Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension differences - LR-AWD vs. Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to decide between the LR-AWD and Performance models and my decision revolves around handling rather than power. I had a fairly long test drive in both cars today (the LR-AWD had standard 18" wheel while the Performance had 20s).

Referring strictly to differences in suspension, does anyone know the differences between the two cars? Though the LR-AWD had a softer ride, it seemed to pass through slightly more road vibrations to the cabin. The Performance, OTOH, was noticeably firmer, but also seemed to do a slightly better job absorbing road vibrations. Are the stocks/struts different, or is it just the springs?

Thank you,
Robert

For whatever reason, the P seemed to have a different character at the steering wheel. It feels a bit more resolved and refined, but I'm not sure if it's software programming, differences in suspension tuning, or complete BS on my part.

I suppose the question is how much handling improvement I can achieve on the LR-AWD model with 19" sport wheels and performance (non-Tesla) tires.

never seen definitive proof that the hardware (dampers) or geometry is different for the cars. besides the ride height, which the performance is supposed to be lower..due to shorter springs?

a parts check can confirm that.

the differences in the way you feel might be that performance come with low-profile summer tires, and the other models come with taller sidewall tires and thus less responsive or feelsome

Reactions: David.85D
M3P is not a steal but you get what you are paying for. If you want to mod I would say get a LR. Modding, arguably, will get you a better handling and looking product with the LR. If you want a ready package or just want to do a few small mods than the M3P is the way to go. My decision came from knowing that I could never get a LR to accelerate like a P with modding. With an ICE I would consider supercharging but that is not an option with a EV.

Left front damper assembly part numbers:

PDM part #: 1044363-04-B
AWD part #: 1044363-00-F
RWD part #: 1044092-00-A

Rear springs have different part numbers as well for the different levels. (RWD, AWD, P)
The front sway bar has 2 parts listed as does the rear:

FR STABAR ASSY, 29MM x 5.0MM
FR STABAR ASSY, 28MM x 5.0MM

STABAR ASSY, REAR, 19.6MM x 2.6MM
STABAR ASSY, REAR, 16.0MM

most people use turbos now because they are more efficient and create less strain on the engines.

Forced induction is forced induction; perhaps you meant that a turbo doesn't rob horsepower from the engine to create the intake pressure so efficiency differences can sometimes be quite noteable.

But EVs need no such things; I used to love my turbo ICE cars but that was before my stealth Performance 3

For OP if you can't find a stealth and prefer your own mods, the LR can get the software boost for acceleration if that matters to you. Tires also really do make a big difference in ride, handling and all inputs really - braking feel, steering etc. I wish it was easy to test drive both to see which matters most to you but these are weird times. I've never been disappointed in my car, essentially LR AWD suspension bits; I rather quite like it actually

Forced induction is forced induction; perhaps you meant that a turbo doesn't rob horsepower from the engine to create the intake pressure so efficiency differences can sometimes be quite noteable.

no it is not the same; you're referencing parasitic loss and that is only one of the aspects (the efficiency part I mentioned). One of the major traits of a turbo is that after it is spooled, it essentially creates both a significantly higher vacuum (on the exhaust) and pressurization in the cylinder - during the cycles. sucking out exhaust and allowing fresh air to enter the cylinder easier. With a supercharger, it essentially is no different than the process that occurs with an NA cycle other than the intake gases being pressurized instead of vacuum fed.

The easiest way to see the differences is to refer to the camshafts used for nitrous/blowers/turbos and you'll see a significant variation in the designs necessary to take advantage of each technology.

Left front damper assembly part numbers:

PDM part #: 1044363-04-B
AWD part #: 1044363-00-F
RWD part #: 1044092-00-A

FR STABAR ASSY, 29MM x 5.0MM
FR STABAR ASSY, 28MM x 5.0MM

STABAR ASSY, REAR, 19.6MM x 2.6MM
STABAR ASSY, REAR, 16.0MM

Can you unpack this for me a bit? Are there meaningful differences between the PDM ane AWD dampers? Also, are the swaybars different (I can't quite tell from your post).

thank you,
Robert

my decision revolves around handling rather than power.

If so, I concur with one of the comments above: get an AWD and invest into tires and an aftermarket suspension upgrade. The handling will be better than P. Depending on what you are used to and what good handling means for you, you may want to look at a comfort or sport aftermarket suspension setups. If you are unsure, ask forum members with aftermarket suspensions to demo them for you; should not be a problem to find someone around L.A.