Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for that! And one more question. On the rears, any thoughts on if a 295/40r21 (30.3" vs 30" on 285's) would still fit? Or are the 285's pretty tight?
My pleasure. I would think those tires would fit without any issues, but best bet would be double checking with your tire installer. Here is a comparison between the front and rear tires if you decide to go with 295/40R21, and 265/40R21 tires.
Tire Size.PNG

Am I crazy to try 265/40/21 snow tires on a MYP? I get winter options are better on 20s/19s, but honestly not that much if you are over 255 in width (albeit 21s are more expensive). If 265/40/21 and 285/40/21 on a MYP clears the Michelin all seasons, should clear winter tread as well. Overall size doesn't change. eh? I'm tired of wheel shopping.

Ok team, here it is: the new rubber was installed this morning and….it looks/rides great IMO! No pictures of the 265/40R21 front shoes as this has already been covered by @Quorky and @Maximus2002 (thank you both) in this thread; however, given the lack of availability of the 285/40 rear rubber (from TireRack), I installed 295/35R21 Pilot All Season 4 tires on the rear! It looks amazing, almost exactly replicates the sidewall dimension of the fronts, and looks incredibly meaty from the rear. To my eye, it looks nearly perfectly flush and offers enhaneed protection from road debris, imperfects, etc. No stats on efficiency yet, but this is less of a worry as this car is primarily used around town…. It’s only been a couple of hours, but I couldn’t be happier. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and dialogue.

2249A5B1-69B3-44FE-A4D0-AC1741F2666D.jpeg
BDD69FE0-51C8-4A2B-9020-876DB1B16B48.jpeg
0CBDB684-D196-433E-802F-66B0C9D51410.jpeg

**Incidentally, my essentially new OEM PZeros in original spec are currently listed for sale in the For Sale section on TMC. Someone is going to get a smokin’ hot deal on some 600-miles-from-new PZ4s…check ’em out! Stay well all.

Ok team, here it is: the new rubber was installed this morning and….it looks/rides great IMO! No pictures of the 265/40R21 front shoes as this has already been covered by @Quorky and @Maximus2002 (thank you both) in this thread; however, given the lack of availability of the 285/40 rear rubber (from TireRack), I installed 295/35R21 Pilot All Season 4 tires on the rear! It looks amazing, almost exactly replicates the sidewall dimension of the fronts, and looks incredibly meaty from the rear. To my eye, it looks nearly perfectly flush and offers enhaneed protection from road debris, imperfects, etc. No stats on efficiency yet, but this is less of a worry as this car is primarily used around town…. It’s only been a couple of hours, but I couldn’t be happier. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and dialogue.

View attachment 726396View attachment 726397View attachment 726398
Congratulations. Awesome pictures of your MYP with new tires. Drive safely 👍

Reactions: MJP.P3D-
I came out of the gym tonight with a large screw in my tire. They were already worn but at this point I could only drive a mile to my house. Going to call around tomorrow to see what options I have vs what is in stock. Worst case I might need to contact Tesla to see if I can just get 2 more rears installed of the Perellis As I can’t drive the car right now. I’d like to do the 265/40 and 285/40. Next option would be the 265/40 and 295/35 I guess?

Attachments

• B0194DFA-31FA-4CBB-A8A6-48F45508CC7E.jpeg
    B0194DFA-31FA-4CBB-A8A6-48F45508CC7E.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 138
I came out of the gym tonight with a large screw in my tire. They were already worn but at this point I could only drive a mile to my house. Going to call around tomorrow to see what options I have vs what is in stock. Worst case I might need to contact Tesla to see if I can just get 2 more rears installed of the Perellis As I can’t drive the car right now. I’d like to do the 265/40 and 285/40. Next option would be the 265/40 and 295/35 I guess?
Given the location of that screw, it looks like it could be worthy of patch if only to buy you a bit of time to get the tires you really want. You will likely have to remove the OEM foam but it should be doable (disclaimer: I do not have personal experience doing this). Still, I highly recommend the upsized tires: aesthetics, ride comfort and road imperfection resistance are all improved. Good luck.

Wow those look nice.. any potential issues with rubbing in the back with people sitting in the back. Is there enough clearance to clear the wheel well archs

I’ve had one child and one large dog in the back so far with no issues. Lots of uneven pavement and speed bumps around here and the car handled them effortlessly (with ~150# of passengers and more weight in the boot). These tires actually have a *slightly* smaller diameter than the 285/40R21s that others have installed so I‘m not expecting any difficulties. There was mention a few posts back about trying 295/40R21s which could experience some rubbing under load but without direct experience, I cannot confirm nor refute fitment. In any case, I’m more than pleased with my specific outcome.

Reactions: Maximus2002

View attachment 726396View attachment 726397View attachment 726398
looks sweet. enjoy the new tires!

So I just got the Michelin pilot all season 4’s 265/40/21 and 285/40/21 installed and they look and work great. But I also just realized there’s a recommended limit of 3% overall diameter change for cars and this is more like 5%. Is there a difference in EVs that makes it safe to go over this limit?
NO! It's no longer safe! Your best move at this point is to trade me your new tires for the OEM stock tires. I'm willing to do that for you. Paying it forward. :)

Hi folks,

I was looking to all-season alternative to P Zeros. Live in Seattle, winter tires makes no sense since roads are not cleaned when it snows anyway and everybody just stays at home.

I've ordered Pilot 4 All Seasons in 265/35/21+275/35/21 since Michelin doesn't make tires in stock 255/35/21 size. Then I've found this thread and decided to go up in the size. Stock size is so harsh.

So I've re-ordered these tires in 265/40/21+295/35/21 size. Bigger sidewall, meatier from the back, and I even saved $70 comparing to close-to-stock size ;)

Hi folks,

I was looking to all-season alternative to P Zeros. Live in Seattle, winter tires makes no sense since roads are not cleaned when it snows anyway and everybody just stays at home.

I've ordered Pilot 4 All Seasons in 265/35/21+275/35/21 since Michelin doesn't make tires in stock 255/35/21 size. Then I've found this thread and decided to go up in the size. Stock size is so harsh.

So I've re-ordered these tires in 265/40/21+295/35/21 size. Bigger sidewall, meatier from the back, and I even saved $70 comparing to close-to-stock size ;)
This is my exact spec — I couldn’t be happier. Good luck.