Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension differences - LR-AWD vs. Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just changed to fixed-dampening, adjustable ride height coil overs from Mountain Pass. $1800.

My opinion is that you should budget to change the suspension upon delivery. Telsa used very low quality dampeners and you really feel it on long drives. Now my car rides like a premium European sport sedan.

Just pretend Tesla has an option on the order page to upgrade to premium suspension for $2k, and mentally check that box.

Last edited:
Reactions: afadeev
I just changed to fixed-dampening, adjustable ride height coil overs from Mountain Pass. $1800.

My opinion is that you should budget to change the suspension upon delivery. Telsa used very low quality dampeners and you really feel it on long drives. Now my car rides like a premium European sport sedan.

Just pretend Tesla has an option on the order page to upgrade to premium suspension for $2k, and mentally check that box.
I find your input very interesting in that I switch back and forth from my BMW 1M (pretty much same set-up as E90 M3) and find the damping (sic) to be comparable. It's not that I don't think both (my 1M and my M3P) can be improved upon and the KW's that MP uses (I think) would, properly adjusted, likely do so, but I think the M3P has a pretty respectable suspension stock. I for one do not find it overly firm/jolting/etc. even though I think 18" wheels would suit street use better than the 20's.

I find your input very interesting in that I switch back and forth from my BMW 1M (pretty much same set-up as E90 M3) and find the damping (sic) to be comparable. It's not that I don't think both (my 1M and my M3P) can be improved upon and the KW's that MP uses (I think) would, properly adjusted, likely do so, but I think the M3P has a pretty respectable suspension stock. I for one do not find it overly firm/jolting/etc. even though I think 18" wheels would suit street use better than the 20's.

My feedback is pretty much what you will get from anyone that changed out the stock suspension. You'll feel the difference for yourself if you ever get to ride in a Model 3 with upgraded suspension. But if you live where the roads are really nice, especially the freeways, you won't really buy much. Around here in Houston, the concrete doesn't last because of the soft soil (mostly clay that dries up and then swells with the variations between floods and droughts that we have), and you can really tell they are cheap dampeners from the factory.

I just purchased a preowned Model 3 LR and the PO put on lowerering springs. I like it but sadly I bottom out on my ramp to my parking spot. There are some used 2019 M3P AWD for sale that I want to buy but will these work for my car?

I just went to the local service center/showroom to look at the 2022's since my 2018 was officially totaled by insurance this week. I could not tell the difference in ride height between the 2022 performance and 2022 non-performance models. When I talked to the sales associate all he could tell me was that the configurator didn't show the height changing between models anymore and lowered suspension was no longer listed as a feature of the performance model. I wish I had brought a tape measure with me to confirm the ride height and wheel gap between the two.

I am gonna be honest, I wanted to get another Model 3 if the settlement is enough but between the ugly ass uberturbines (look like someone painted their hubcaps with a can of krylon to me) and the higher ride height, the car looked way less aggressive than my 2018 Model 3 Performance (may she rest in peace). I honestly didn't like the looks of it at all and I just can't see myself I dropping $63k + taxes and fees on a performance car and then immediately swapping out the rims and springs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evpowerdan
Bummer on getting your sweet sliver M3P totaled by the insurance. There is a no win there today, as if it could be fix, parts shortages would stretch the repairs for months. Now you have to haggle with your insurance company and try to get the best replacement value in todays market.

You could always look for a 2020 M3P, as it does not have the Uberturbines and lower suspension. Or just go in a different EV path...

As of Feb 2022 the Model 3 Performance no longer included the "lowered suspension" option.

Has anyone confirmed that Tesla switched out the Performance suspension?

Is it now the same as the LR?

Any decrease in Performance due to higher right height and new suspension?

Keep in mind the "base" P didn't have the lowered suspension either, it was physically identical to the LR AWD at the time, just with software unlocked higher performance......back in 2018 it was a $5000 upgrade to get the PUP with the slightly lower suspension, 20" wheels, spoiler, metal pedals, and the red brakes.... It was only later they decided to make the PUP 'standard' and stop letting you order the base model.

No reason there'd be any performance difference, the "lowered" suspension was like 0.4 inches or something tiny anyway.

Keep in mind the "base" P didn't have the lowered suspension either, it was physically identical to the LR AWD at the time, just with software unlocked higher performance......back in 2018 it was a $5000 upgrade to get the PUP with the slightly lower suspension, 20" wheels, spoiler, metal pedals, and the red brakes.... It was only later they decided to make the PUP 'standard' and stop letting you order the base model.

No reason there'd be any performance difference, the "lowered" suspension was like 0.4 inches or something tiny anyway.
I had the PUP on my 2018 and it was noticeably lower than other models when they were parked next to each other. I agree it wasn't a huge drop but it made a difference in the look and the stance of the car. I am not that concerned with the "performance" aspect of a slightly lower suspension as it is a street car but aesthetically the 2022 just seems uglier due to the higher ride height and ugly rims.

Do you know if it has been confirmed that the 2022 Performance is no longer lowered? All the evidence I see points to that, but I haven't seen anything official aside from the changes in the performance model description on the configuration tool.

Bummer on getting your sweet sliver M3P totaled by the insurance. There is a no win there today, as if it could be fix, parts shortages would stretch the repairs for months. Now you have to haggle with your insurance company and try to get the best replacement value in todays market.

You could always look for a 2020 M3P, as it does not have the Uberturbines and lower suspension. Or just go in a different EV path...
Yeah it sucks, there is no other way to say it. Long story short the 2020's all cost as much as the 2022s right now but that is an option. I don't want to hijack this thread though I was mostly trying to find out if the 2022 P was no longer lowered and it seems that way though I still can't confirm for sure.

@golfcart I'd consider offering to swap you my "lowered" suspension / springs I took off my 2021 M3P at under 5k miles, for the equivalent parts from a new 2022. But I'm too far away to make that worthwhile.

Maybe you can find someone nearby who went to coilovers and would be open to trading their spare stock suspension / springs for yours if you get a new 2022 car?

Tesla also has a supercharger, so I guess we’re all dummies on this one lol
But it is so much more exciting standing next to your Taycan or M50 at the poorly lit back end of a Walmart parking lot plugged into Dieselgate/EA listening to gunfire in the distance and weighing whether it'd be safer pull the fly down over the ditch vs the long walk across the parking lot.