Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Clunking F&R on '22 MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new MYP is getting creakier and has more suspension related knocking noises than I'd hope for only having 4500 miles.

It's the same sound a bad strut/shock or swaybar link. Sounds like both sides in the rear, and the front also has a knock/rattle/squeak when entering my sloped driveway. Left, right, center - seems like it's coming from everywhere. All of the dampers are dry, no oil leaks. I've checked as many bolts on the suspension as I can... everything seems fine.

The service center is 2.5hrs away, but I had mobile service here the other day and he said that re-torquing the subframe/other components can fix these issues.

Anyone been through this before recently? Should I get underneath, back off the subframe bolts, and re-torque them? I can't find a single component that seems loose, so I'm wondering if it's just in the subframe/body at this point and something needs to be re-torqued to fully-seat. I even rode in the rear "tub" while my father drove me around, and something is definitely causing a noise right behind the tub area. But it's not major, and sometimes can be hard to hear. Not willing to drive 5 hours round trip for the SC to not be able to find anything at the moment...

Is it possible some of this is just normal? I haven't checked the axle nuts... maybe something there?

IIRC, there have been a few reports of subframe bolts not being properly torqued. Do an advanced search.

IF they're loose, after 4500 miles, I would challenged the tech to determine if the holes have been worn by the constant shifting. I'm not sure how they'd check that, but for sure, make sure that question gets into your vehicle's history.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Check aero shields front and rear. These cars don't have the best sound insulation and there is no ICE to drown out noise. You will hear a lot of noises especially in the P models because they have less suspension travel.

If it's not something simple I would take it in. It could be suspension related. My driver front strut assembly was replaced to correct a noise. I had to take it in four times though before the techs were authorized to spend any time with the car to isolate.

Check aero shields front and rear. These cars don't have the best sound insulation and there is no ICE to drown out noise. You will hear a lot of noises especially in the P models because they have less suspension travel.

If it's not something simple I would take it in. It could be suspension related. My driver front strut assembly was replaced to correct a noise. I had to take it in four times though before the techs were authorized to spend any time with the car to isolate.
Did the replacement fix the noise? I am having a slight knocking sounds coming from both side of the front driving over small bumps at low speed. Looked at everything but struggling to find what it is. I even placed microphones around all the the different suspension mounts and it seems to be coming from the top of strut area which seems to point to faulty struts or top mount.

It did go away but has recently returned. I'm going to ignore it for now. It's obviously something with the strut assembly because it went away for a little over two months.
Hmm...when a noise goes away, I'm always more concerned that the noisy part has failed completely, and there might be collateral damage.

My opinion? Don't ignore this. Have a competent suspension shop isolate the noise and correct it. Don't rely entirely on Tesla service centers for this.

There's nothing special about M3 or MY suspensions. Seriously.

Hmm...when a noise goes away, I'm always more concerned that the noisy part has failed completely, and there might be collateral damage.

My opinion? Don't ignore this. Have a competent suspension shop isolate the noise and correct it. Don't rely entirely on Tesla service centers for this.

There's nothing special about M3 or MY suspensions. Seriously.
It has to be the strut. I may eventually do coilovers. They did check and make sure everything was torqued. I put it on the lift with the neighbor and we gently checked everything for play including subframe. All was good. The struts and sound insulation are garbage. Driver rear window seems a little loose but doesn't make any noise when door is closed.

I'm going to poke around tomorrow morning to see if I can find anything.

It has to be the strut. I may eventually do coilovers. They did check and make sure everything was torqued. I put it on the lift with the neighbor and we gently checked everything for play including subframe. All was good. The struts and sound insulation are garbage. Driver rear window seems a little loose but doesn't make any noise when door is closed.

I'm going to poke around tomorrow morning to see if I can find anything.
Unfortunately, when the car is on a lift it's taking the weight off the struts. Weight is falling downward instead of being pushed up.

Unfortunately, when the car is on a lift it's taking the weight off the struts. Weight is falling downward instead of being pushed up.
Yeah makes sense. We were mainly checking bushings, ball joints, and things like that with a pry bar. The noise went away completely when they replace the driver side strut assembly. After two months though it has come back. The car started making that noise at about 2500 miles. My opinion is that the struts are just no adequate for this car with the lowered suspension vs. LR. Car handles excellent though!

I have another thread with updates on my clunking issue. The SC now after 6 attempts and about 25 days in service is calling it characteristic of the car. They say another model Y performance (employee car) does it. It's been escalated to a regional engineer. I follow up next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: fiehlsport
I have a 2021 Y and it has made the knocking sound in the left front-you can feel it near your left foot. Always when going slow over a bump or into a elevated driveway as well as regular undulation in the road. Had it at two Tesla service facilities and no luck fixing it. They have supposedly torqued all to specs but have not replaced anything. Today after another visit the 2nd technician test drove with me and said it is the battery that is bolted in that is flexing the chassis. I went with him in a demo Y on the lot and it made a slight noise but not in the front and I think it was actually the hatch moving in the back. He says some make noise and some dont. Not what you want to hear as it drives me crazy. I am insisting it gets moved up to someone more knowledgeable as it is unacceptable to have this as "normal". Overall I feel no one at both Tesla service facilities has any desire to fix the problem. Not impressed overall with service and attitude.

To me, it’s clearly a strut clunk noise. I’ve heard this exact sound in my old M3 when the shock failed and was leaking oil.

Like 240v said, it’s probably just a strut not properly engineered for the application. Too weak to deal with MYP ride height and the ridiculously stiff spring rate.