Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, we have some data. All the estimates proved to be accurate and the tires fit with plenty of room to spare. See pics. The speedometer is off by ~4.6% (fully expected) so will need to adjust for it on the WH/Mi

I may do another test in a few weeks to get a better idea of what is happening but the short story is, we have little to no efficiency drops:

SOC: 253miles - Same as initial test
Weather: 35F, partly cloudy - colder than last time by 5-6 degrees
Driver: Fasted state, skipped breakfast, large cup of coffee in the car - same as prior
Car: Heat off, windows up, various types of music at half volume
Tires: New tires 265/40/21 and 285/40/21 were inflated to 40psi (personally I think these are the tires the car should have come with. plenty of rim protection and the stance looks more aggressive and slightly taller by about an inch.
Front clearance: went from 6" to almost 7"
Rear clearance: 5" to about 6" (sam as above, slight increase predicted by the taller diameter of the tire (~0.75")

PREVIOUS Trip Leg A: 8.2 miles (mostly on AP/FSD 50-55mph) - 264 wh/mi (terrain was nearly flat with small up/downs)

NEW TRIP: same trip details as above with efficiency of 272 wh/mi, but adjusting for Speedometer should be 272 / (1+.046) = 260 wh/mi

Trip Leg B: 7.9 miles (mostly on AP/FSD 50-55mph) - 251 wh/mi (terrain was nearly flat with small up/downs)

NEW TRIP: same trip details as above with efficiency of 263wh/mi, but adjusting for Speedometer should be 263 / (1+.046) = 251 wh/mi

So all in all, the car feels a little bit taller... a little softer on the bumps and overall looks a ton better. obviously longer term efficiency needs to be monitored but the initial feedback is very good.

It looks like you did it, the profile looks much better without the exposed lip from the wheel. Overall it looks very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quorky
Hey @Quorky , so how is your setup holding up? any rubbing? Waiting for oem 35 series to wear out so I can get switch to this.

Cushier ride and much better protection from the potholes. I noticed a slight rub, in the front tires (the back wall of the front tires gets a little rub). It only rubs when you have the wheel turned 75% one way or the other. you can turn it past that point and its fine. So it rubs at about 75%, very slight. you would not experience it during normal driving conditions because you would not be turning the wheel that aggressively at any speed. Only slight feel, when parking, as you aggressively turn the wheel (at full stop or 1-2mph). So, still think its a success and the feel of the ride is dramatically improved, I dont even worry about that slight rub.

FYI: just picked up the car from service (they installed the hitch finally) and noticed that they inflated the tires to 45. So it is even less rubbing now. it just touches the back wall slightly at wheel to extremes, so even less of a concern (from little concern to nothing now)...

Here you go. PXL_20210507_174900163.jpg

Not too bad! I’m going to get these michelin pilot sport 4 all season in this size also and see how it goes. Hoping for minimal rub like you and for the range to take 5% or less of a hit. City range isn’t a concern for me, only highway, and the ubers are surprisingly aerodynamically efficient albeit super heavy 😃

The tiny amount of rub has not had any noticeable impact. It cant be rubbing that hard because a wet rag wipe and it looks as good as new, in the spot it rubs. You definitely have a ton more protection for the wheels with these larger tires.

As far as efficiency, if you read through the thread I had close to or even better efficiency with the new, larger tire, than the summers that it came with. I think I was seeing same watts per mile usage (maybe slightly better), but that was before accounting for the speedometer being off 4%. That calculates to about 5% better efficiency.

If you can, do some runs with the old tires and new tires to confirm, when you make the switch. Either way, the fuller look, larger sidewall and better efficiency, make this a great choice for pothole heavy cities like NYC. Good luck and post some pics.

Man I’m re-reading this thread as the MYP stock tires are dying... and fast. I even used a different wheel/tire combo for winter driving for a few months/miles.

Question - my MYP is also dropped 1” with UPP moderate springs. The internal tolerances to the steering knuckle should be the same for me yes... even though I’m 1” lower than a stock MYP?

I might rub the fender liner a bit more I guess - but the work @Quorky had done is süper helpful IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quorky
Man I’m re-reading this thread as the MYP stock tires are dying... and fast. I even used a different wheel/tire combo for winter driving for a few months/miles.

Question - my MYP is also dropped 1” with UPP moderate springs. The internal tolerances to the steering knuckle should be the same for me yes... even though I’m 1” lower than a stock MYP?

I might rub the fender liner a bit more I guess - but the work @Quorky had done is süper helpful IMO.

I think you should buy my performance tires (take offs) and think this over for another year or two. ;)

In all honesty, you should have no issues, if you go the route I went. You are not changing the clearances to the knuckle, so the only issue of concern is whether the 1" drop, alters the steering rotation further, by bringing the liner a fraction closer due to the convex shape of the wheel well. Under normal driving you will not experience any rub, as the slight clearance issue only shows up under extreme rotation of the steering wheel, which will only be experienced under 5mph. Even normal right / left turns do not experience a full rotation of the steering wheel (only a quarter to a third). '

Am I still the only person on this forum that has done this???

I think you should buy my performance tires (take offs) and think this over for another year or two. ;)

In all honesty, you should have no issues, if you go the route I went. You are not changing the clearances to the knuckle, so the only issue of concern is whether the 1" drop, alters the steering rotation further, by bringing the liner a fraction closer due to the convex shape of the wheel well. Under normal driving you will not experience any rub, as the slight clearance issue only shows up under extreme rotation of the steering wheel, which will only be experienced under 5mph. Even normal right / left turns do not experience a full rotation of the steering wheel (only a quarter to a third). '

Am I still the only person on this forum that has done this???
Thanks to you and andrewlikescoffee on reddit. I’m shopping for new tires.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39