Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension engineers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any automobile suspension people worked on how to improve the awful ride of the Model 3?

Every cigarette but or gum wrapper you roll over jars your teeth. Of course I never exaggerate.

But it is nowhere near the ride one would expect from a 60K car.

Don't get me wrong -- I love my Tessie but would like to improve the ride, if possible.
There is a company called MPP that makes a "comfort" suspension. You'll see reviews of it in this forum.

Reactions: P-Lo801
A car can be stiffer but still ride better with higher quality dampers.

Yeah, but that's a bit tangential. I did not find the ride to be harsh at all (granted, I've only done the test drive......I think mine will be here Friday). I am genuinely wondering what it is being compared to. Some people think a car that "rides" well is one where you get zero feedback.

At some point, well actually it was suppose to coincide with the dual motor release (based on an old Elon tweet) but it didn't - the Model 3 was going to get an air suspension option. Not sure if that'll ever happen but maybe it would make a difference for people like you.

Check your tire pressures, and I'd say lower them to 42 cold. Adjust from there to your liking from both a comfort and efficiency POV.

If it's still rough, then schedule an appt with your service center. It is possible for suspension members to be mistakenly over-tightened, or installed incorrectly in such a way that it influences ride quality. Not saying that I've heard of this being a Tesla problem, but it can happen.

I have a P3D+, drive on San Diego roads, and it's only on the REAL crummy roads where I consider my ride to be jarring. Even when I had the 20s, it wasn't that bad.

Check your tire pressures, and I'd say lower them to 42 cold. Adjust from there to your liking from both a comfort and efficiency POV.

If it's still rough, then schedule an appt with your service center. It is possible for suspension members to be mistakenly over-tightened, or installed incorrectly in such a way that it influences ride quality. Not saying that I've heard of this being a Tesla problem, but it can happen.

I have a P3D+, drive on San Diego roads, and it's only on the REAL crummy roads where I consider my ride to be jarring. Even when I had the 20s, it wasn't that bad.
============
My car came with the tires at 42.

So now we have this thread saying the ride is too harsh, and then another thread where someone says the suspension is floaty.

That would mean the OEM dampers have too much high-speed damping, and too little low-speed damping (<70% of critical if I understand correctly the general threshold for floaty feel). My 07 Miata had that characteristic in the OEM suspension, but I don't really feel that in the Model 3 suspension myself. M3 high speed damping feels reasonable to me (car doesn't feel skittery or like it's not absorbing bumps), and low-speed damping feels pretty good, too (car settles relatively quickly in transition, given the weight - also helps the CG is so low and probably pretty close to roll center).

Do any of the aftermarket guys have a curve from running the OEM dampers on a shock dyno? Would love to see if there is some ground truth here.

I would hardly consider the Model 3 suspension harsh. It isn't the smoothest, floatiest ride, but that's also not the intent of this car. The Model 3 was designed to be sporty, not luxurious. The factory suspension is fairly well balanced and capable right out of the box; not many manufacturers can say that.

However, if you are truly concerned with the suspension, take a look at MPP's Comfort Coilovers. They should help resolve your concern.

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass