Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok let me throw you guys a curve ball. I was originally going to get a set of rear 21 Ubers and put it on the front so I could have a square setup, but with the 105XL rating for the front 265/40/21 tires, I can go with the cheaper and more conservative front tires/wheels in the rear as a square setup, right?

Ok let me throw you guys a curve ball. I was originally going to get a set of rear 21 Ubers and put it on the front so I could have a square setup, but with the 105XL rating for the front 265/40/21 tires, I can go with the cheaper and more conservative front tires/wheels in the rear as a square setup, right?
I've got a thread going in the for sale area about tradiing 2 uberturbines with someone. I'm after the fronts too. But plenty after the rears to be sqaure all around.

4300 miles with that much wear. Is that good? I'm wondering if fhere are all season tires at the bigger setup like yours that lasts at least 30k miles or more that is also quiet.
FWIW, I've ran every iteration of the Pilot Sport A/S on my Infiniti. I have never gotten more than 20k miles out of a set, from any generation. I have since switched to Continental DWS 06 and 06 Plus. On every car I have that tire, they last about 30k miles.... In either case, it didn't matter to me, as Discount Tire always prorated the warranty, so I never had to pay full price for a set of tires. In terms of comparisons to the Pilot Sport A/S tires I ran before... I'd say dry handling is slightly better with the Pilot Sports, wet handling was nearly identical... Snow performance, hands down the DWS was better.

Just installed the new tires. What a difference they made, the change made me really happy.
Man, those tires look perfect! The smaller fender gap looks equal all around, and they're flush with the fender lip. Other plusses I gather from this thread so far:
  • first-class "ultra high-performance" A/S tires with long tread life,
  • greater curb and impact protection,
  • little to no effect on range,
  • slightly more civilized ride,
  • little or no change in road noise,
  • and (I assume when you're looking from a distance) more aggressive stance.
The downsides I recall are:
  • non-existent or rare low-speed rubbing on the front wheel-well liners (no big deal),
  • low speedo readings (FWIW, every BMW I've owned was way off, high, from the factory),
  • slightly more body roll due to higher center of gravity,
  • and slightly longer 0-60 and 1/4-mile times.
I've still got plenty of tread on the P-Zeros, which I like as a summer tire, but when the rears go, I'll get the Michelins in these sizes. All in all, they seem like a winner.

Thanks for all the great photos. Depending on the shop. You could ask them to fit a single tire where if it fits you just buy it all or if it doesnt pay restocking fee. Some are willing it all depends on the tech as they are helping with the sell.

This obviously means they need to have the tire. You could always order your own and sell if it doesnt work. Lost only price of tire and discount for it being “used”
Another idea might be to have the tire shop fit an OLD USED tire from their recycle bin, of the size you want, and check the clearances.
Yes, it's worn, but a still a reasonable gauge for the purposes of fit-checking.
And it only costs anyone the cost of the mount / dismount. No 'risk of return'.

Man, those tires look perfect! The smaller fender gap looks equal all around, and they're flush with the fender lip. Other plusses I gather from this thread so far:
  • first-class "ultra high-performance" A/S tires with long tread life,
  • greater curb and impact protection,
  • little to no effect on range,
  • slightly more civilized ride,
  • little or no change in road noise,
  • and (I assume when you're looking from a distance) more aggressive stance.
The downsides I recall are:
  • non-existent or rare low-speed rubbing on the front wheel-well liners (no big deal),
  • low speedo readings (FWIW, every BMW I've owned was way off, high, from the factory),
  • slightly more body roll due to higher center of gravity,
  • and slightly longer 0-60 and 1/4-mile times.
I've still got plenty of tread on the P-Zeros, which I like as a summer tire, but when the rears go, I'll get the Michelins in these sizes. All in all, they seem like a winner.
Thank you. Your points are all correct, and I agree with you all the way. 👍

Reactions: Quorky
Thanks for all the info on these tires! I cannot wait to try them and test 285/40/21 and 265/40/21s on ubers. They’ve been sitting in garage…ordered on tire rack. Trying to wait as long as I can before mounting, another month or so to wear down these pzero’s.

I have a pretty well controlled and repeatable highway road trip that uses 95-98% of charge depending on my speed. I have saved charging, wh/mi, speed data, temp data with the OEM setup, it will be interesting to see how the tire swap compares and how the 82kwh pack chemistry in the MYP performs over time. The ubers wheels are heavy and inefficient in town, but they’re aerodynamic and very efficient on highway speeds, so we will see how these tires do 😃

Attachments

• 8335A91D-D047-4E47-9C57-CA9211CD1E8D.jpeg
    8335A91D-D047-4E47-9C57-CA9211CD1E8D.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for all the info on these tires! I cannot wait to try them and test 285/40/21 and 265/40/21s on ubers. They’ve been sitting in garage…ordered on tire rack. Trying to wait as long as I can before mounting, another month or so to wear down these pzero’s.

I have a pretty well controlled and repeatable highway road trip that uses 95-98% of charge depending on my speed. I have saved charging, wh/mi, speed data, temp data with the OEM setup, it will be interesting to see how the tire swap compares and how the 82kwh pack chemistry in the MYP performs over time. The ubers wheels are heavy and inefficient in town, but they’re aerodynamic and very efficient on highway speeds, so we will see how these tires do 😃
Congrats, I see the new tires in your picture. I am sure you will enjoy the new set as much as Quorky and I do, 👍.

Reactions: Quorky
Hi all. First time posting. I ordered the 285/40/21's and the 265/40/21's on tire america and had them shipped to a Midas for install. Got there and they said their machine would not handle the size. Where did you get the rubber mounted? Thanks!