Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just bought my wife a MYP and she want to use her current Vossen wheels if possibly. They are 22x9 +32 square. According to willtheyfit seems like they will fit well with only 2mm more poke in the front, and 6mm more inset in the rear. My question is around tires, will 265/35/22 fit in the front? I know it will in the rear. I thought I saw someone running this setup but can’t find the thread
I might try those on a regular Lr Y but on a P it will be too tight. Especially when front wheels are turned 100%.

Honestly I don’t think you’ll have an issue at all being that you’re running a 9” wide wheel.

On my setup, +32 is pretty flush with the fender.
826A2A97-4CD4-47CF-A3C1-3B33CFF767EF.jpeg

Did you actually try this yet? My 21’s on the back are killling me please let me know if you had any rubbing?
Lots of folks have done 265/285/40/21 with either no or very minimal rubbing in front. None in mine. I’m using 295/35 in the back with no problems at all. Ride is definitely a little more comfortable, and personally I think it looks better as well.

@Canyonero what is your complete set up? Front & Rears?

@Mursla No, I have not purchased new tires yet for the stock Übers. I’m currently on stock Gemini w stock continentals.

When I purchase new Über tires, I’ll certainly run 265 front w 285 in the rear…. The real question is to stick to 35% or jump to a 40% aspect ratio.

@Mursla No, I have not purchased new tires yet for the stock Übers. I’m currently on stock Gemini w stock continentals.

When I purchase new Über tires, I’ll certainly run 265 front w 285 in the rear…. The real question is to stick to 35% or jump to a 40% aspect ratio.
I like the 40% as it give a little more vertical sidewall. Currently running MICHELIN PS AS4 265/40R21 fronts and 295/40R21 rears without issues.

Reactions: Canyonero

Continental DWS06+ 265/40/21 front 295/35/21 rear.

Reactions: OutofPocket
Curiously, what would be the issue with putting on 20 inch wheels for a Model YP?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Model YP to replace my M3 LR, and I'd need all weather tires that were half way decent. (Even in Maryland we get the rare shitty winter weather...)

Barring that, and because I'm a work and can't read the whole thread, what direct replacement tires without rubbing and speedometer issues could I immediately put on the MYP?

Curiously, what would be the issue with putting on 20 inch wheels for a Model YP?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Model YP to replace my M3 LR, and I'd need all weather tires that were half way decent. (Even in Maryland we get the rare shitty winter weather...)

Barring that, and because I'm a work and can't read the whole thread, what direct replacement tires without rubbing and speedometer issues could I immediately put on the MYP?
Just find any ones you want with the stock size of 255/40R20.

Reactions: GBMaryland
Here's info I've posted elsewhere on similar threads regarding how to discover clearances.
I've mounted 255/55/18 on a MYLR using M3 Aero wheels (which will NOT clear the MYP brake calipers) and have no issues.
At full steering lock, there's 1/8" clearance in the front wheel wells, and after 100 miles or so, evidence of extremely slight brushing in the wells. Like a 1" by 1" scrub mark.
The Aero wheels are a 38 offset. Gemini's are 40 (?). Haven't looked on the Ubers or others.

Critical dimension guides:
1. Steering knuckle (ball joint centered above the tire on the upper wishbone) is the diameter limiter. You must not rub on that. The 29" tire has 3/8 clearance - very good.
2. Full lock steering wheel rotation provides the width limit info - you don't want to rub the wheel well. The 29" x 10" tire has 1/8" clearance at full lock - good enough.
3. Wheel (rim) width (not diameter) should be compatible with the tire width. Tire specs will guide what wheel size is applicable, +/- 1/2 inch is okay.
4. Wheel offset needs to be compatible with the suspension. This is a bit more nuanced, but if you use the factory wheels, you're good.
5. Any wheel you use must provide clearance for the brake calipers (the M3 18" Aero wheelset does NOT clear the bigger MYP brake calipers).

So I ended up going with a square setup 21x9.5 +30. With this offset difference would 265/40/21 still clear when turning. Earlier in the thread looked like there was only as credi cards worth of clearance with the stock ubers with a +40 offset. Anyone running something close to +30 with the 265/40/21?

A question to folks who switched to Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Do you plan to switch back to stock Pirelli's for the summer?

I'm running 265/35/R21+295/35/R21 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 for over 5000 miles and I really like the grip and comfort of these tires. Regarding comfort - that's because of thicker sidewall and less bulged tire on the rim, which protects from curb rash.
But the track season just started. I took Model Y on a track with these All Seasons while it was 50F outside, and it was really good.

I guess when it will be 65F outside, stock Pirellis summer tires should have better grip. What do you think?