Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no rubbing? Any issues?
I am scheduled for an at-home install of something similar this Wednesday. Unfortunately, Tirerack has the rears backordered (Pilot Sport All Season 4) until late December so I changed the rears to 295/35R21. Slightly wider, but will fit per others on this forum, and now nearly identical in diameter to the fronts (265/40R21). I will post an update late on Wednesday once all are installed and I’ve had a chance to real-world test. Thanks to @Quorky and @Maximus2002 for leading the effort on this. Excited!

I am scheduled for an at-home install of something similar this Wednesday. Unfortunately, Tirerack has the rears backordered (Pilot Sport All Season 4) until late December so I changed the rears to 295/35R21. Slightly wider, but will fit per others on this forum, and now nearly identical in diameter to the fronts (265/40R21). I will post an update late on Wednesday once all are installed and I’ve had a chance to real-world test. Thanks to @Quorky and @Maximus2002 for leading the effort on this. Excited!
Very interested to hear how this goes! Dang, 295 on the rears!

295, wow.... sick. please post pics when you mount them

Hi all. First time posting. I ordered the 285/40/21's and the 265/40/21's on tire america and had them shipped to a Midas for install. Got there and they said their machine would not handle the size. Where did you get the rubber mounted? Thanks!
So I found an independent shop that could mount the tires. They also did a 4 wheel alignment, which it really needed (I was looking at the screen when they first scanned the alignment). I have absolutely no rub, even when front wheels are fully turned (1/8" - 1/4" of clearance when full turned, plus you will only fully turn at very slow speeds), I love the way they look, I don't notice additional noise, I like the additional inch or so in ride height, and the ride is slightly improved. Now time to sell the P Zeros which only have 1,000 miles on them, fronts have 10/32nds left and rears have 9/32nds left.

So I found an independent shop that could mount the tires. They also did a 4 wheel alignment, which it really needed (I was looking at the screen when they first scanned the alignment). I have absolutely no rub, even when front wheels are fully turned (1/8" - 1/4" of clearance when full turned, plus you will only fully turn at very slow speeds), I love the way they look, I don't notice additional noise, I like the additional inch or so in ride height, and the ride is slightly improved. Now time to sell the P Zeros which only have 1,000 miles on them, fronts have 10/32nds left and rears have 9/32nds left.
Do you think you will have issues with loading items into trunk? My meaning is, will the wheels rub when hauling stuff in the back? Thank you for update!

Welcome to the club! Enjoy your new tires 👍
I am curious why you needed an alignment. Does it mean we need that checked out too? As far as I know, Tesla service center is the only place that could do the alignments. How off were your tires? Let us know please.

Last edited:
I just ordered the 265/40/21 285/40/21 setup. I really hope there is no rubbing. I wonder, why the wheels rub on some and don't on others.

I am in the NYC area and will be selling my stock Pirelli's(4) with 350 miles(Most are highway miles). Let me know if anyone is interested.

What would be a good selling price?

Reactions: Maximus2002
Welcome to the club! Enjoy your new tires 👍
I am curious why you needed an alignment. Does it mean we need that checked out too? As far as I know, Tesla service center is the only place that could do the alignments. How off were your tires? Let us know please.
I want to make sure I get as much life out of the tires as possible and didn't want uneven wear. I'm not familiar enough with all the alignment variables for each tire, but several of the measures were well out of the recommended spec. I have also heard that alignment has been off straight from the factory. This independent shop was definitely able to do it and they said they have done other Tesla's as well.

Reactions: Maximus2002
I want to make sure I get as much life out of the tires as possible and didn't want uneven wear. I'm not familiar enough with all the alignment variables for each tire, but several of the measures were well out of the recommended spec. I have also heard that alignment has been off straight from the factory. This independent shop was definitely able to do it and they said they have done other Tesla's as well.
Thank you for the information 👍