Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could this be right? If so then it's a bit concerning.

Another front suspension control arm failure
Target, Yesterday at 1:29 AM
electricdave,
You have provided the proof of the primary failure mode these are experiencing!

Their casting is probably cooling too quickly at that end as the break appears at the end where the liquid metal is poured in. You see how jagged that break is? That is the boundary where the two sides of the mold tried to join, and didn't quite fully join before starting to cool and crystallize. I am not a casting expert, but my limited experience would suggest they need need to increase the pool of metal above the part so this section can fully join together, or pour that end as a solid, and then drill the hole out during machining. Probably doing both should yield the properties that they need.

The bad news, inspecting this point of the part via die penetrant is going to be tricky, due to it's location, and it's probable porosity. The flip side is that inspecting for porosity might reveal this condition as a new part. Xray would be more likely to show this error though, but that is a time consuming process.

What we could do is determine if there is a specific steering and suspension angle that we could park/jack the car into that puts static stress on this part and then go carefully inspect for any small cracks in this area when they are being opened by the static stress. If this were an airplane and that was a device controlling a flight control surface, it would be recalled.

Well had it confirmed today that my 3 month old car needs to have its steering harness replaced! All under warranty but sheesh.

The day I picked up a BMW X3 (some years back) the computer failed, a BMW 130i Convertible had a roof issue that had it back at BMW 12 times before I threatened legal action, BMW 328i was in and out of service centre it's whole life of ownership....going to Tesla and I have never looked back...have I had issues? Yes....have they been fixed? Yes... Have I had issues with failing parts over and over? No....

If you drive over a pothole you might just get what you ask for :)

Load of rubbish, I drove over a massive pothole that exploded/popped a front and back tyre on the one side of the car (Model S with the 21inch wheels)....no rim issue/damage....two new tyres and all good to go. I might add Tesla turned up in 30mins to flatbed my car to a local tyre shop. In 4 years of driving 21inch wheels on a Model S and 18months on 22's in our Model X and we have ZERO, NO, ZIP issues with our wheels.

Besides, cracked wheels on performance wheels (if driven over large potholes) on ALL brands of cars is nothing new....don't even own a Tesla do you @George Marley ?

Last edited:
Moderators note:
Please do not use politics to attempt to prove a point or put down other users or groups of users.
Also please do not respond to Political jibe post, know instead that the moderator will deal with them.
3 comments now deleted.
Amen… thank you for saying that. I'm getting really tired of seeing people using any excuse to post their personal political views. I hope this doesn't become another Facebook.

There have been a few posts about suspension failures. Several of them have show pictures where an impact had weakened them, and others show no impacts. That seems to make a major difference on warranty coverages.

It may be that your several country road potholes weakened your suspension, and ultimately had something to do with the failure.

Sorry you had to go through this. It does not seem to be a rampant issue with Tesla, but there have been instances of the aluminum suspension components failing.

yup agree and I am one of those. What a bummer. I had a suspension failure by simply backing out of a parking space last year. I was thinking it shouldn't fail by just coming backward out of a parking space. But then someone came up to me and said then saw a truck accidentally back into my front tire and then left. Sure enough on the store cameras, that is what happened. Insurance had to pay to tow it and fix it. Point being that one never knows what happens to a car when they aren't around it. Problem could be anything, not necessarily a Tesla issue.

And this reminds my of my first car, a Chevy Nova SS. I broke one of the 3 engine mounts by hitting the accelerator a little too hard. Over 5 years, I did it twice. A common problem with that car. One would think that as long as Chevrolet has been in the business, they would not make that mistake, so I will cut Tesla a little slack with building a really complicated car and getting the great majority of it right :)

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
. [URL='https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/members/eclectricdave.43615/' said:
eclectricdave[/URL], Jan 9, 2020
My left front suspension failed. I have less than a month warranty. The camber arm or fore arm broke at the inside end. There are are plenty of references on the US part of the forum. Mine is a 2015 85D. It is not driveable & has been taken away on a flatbed. I have now lost all confidence in Teslas & regret my purchase. I have never had a suspension fault in any vehicle Ive owned before & this includes a 911 Porsche. Ive been to Cooketown & back to Melbourne. What if this fault had occurred back of Townsville? Fix with fencing wire? Tesla needs to do a recall & address this problem.

I think the OP might be Keef.. he's from Australia.. that's a dead givaway.

Attachments

• wish.JPG
    wish.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 59