Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rather suspect that Tesla meant to say “drives” down a dirt road rather than “lives”. Let’s hope that gets corrected.

So how many times would you estimate that you have driven down that dirt road in your Model S?

Suspension Problem on Model S

The car was never used as an off road vehicle. Most of the 70 thousand mile are highway driving.

According to him he's never been down that dirt road.

They definitely need to clarify the wording on the NDA. That's all that's needed to satisfy NHTSA.

Glad that you agree. Feds should go further, and ask Tesla to make the new terms retroactive. Meaning, people who signed this blanket NDA earlier, can now disclose the issues they had, and incidents leading to their repairs/exchanges. For example, it is in every X buyer's interest to know, how many Model X's were exchanged by Tesla. Hushing such information with NDAs is no good.

And I was wondering, without any idea of what vehicles and operating conditions @Legistsu was talking about, how you can make the determination:
based on the fact that you have never had issues with your cars?

He made stated in serveral messages back to back that it's not normal for ball joints to last longer than 50K and that he's even had multiple ball joint failures at 20K. Again, I call BS.

Reactions: v12 to 12v
I would certainly like to know if it is true that OP lives at the end of a long dirt road down which he was driving his Tesla. As someone who has defended him I'd really appreciate an honest answer..

From the OP "driving on a back road at a very low rate of speed, about 5 MPH. The road was rough so my air ride was at it max lift. As I was proceeding down a steep hill"

Glad that you agree. Feds should go further, and ask Tesla to make the new terms retroactive. Meaning, people who signed this blanket NDA earlier, can now disclose the issues they had, and incidents leading to their repairs/exchanges. For example, it is in every X buyer's interest to know, how many Model X's were exchanged by Tesla. Hushing such information with NDAs is no good.
I said "clarify" the wording. They don't need to change the terms on the existing agreements because they already were supposed to allow contacting the authorities. Though Tesla could send a letter to those who have signed an NDA to explain in greater detail what the contract entails, as a gesture of good will to NHTSA.

I said "clarify" the wording. They don't need to change the terms on the existing agreements because they already were supposed to allow contacting the authorities. Though Tesla could send a letter to those who have signed an NDA to explain in greater detail what the contract entails, as a gesture of good will to NHTSA.

So you still think it's okay for Tesla to insist that the owners HIDE the issue from others, except authorities? That doesn't seem legit, or fair to new customers. Will see how this unfolds.

BTW, the NHTSA investigates THOUSANDS of complaints every year on nearly every make and model of car and the vast majority of them do not result in the conclusion of a defect. If I had to place odds or make bet on even odds, I'd bet that this will turn out to be a single unusual failure due to unusual or undetermined circumstances and that the NHTSA won't find a pattern or a manufacturing or design defect. There, I guess I just broke my word saying I wouldn't speculate.

Just something I came across:

http://listings.findthecompany.com/l/15314477/Guy-Peter-Cordaro-in-Connellsville-PA

1. The OP's username is "gpcordaro"
2. A search of Peter Cordaro, Connellsville, PA turned up a "Guy Peter Cordaro"
3. This Guy Peter Cordaro owns a vehicle leasing company
4. Could this be OP, and could he have been leasing his car out?

Just wondering, as I found it interesting. Note, this could be a different person entirely...*shrugs*

Last edited:
It's very unfortunate that both the owner and the service center missed the fact that the part was in such bad shape (I'm sure that's part of the reason why Tesla offered to cover some of the costs), but it happens from time to time. Owning a car means that sometimes you need to deal with stuff breaking.

I would be interested in more details on the checks performed during a Tesla service. I have attached the check list from my most recent service at Audi (in German, sorry). The line that contains 'Motor, ..., Lenkung: auf Undichtigkeiten und Beschädigungen prüfen' includes a check of the steering for leaks and damages, and the next line with 'Bauteile der Vorder- und Hinterachse: ...' is the same for the components of the front and rear axle. 'i.O' can be read as 'in order', 'n.i.O' as 'not in Order' and 'behoben' as 'fixed'.

How is the Tesla service check actually done? And is there documentation from the Tesla owner with the complaint, that Tesla service was performed recently?

PS. I think I can make most Tesla owner's happy by volunteering that the above checks, include a change of tires, oil and brake pads set me back close to 2k€. Still, it's a good car to drive with basically no problems after 280k km, so I don't complain.

Attachments

• AudiService.jpg
    AudiService.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 61
So you still think it's okay for Tesla to insist that the owners HIDE the issue from others, except authorities? That doesn't seem legit, or fair to new customers. Will see how this unfolds.

If this vehicle was repaired under warranty or extended warranty, no hiding. If this vehicle was repaired outside of warranty and the owner paid for it, no hiding. Those 2 have to be the vast majority of cases. So a clear trend line could be established without the NDA in terms of repair issues. So to the heart of your conjecture which is that Tesla is hiding a repair issue, the basic logic rips it to shreds. Now, Tesla might not want the rest of us to know what nice things they've sometimes done for owners, due to human nature. Nor do they want their nice gesture to brought back to them in a mean way. For instance, if they just covered it under good will, would Mr. Cordano have sued them for time lost? Or the missed opportunity to get more mushrooms since Tesla covered part of the repairs when they didn't have to, so obviously a cynic would think that something is wrong? Again, no good deed goes unpunished. There are plenty of reasons why Tesla would want that legal agreement while extending a good will gesture.

If owners acted like this in mass, we won't get nice things. Much like if we screw up Supercharging by bad behavior.

In my mind, I believe that the rational for the NDA is since Tesla is granting a goodwill repair (i.e. they don't have to but they decided to pay for an out of warranty repair anyways as a 'good will gesture'), they don't want people then telling everyone about how they got a free (or reduced) repair even though its out of warranty and so then Tesla would be obligated to extend the same goodwill to everyone else. When you do someone a favor (i.e. something you didn't have to do) you don't necessarily want everyone else to know about it and then have the whole world asking for the same thing. However, as we have seen in the past, Tesla has made a lot of good will repairs (much more so than most manufacturers).

Now, if there was a defect with the ball joint that's a safety issue, that's different. But as we've seen with Telsa, they've been pretty good about proactively fixing things and don't seem to have any hesitation issuing a recall (i.e. the Model X 3rd row seat even though no failures had occurred and US testing showed it was sufficient or the one seatbelt issue even though no other belts showed the same problem). I don't see them has having an issue denying there's a problem (i.e. GM).

I think the NDA is being totally blown out of proportion. I'd agree it should be worded better and a clause added that specifically mentions that the NDA doesn't cover governmental reports. But to say that Tesla is covering up a safety issue is totally out of character given the company's other actions.

"driving on a back road at a very low rate of speed, about 5 MPH. The road was rough so my air ride was at it max lift. As I was proceeding down a steep hill" "2 miles an hour on a bumpy back road"
Sorry but this does not sound like a place I would drive my Model S. I would not warranty parts on a car that was used in this manner. Maybe you need a Jeep. Was the S on these type of roads previously? If the truth is yes, it it possible the ball joint or boot was damaged or displaced in a previous incident.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Status
Not open for further replies.