Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension differences - LR-AWD vs. Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No reason there'd be any performance difference, the "lowered" suspension was like 0.4 inches or something tiny anyway.
That "tiny" 0.4 inches is 10mm.

BMW M4's CSL trim lowers the car by 7.5mm.
Audi RS5 Competition Package lowers the car by 10mm.
Porsche's PASM suspension package lowers their cars by 10mm.
Porsche's GT3 compared to GTS is lowered by 15mm.

Reactions: Steel28
That "tiny" 0.4 inches is 10mm.

BMW M4's CSL trim lowers the car by 7.5mm.
Audi RS5 Competition Package lowers the car by 10mm.
Porsche's PASM suspension package lowers their cars by 10mm.
Porsche's GT3 compared to GTS is lowered by 15mm.

Yes, factory drops tend to be tiny.

Hence why the aftermarket exists.

18” will not fit on a performance with the larger calipers

Sure it will- just not the OEM tesla 18s

Reactions: GuyDude
Those are "serious" packages and trims. I would not characterize them as "no difference".

KW aftermarket coilovers for performance cars offer adjustment range typically 5-25mm. 10mm in that context is pretty meaningful.

Can you cite some objective, measured, differences In terms of performance gain with a 10mm drop on a Model 3P?

Because that was the actual context of the question- since you seem very confident there IS a significant difference, surely you have data to support that right?

I ask because to my knowledge nobody has even shown such a difference when comparing, say, the M3P+ (which has the drop, until perhaps recently when it appears to have gone away) and the M3P- which does not.

Can you cite some objective, measured, differences In terms of performance gain with a 10mm drop on a Model 3P?

Because that was the actual context of the question- since you seem very confident there IS a significant difference, surely you have data to support that right?

I ask because to my knowledge nobody has even shown such a difference when comparing, say, the M3P+ (which has the drop, until perhaps recently when it appears to have gone away) and the M3P- which does not.
You made the initial claim - 'no reason for performance gain from tiny 0.4in drop'. Burden of proof is on you.

Where's your citation of objective measurements showing no performance gain from 0.4in?

That a drop of that range (10 and 15mm instead of 30, 40, 50mm) is a common key difference provided by package, trim, and aftermarket upgrades on high performance vehicles, implies that it is a meaningful differentiator. While that in itself is not infallible proof, it is more substantial than what you have provided: nothing.

You made the initial claim - 'no reason for performance gain from tiny 0.4in drop'. Burden of proof is on you.

And I cited the fact the non-dropped P does not appear to have any measurable performance delta from the dropped P.

Tesla sold both versions for years.

You can view performance data freely on draggy leaderboards for example.... In fact, the NON dropped one typically has more of the better times (though that's almost surely a reflection of the lighter wheels than anything about the suspension).

You think I'm wrong. Burden of proof is now on you.

That a drop of that range (10 and 15mm instead of 30, 40, 50mm) is a common key difference provided by package, trim, and aftermarket upgrades on high performance vehicles, implies that it is a meaningful differentiator.

Naah... GIANT wheels is often also a differentiator and often hurts performance.

See also drilled rotors which objectively suck in most applications but LOOK cool so often appear in "performance" packages.

Get the P model (for its engine performance) and replace the wheels for 18" ones so you get better range
18” will not fit on a performance with the larger calipers

To be clear, OEM Tesla 18" wheels will not fit over TM3P calipers.
Many aftermarket 18" wheels do fit. Their aero impact on range is rarely documented.

The unfortunate trade-off with 18" wheels is you have a much more constrained selection of quality tires in 235/45-18" size than you do in 235/35-20" tire size.

and you do not have to replace tires (and even sometimes wheels) due to pothole damages.

Alas, you will also be riding on the compromise lower-performance and lower-safety tires.

No free lunch.

The unfortunate trade-off with 18" wheels is you have a much more constrained selection of quality tires in 235/45-18" size than you do in 235/35-20" tire size.
Alas, you will also be riding on the compromise lower-performance and lower-safety tires.
I bought both the AEZ wheels and Michelin tires 235/45R18 for the price of just Michelin tires 235/35R20.
For the latter not sure what did you mean is better. 18" has 2.5% better performance (as the tire diameter is smaller) making the 0-60mph 3.5s instead of 3.6s (full acceleration, no 1st foot rollout fake). And safety is obviously better with higher tires on 18" when I talked about the potholes.

And I cited the fact the non-dropped P does not appear to have any measurable performance delta from the dropped P.

Tesla sold both versions for years.

You can view performance data freely on draggy leaderboards for example.... In fact, the NON dropped one typically has more of the better times (though that's almost surely a reflection of the lighter wheels than anything about the suspension).
DRAGGY? hahahahah. Draggy the straight line acceleration tool, when we're talking about suspension height?
You're so lost, you're not barking up the wrong tree, you're in the wrong damn forest.

Naah... GIANT wheels is often also a differentiator and often hurts performance.

See also drilled rotors which objectively suck in most applications but LOOK cool so often appear in "performance" packages.
Often the larger wheels are there to accomodate larger brakes. The drilled brakes often accompany better calipers as an entire super braking package. Nevermind drilled rotors are pretty much absent now, so this is a complete red herring. Stick to being wrong just about the suspension.

A bit unrelated, but I think most would agree a big part of lower ride height for daily use is more for appearance. I used to lower all my cars when I was young but I got tired of crawling over speed bumps. I really hope Model 3/Y's eventually get air suspension option too. THen you can have the look with option to raise it when needed (I love the GPS based height adjustments too that Model S/X has)

Reactions: GalacticHero
DRAGGY? hahahahah. Draggy the straight line acceleration tool, when we're talking about suspension height?
You're so lost, you're not barking up the wrong tree, you're in the wrong damn forest.

Then surely you can direct us to the tool you used to provide evidence the 0.4" drop provided a performance benefit, right?

Where was that again?

Heck I'd even take a chart showing measured non-straight-line tracks where P3D+ were consistently running significantly better times than P3D- vehicles.

Do you have such evidence or are you again just insisting there's a significant difference...because... you say so?

It'd be even odder if you WERE able to prove it was much more than a cosmetic difference and yet Tesla still appears to have chosen to abandon it on their PERORMANCE model at this point.

No free lunch.
@afadeev There's lots of good tire options in 245/45R18, which fits great on 18x8.5" wheels. No need for lower performance or safety.

Edit: I also recall seeing a perfectly reasonable selection in 235/45R18, but I was focused on 245/45R18 as that was my preferred sizing anyways (for 18x8.5" wheels).

Last edited:
Reactions: Evpowerdan

No free lunch.
Not true. lots of high performance all season and summer tires to choose from in 235/245/45/18. 20" rims with 235/245/35/20 limits your to choices.

Last edited: