Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think I’d do okay in some moderate snow driving even with the massive wheels? All the A/S tires are M+S rated so I technically wouldn’t have to chain up in r2 conditions. Would it be a slip ‘n’ slide or would I have some traction?

Depends who you ask and what you tube channel you reviewed. I've seen some call them hockey pucks on ice and others taking high speed turns in the snow. I think AS would be fine on an AWD. I opted for a winter set but went back and forth.

Reactions: Heintzer
Can you take a picture please showing how much space is left between the tire and the rear part of the wheel well when wheels are turned 80%?
265/40/21, ubers, front.

Attachments

• 4F8276E9-1397-4B4B-A359-01BEFB55D74B.jpeg
    4F8276E9-1397-4B4B-A359-01BEFB55D74B.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 222
  • CD3BA92B-A12E-4A7C-B4C2-AC6A4FEA8BF2.jpeg
    CD3BA92B-A12E-4A7C-B4C2-AC6A4FEA8BF2.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: jmeiers
Since no one else has claimed the honor, I'm considering being the guinea pig for 295/40/21s in the rear, with 265/40/21 in front. Several people are running 285/40 in the rear and that was my original preference, but the Michelins are unavailable, and the Continentals (which Tire Rack rates more highly and are cheaper) don't seem to come in 285. I'm also considering 295/35, but that would have the car pitched slightly backwards, and I'm not sure I want that (though I do like the idea of the front and rears being almost exactly the same size).

Based on photos of the 285/40s, it looks like there's plenty of room for the extra ~.31" in diameter that a 295/40 would have. Am I correct that tires .31" larger in diameter would only sit half that (~.16") closer to the wheel well?

Since no one else has claimed the honor, I'm considering being the guinea pig for 295/40/21s in the rear, with 265/40/21 in front. Several people are running 285/40 in the rear and that was my original preference, but the Michelins are unavailable, and the Continentals (which Tire Rack rates more highly and are cheaper) don't seem to come in 285. I'm also considering 295/35, but that would have the car pitched slightly backwards, and I'm not sure I want that (though I do like the idea of the front and rears being almost exactly the same size).

Based on photos of the 285/40s, it looks like there's plenty of room for the extra ~.31" in diameter that a 295/40 would have. Am I correct that tires .31" larger in diameter would only sit half that (~.16") closer to the wheel well?
I’m anxious to see you do it, I really do think it’ll work, just don’t have documented proof in the forum yet. If I didn’t already have the AS4 265/40/21 fronts in my garage I think I likely would have gone with the Contis too.

I had the same apprehension about running the 295/35/21 in back but based on the photos of that setup I’ve seen on here and the testimonials, I don’t think I’ll notice the tiny difference in diameter in the back. The photos sure don’t appear to be pitched backward.

Your math sounds right, radius will equal .16” difference.

Reactions: Canyonero
@WG21 - I’m running 265/35/22 and 285/35/22 (same overall diameter purposed be the OP) and have 0 issues on stock performance suspension as well as being lowered an additional inch with Mountain Pass Performance coilovers.
Thank you. Great info.

I've found a square set of uberturbine 21x9.5s so was debating between running 265/40/21 in a square set up or just upsizing the tires on stock staggered set -- which looks a bit better. But I like square setups. Was hoping you said it rubs in the rear then my decision was easier. haha

I’m anxious to see you do it, I really do think it’ll work, just don’t have documented proof in the forum yet. If I didn’t already have the AS4 265/40/21 fronts in my garage I think I likely would have gone with the Contis too.
Lol got all the way to the point of checking out on Discount Tire to buy the Continentals and it made me enter my car, and then wouldn’t let me purchase the tires because they’re not a “compatible” size. Swear this whole process between the Walmart fiasco and everything has just been ridiculous.

Lol got all the way to the point of checking out on Discount Tire to buy the Continentals and it made me enter my car, and then wouldn’t let me purchase the tires because they’re not a “compatible” size. Swear this whole process between the Walmart fiasco and everything has just been ridiculous.
Seriously? It won't let you just bypass the compatibility check?

Yeah I suspect the store will be able to do it, but as far as I could figure the website wouldn’t.
I'm sure the store will be able to, they let me order the AS4 295/35/21s over the phone and I know those say they don't fit either.

You could probably also tell a white lie and list a car they deem a match.

Last edited:
Yes, have seen 275 40 20 without any issues. Trying to explore other options.
While overall diameter is the only aspect to consider, something for reference.
Rear and front Overall diameter on stock set up - 726 mm and 712 mm with 275's and 255's on 21" rim.
Rear and front Overall diameter with 275 40 20 at front and back is 728 mm which fits fine without any issues

285 35 20" overall wheel diameter will be 708 mm. 295 35 20 will be 715 mm( OEM set up 726 mm Rear and and 712 mm on OEM)
Anyone with wider than 275 on a square set up on MYP?

Once i get myp in Jan or feb since it’s on hold.. I’ll be running to get the 265/40/21 and 295/40/21. I’m with you i feel super confident they will fit.. i say go for it! I’m pretty excited to see the results.

On my crossclimate 2's at 255/45r20, there is about .5 inch space when the wheels are turned 100%. Is this a problem? I know the stock 21" tires are about an inch less in diameter. But no visible rubbing on these... are there driving conditions or ways that it would rub, or if there's that half inch space will that always be there?

I bought 265/40/21 and 295/40/21 Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultras for my MYP with EDD 12/16-12/31. The installer has them so just waiting for the car to get here. But will definitely post pictures if/when the car shows up.

But @Canyonero if you put yours on first, I'd love to see that and get the official confirmation it works, ha
Ordered mine yesterday, the rears have come in and the fronts are expected next week. I’ll definitely post pictures and impressions once they’re on, or a photo of my head in a bucket of water if they don’t fit.

Reactions: Quorky
Ordered mine yesterday, the rears have come in and the fronts are expected next week. I’ll definitely post pictures and impressions once they’re on, or a photo of my head in a bucket of water if they don’t fit.
From Discount Tire, correct? Did they give you an indication of how available the Contis are? Hoping they're not quite as scarce as the Michelins, I'm going to need to go that direction if the AS4 rears don't show up this week.