Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clearances for Wider / Taller tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Discount Tire, correct? Did they give you an indication of how available the Contis are? Hoping they're not quite as scarce as the Michelins, I'm going to need to go that direction if the AS4 rears don't show up this week.
Yeah, they operate as Americas Tire out here. I think they’re readily available, the rears arrived same day and the fronts should be here in 1-5 business days. They’re also cheaper than the AS4s by a not insignificant amount.

Due to lack of availability for Tsportline 19 or 20 inch TSV wheels and Michelin AS for the uberturbines, I opted for the Continental DWS06 plus. My hope is that these would be the lesser of all the evils if you end up running 21" uber's in upstate New York winters. I went with 265/40/21 in the front and 295/35/21 in the rear. no clearance issues to my knowledge - thanks to all of the research done by other posters. Attached are some pics for those still trying to make decisions (i know that other's pics helped me a lot along the way). Really dirty car, random pics, sorry.

Reactions: mmatlock
View attachment 738625
IMG_1368.jpg

Are you adjusting your efficiency for the error in the speedometer? Your true efficiency per mile should be viewed as "watts per mile consumption you see on your screen" divided by 1.039 (the error coefficient of your speedo). Please let us know if you are still seeing lower efficiency after this adjustment.

Does everyone who's done this still think the back never bottoms out? Even with 5 adults, loaded, etc.?

These setups look so nice.

Update: we just finished a 1000 mile road trip over the Thanksgiving break, up and down the PCH and 101 to Pismo, then Big Sur, back to Pismo, then down PCH to Santa Monica...lots of varied terrain, traffic, and speeds. I drove +5 mph over the 65 mph limit on the freeways.

I expected a pretty good hit to efficiency, but the numbers indicate otherwise. My avg was 309 wh/mi with P-zeroes after 2600 miles. Since switching, my efficiency is 308 wh/mi (before applying the 1.039 correction).

Corrected efficiency (divide by 1.039) is 296 wh/mi after 1800 miles.

Ride quality is still way better than stock IMO. My wife and I loaded up the trunk and back seats with gear for our trip and never bottomed out, and there are some pretty rough sections of road north of Cambria to Big Sur.
IMG_2394.jpeg

Due to lack of availability for Tsportline 19 or 20 inch TSV wheels and Michelin AS for the uberturbines, I opted for the Continental DWS06 plus. My hope is that these would be the lesser of all the evils if you end up running 21" uber's in upstate New York winters. I went with 265/40/21 in the front and 295/35/21 in the rear. no clearance issues to my knowledge - thanks to all of the research done by other posters. Attached are some pics for those still trying to make decisions (i know that other's pics helped me a lot along the way). Really dirty car, random pics, sorry.
Looks awesome, thank you for sharing. Discount Tire claims my AS4 295/35/21s arrive tomorrow (I'm cautiously optimistic) and although it's not the size I originally wanted, I think the .2" smaller diameter in the rear will be imperceptible. I'm curious to follow the AS4 vs DWS06+ cars over the next year to see how our wear patterns compare. I'd love to save some money on my next set if the Contis seem to perform and wear the same/better than the Michelins.

Reactions: Canyonero
Interested to hear any firsthand reports of snow handling for either the Michelin AS4s or Conti DWS06s in the bigger sizes discussed in this thread, if anyone's had a chance to test them in winter conditions.
My father in law had the Michelin AS4s last winter on his 3 and they didn't perform great in the snow. Fine for easy city driving since streets are plowed frequently, but once you get any reasonable amount of snow you have to drive on, these tires will have you slipping a lot.

Reactions: Heintzer
Update: we just finished a 1000 mile road trip over the Thanksgiving break, up and down the PCH and 101 to Pismo, then Big Sur, back to Pismo, then down PCH to Santa Monica...lots of varied terrain, traffic, and speeds. I drove +5 mph over the 65 mph limit on the freeways.

I expected a pretty good hit to efficiency, but the numbers indicate otherwise. My avg was 309 wh/mi with P-zeroes after 2600 miles. Since switching, my efficiency is 308 wh/mi (before applying the 1.039 correction).

Corrected efficiency (divide by 1.039) is 296 wh/mi after 1800 miles.

Ride quality is still way better than stock IMO. My wife and I loaded up the trunk and back seats with gear for our trip and never bottomed out, and there are some pretty rough sections of road north of Cambria to Big Sur.
View attachment 738633
Awesome. Glad to hear it.

Does anyone notice more "roll" if you take a corner fast with the increased profile? Just curious how much of the performance portion gets lost going up in size.
I think it would be a toss up because while there is more side wall flex because it is not stretched, on the other hand the contact patch is a larger so grip goes up either way. Steering feel may be less crisp but it holds the line a bit more.

Reactions: WG21
Does anyone notice more "roll" if you take a corner fast with the increased profile? Just curious how much of the performance portion gets lost going up in size.
it's not a taut racecar suspension, so the car won't transmit the handling changes as clearly to the driver. And the car isn't being driven at the limits, just in street traffic. But the larger sidewall becomes more damping that absorbs road variances, which is likely noticable to many people.

Reactions: Canyonero and WG21
These beefcakes arrived at my local Discount Tire today, they even have the ring velour to match the fronts. Feels good to have that sorted. What’s the over/under on how many more calls/trips to Walmart it will take to get the refund for their screw up (current count: 3 store trips, 3 calls to customer service)?

View attachment 738810
I've been thinking about 295/40ZR21 for the rears. They're available. But maybe rubbing under load? I hesitate to be the first!

Let us know your experience with the 295/35 Michelins.

About Walmart, for me so far, 3 customer service calls and 3 store visits. All four tires are still there. They refunded for the wrong rears, and I'm waiting on refund for the fronts, which were not discounted. If they insist I take them, I'll get the rears, size TBD, at Discount Tire. If they do refund for the (correct) fronts, I'll buy all four at Discount, hopefully with a price break of some kind, along with mount & balance. Walmarts around here can't mount anything over 20".

I've been thinking about 295/40ZR21 for the rears. They're available. But maybe rubbing under load? I hesitate to be the first!

Let us know your experience with the 295/35 Michelins.

About Walmart, for me so far, 3 customer service calls and 3 store visits. All four tires are still there. They refunded for the wrong rears, and I'm waiting on refund for the fronts, which were not discounted. If they insist I take them, I'll get the rears, size TBD, at Discount Tire. If they do refund for the (correct) fronts, I'll buy all four at Discount, hopefully with a price break of some kind, along with mount & balance. Walmarts around here can't mount anything over 20".
I’m hoping to get the 295/40/21 mounted this week, but had the shop order a set of 35s just in case.

Had to go to three Walmarts myself yesterday before finally finding one that would take them back. They gave me an instant refund for the rears sold by Walmart, and printed shipping labels to send back the fronts sold by a third party and told me the refund would post once they receive the tires. I have the tracking number, so I’m just praying they ship the correct tires to the third party seller.

I’m hoping to get the 295/40/21 mounted this week, but had the shop order a set of 35s just in case.

Had to go to three Walmarts myself yesterday before finally finding one that would take them back. They gave me an instant refund for the rears sold by Walmart, and printed shipping labels to send back the fronts sold by a third party and told me the refund would post once they receive the tires. I have the tracking number, so I’m just praying they ship the correct tires to the third party seller.
295/40r21 will be too big.

Reactions: Best_EV