Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension differences - LR-AWD vs. Performance

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
I just changed to fixed-dampening, adjustable ride height coil overs from Mountain Pass. $1800.

My opinion is that you should budget to change the suspension upon delivery. Telsa used very low quality dampeners and you really feel it on long drives. Now my car rides like a premium European sport sedan.

Just pretend Tesla has an option on the order page to upgrade to premium suspension for $2k, and mentally check that box.

Last edited:

EmOne

Mar 28, 2020
Chicago
I just changed to fixed-dampening, adjustable ride height coil overs from Mountain Pass. $1800.

My opinion is that you should budget to change the suspension upon delivery. Telsa used very low quality dampeners and you really feel it on long drives. Now my car rides like a premium European sport sedan.

Just pretend Tesla has an option on the order page to upgrade to premium suspension for $2k, and mentally check that box.
I find your input very interesting in that I switch back and forth from my BMW 1M (pretty much same set-up as E90 M3) and find the damping (sic) to be comparable. It's not that I don't think both (my 1M and my M3P) can be improved upon and the KW's that MP uses (I think) would, properly adjusted, likely do so, but I think the M3P has a pretty respectable suspension stock. I for one do not find it overly firm/jolting/etc. even though I think 18" wheels would suit street use better than the 20's.

lozza

Oct 8, 2018
Bay Area, CA
Can you find a P3D-? Best of all worlds, then you can mod a performance car. First impactful mod... Switch the 18" Primacy MX4s to Michelin Pilot 4/4S... Makes a night and day difference

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
I find your input very interesting in that I switch back and forth from my BMW 1M (pretty much same set-up as E90 M3) and find the damping (sic) to be comparable. It's not that I don't think both (my 1M and my M3P) can be improved upon and the KW's that MP uses (I think) would, properly adjusted, likely do so, but I think the M3P has a pretty respectable suspension stock. I for one do not find it overly firm/jolting/etc. even though I think 18" wheels would suit street use better than the 20's.

My feedback is pretty much what you will get from anyone that changed out the stock suspension. You'll feel the difference for yourself if you ever get to ride in a Model 3 with upgraded suspension. But if you live where the roads are really nice, especially the freeways, you won't really buy much. Around here in Houston, the concrete doesn't last because of the soft soil (mostly clay that dries up and then swells with the variations between floods and droughts that we have), and you can really tell they are cheap dampeners from the factory.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC