TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Suspension Issue

Discussion in 'Model S' started by CarMan, Aug 30, 2018.

1. CarMan

CarMan New Member

I’ve searched and read several issues with the control arms in the model s. I bought my first Tesla last month and my wife loved it so last week I bought her one as well. Both are pre owned P85s. Hers started popping bad yesterday and I started looking around. What I discovered is down right scary. The control arms on both sides are rusted like crazy. Not only that but it appears that the arms are worn to a point where they are chewing up the body mount and leaving metal shavings in the arm wells. How many of you have had such an issue and did Tesla help with the repairs? The control arms look like lot metal. On the other hand, the ones on my car look new.

Attached Files:

2. daktari

daktari Member

This salvage yard has a lot of them and they rust.We have salted roads in the winter, so tough for the cars.
    I have not heard of it destroying the chassis though. Has the car hit something in its life?

3. CarMan

CarMan New Member

The CARFAX and Autocheck are clean. I also had the unibody inspected pre purchase. It’s a new development over the last couple of days. I’m not really sure what route to take other than replacing the front control arms and ball joints

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Lots of reports like this especially in cars in the snowbelt in early models... I'd like to think Tesla has improved the resiliance over time but dont know.

The other reports from salty road environments are the mirror mounts ... :(