyone who demanded a refund over this issue to now pull out their check books to write Tesla a check for the additional features being delivered in 6.0. After all, you didn't pay for those improvements. They were not there when you bought your car. The knife cuts both ways. If you want a refund for a feature being temporarily removed, even though all of the hardware still exists in your car and presumably you would not give that back to Tesla, then you should offer payment for new features being added. It's new functionality. Pay up. Fair is fair.

Does the above sound ridiculous? Absolutely. Just as ridiculous as those demanding a refund. It's the same argument.

Well, when we bought the car Tesla had publicly commited to "keep improving via software updates" but not to "take away". So it all comes down to something very subjective: by (temporarily) disabling low did Tesla make the car worse (missing feature) or better (safer)? Both answers can be correct. Tesla prioritized safety. Elon has said time and time again: Saftey is paramount. I'm with him on this one.

next time people can keep their heads about them before jumping to conclusions and getting all bent out of shape.
Going to have to disagree with your here. Even with "returned, better" in 6.0 they still have the following missteps in Tesla history:
(1) Feature removal.
(2) Ninja update with (1).

Many owners think (1) and (2) are simply unacceptable especially when the impact affects drivers for > 2 months.

I'm glad they're addressing the suspension issue (when they deliver v6 broadly) but there was always more to this issue than the specific feature changes.

Going to have to disagree with your here. Even with "returned, better" in 6.0 they still have the following missteps in Tesla history:
(1) Feature removal.
(2) Ninja update with (1).

Many owners think (1) and (2) are simply unacceptable especially when the impact affects drivers for > 2 months.

I'm glad they're addressing the suspension issue (when they deliver v6 broadly) but there was always more to this issue than the specific feature changes.

I suppose, that after the fact and having an awesome resolution, that one could decide to remain focused on the past. Sort of like holding a grudge, even when it's long since water under the bridge, not to mention it didn't actually affect you in any life traumatic way. It's entirely possible that Tesla 'heard' and the execution of a similar event will be conducted differently next time. This is likely very much about individual perspective and whether you're a glass half empty or a glass half full kind of a person.

No other automaker rolls out software updates like this so it comes with positives and negatives. People will have to get used to this new way if they buy a Tesla. Yes, Tesla could have handled this much better but they are in new territory. If someone can point out a company that has never messed up a rollout or made a mistake I'd love to see it. Tesla certainly has made their share of mistakes but tends to correct them when they can. Certainly more than most automakers from what I've seen.

Yes, that is what they said from the start.

Actually they were kinda vague and just said lowering would return; they didn't say to previous levels (honestly, why remove it if it'll just revert...yeah, I know the other hopes/theories here, no need to hash it out again). Some theorized at the time that it would return, but not to the same level as before--i.e., with limitations that didn't exist before.

But despite various (generally minor) missteps over the past 20 months, I'm hopeful (but wait-and-see; they've earned a little skepticism).

All that said, the end result with Tesla is usually between very good and excellent! :) But not always the absolute best case. ;-)

Well, when we bought the car Tesla had publicly commited to "keep improving via software updates" but not to "take away". So it all comes down to something very subjective: by (temporarily) disabling low did Tesla make the car worse (missing feature) or better (safer)? Both answers can be correct. Tesla prioritized safety. Elon has said time and time again: Saftey is paramount. I'm with him on this one.
He also said quite dramatically, "This is NOT a safety issue."

Johan,

You have to keep in mind this is Tesla Model S version 1.0 or whatever you want to call it, the Apple iPhone equivalent of the original iPhone. Sometimes in order to make things better, they have to temporarily take away features, to enhance them. Especially in the case of Tesla there are many regulatory bodies in place to protect the human lives that are in Tesla's (capable) hands. This car is pretty close to perfection already IMO, but there will definitely be some small bumps in the road to such a radical change of automobile. Even the manufacturers that have been at it for over a century make more mistakes than Tesla has yet, and they aren't nearly as innovative. IMO just my 2 cents.