Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension problem w/ VIN numbers in 21800 range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MS 75D is 1 month old. I experienced a horrible bouncing on highways. The bouncing was similar to a pulsating while driving as if a push/pull effect. I took the car to SC and took them on a test drive. Same issues arose. They gave me another vehicle with similar tires and did NOT experience that issue. They replaced all four struts and the problem remained. I returned the car to SC. Since then, they are working with engineers at Tesla. Now I am being told that they test drove another similar vehicle in the same VIN range as mine and have experienced the same problem with that car. Has anyone else in the above VIN range experienced the same suspension issue?

Had 1 short experience that sounds similar, but was on a very wet stretch of newly paved interstate....and i chalked it up to some bad paving. Lasted about 5 mins. Otherwise, a smooth ride all around. My car is in same VIN range. Took delivery on 9/22.

Well, I took my MS75D back to the SC to check on the oscillating suspension issue on certain roads, predominantly highways. They worked with Tesla engineers and could find nothing outside the recommended specs. The problem is that the issue exists in other cars that we tested on the road that were made in the 3rd quarter of 2017. The issue doesn't seem to exist with cars that were made before that time period. It certainly doesn't show up in cars dated in 2016 or earlier. I was advised that Tesla started making their own suspension systems rather than use a 3rd party vendor. I have no idea if that is the issue or not. But the bottom line is that the car, as beautiful and technologically superior as it is, is not a drivable car at all times. I have voiced my concern with Tesla and haven't heard back. Just in case you may think I am super sensitive to road vibrations, the Tesla SC service writer and the technicians rode with me and experience the same faulty drive. They also drove other MS vehicles, 100 and 75, made in the same time frame and experienced the same problem. Please let me know if anyone has had this issue. To save you time, it is NOT the tires, new ones were put on and retested, same result.

My MS 75D is 1 month old. I experienced a horrible bouncing on highways. The bouncing was similar to a pulsating while driving as if a push/pull effect. I took the car to SC and took them on a test drive. Same issues arose. They gave me another vehicle with similar tires and did NOT experience that issue. They replaced all four struts and the problem remained. I returned the car to SC. Since then, they are working with engineers at Tesla. Now I am being told that they test drove another similar vehicle in the same VIN range as mine and have experienced the same problem with that car. Has anyone else in the above VIN range experienced the same suspension issue?
Lately actually, my 209xxx S75 has been doing this slightly at city speeds I've noticed. Kinda like if you attached something to unbalance the wheel but it only is pulling the wheels front and back (no up or down pull) like an ellipse. Its barely noticable but regardless.

Lately actually, my 209xxx S75 has been doing this slightly at city speeds I've noticed. Kinda like if you attached something to unbalance the wheel but it only is pulling the wheels front and back (no up or down pull) like an ellipse. Its barely noticable but regardless.
That is exactly the sensation. It is magnified on highways over concrete pavement. The sensation is nauseating.

Reactions: selfbp
That is exactly the sensation. It is magnified on highways over concrete pavement. The sensation is nauseating.
Okay, neat! I'm excited to find the cause! Gonna stay tuned!

At first I thought it was a motor issue like a torque surge from the motor or inverter.

Ex: 100ftlbs at one revolution and then oscillating to 75ftlbs on the next revolution and so forth. Thus creating a lurching feeling. I surely hope I'm wrong.

Also how many miles have you logged so far? If it’s a part going out, I’m noticing at about 4,500mi. I’d say on a scale it’s about 3/10 noticeable.

1 being needing an instrument to feel/ see a problem, 10 being the feeling of a flat tire.