Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension problems. OEM dampers are failing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the part numbers.

Attachments

• 7AB0CF8C-73A8-444E-BF74-881A63343504.jpeg
    7AB0CF8C-73A8-444E-BF74-881A63343504.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 114
The curve for your shock looks inverted as rebound is normally much higher than compression. Not knowing the exact method of assembly, its possible they inverted the shim stack during assembly, or the nut holding the piston and shim stack to the shock rod may have loosened which could have reduced the pre-load on the shim stack reducing the damping.

Did you have them test another shock from the same end or the car? That would be your telltale along with the test you are showing. Its highly unlikely that all your shocks wore out equally, or in pairs.

Does anyone know if these are twin tube shocks or mono tube?

David

The curve for your shock looks inverted as rebound is normally much higher than compression. Not knowing the exact method of assembly, its possible they inverted the shim stack during assembly, or the nut holding the piston and shim stack to the shock rod may have loosened which could have reduced the pre-load on the shim stack reducing the damping.

Did you have them test another shock from the same end or the car? That would be your telltale along with the test you are showing. Its highly unlikely that all your shocks wore out equally, or in pairs.

Does anyone know if these are twin tube shocks or mono tube?

David

The shop said its a twin tube design. I doubt they wore out but I do believe there was an internal failure. Either a fastener came loose, assembled incorrectly, or something broke.

The comparison measurement is from another customer's damper. It has the same part number and revision. It is an apples to apples comparison except for the difference in mileage. Compression has weakened slightly and rebound has weakened significantly.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem and I only wonder what Tesla is doing with this problem.

Happy with the coil overs?

Car is at the service center. But I know I'll be happy with them. I hope to install them this weekend.

Last update. I got a call from the service center. Told me that the dampers needs to be replaced but will not be covered under warranty because I have an aftermarket non tesla approved tow hitch installed and because they don't know what I'm towing, they have to assume it is the cause of the failure. I don't tow a boat but do carry a bike hitch and a bike. I never knew these cars are prone to failure with an additional 150lb - 180lb.

They also questioned me on why I removed the dampers. I removed them to have it tested because the other 3 times I was here you guys said its normal when it obviously is not. F these guys.

F Tesla.

So now some more of the story is revealed. Why don't you show us the dyno reports from all 4 of your dampers? That would be interesting.

I only tested the rears because they take about 10-15 minutes to remove. Dyno results has already been posted but here it is again.

First pic shows a good damper compared with mine. Same part number and revision.

Second picture shows the dyno results of both rear dampers.

017B1127-F2F2-4157-AA16-9851C46EBE8D.jpeg
0112FC95-A9B7-4913-A3CE-2FCBF687BE9A.jpeg

Car is at the service center. But I know I'll be happy with them. I hope to install them this weekend.

Last update. I got a call from the service center. Told me that the dampers needs to be replaced but will not be covered under warranty because I have an aftermarket non tesla approved tow hitch installed and because they don't know what I'm towing, they have to assume it is the cause of the failure. I don't tow a boat but do carry a bike hitch and a bike. I never knew these cars are prone to failure with an additional 150lb - 180lb.

They also questioned me on why I removed the dampers. I removed them to have it tested because the other 3 times I was here you guys said its normal when it obviously is not. F these guys.

F Tesla.

I highly suggest that you escalate this with regional service manager. You have well documented the problem and Tesla should fix it under warranty.

Also they should back trace where this damper came from in the assembly as a whole batch of damper could have this issue. This is not only a performance issue but a safety one as well that I am sure the higher ups would like to resolve before someone looses traction in the rear and cause an accident.

Reactions: beastmode13
I highly suggest that you escalate this with regional service manager. You have well documented the problem and Tesla should fix it under warranty.

Also they should back trace where this damper came from in the assembly as a whole batch of damper could have this issue. This is not only a performance issue but a safety one as well that I am sure the higher ups would like to resolve before someone looses traction in the rear and cause an accident.

Tesla doesn’t care and will not replace. Installing the mpp coilovers this weekend. F them. I’m done with his bs.

Take them to small claims court, I suspect you would win... Do some reading on the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia Carrying a bike would not affect your shocks longevity and I believe they need to prove it would.

It is odd that both of your shocks are not anywhere near the same valving as the other shock the company tested with the same part number. Its pretty unlikely that you would have two failed shocks, so maybe they had a lot of bad shocks?

David

Take them to small claims court, I suspect you would win... Do some reading on the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia Carrying a bike would not affect your shocks longevity and I believe they need to prove it would.

It is odd that both of your shocks are not anywhere near the same valving as the other shock the company tested with the same part number. Its pretty unlikely that you would have two failed shocks, so maybe they had a lot of bad shocks?

David

Thanks David for the info but at this point I’m beating a dead rotten horse. Tesla will pretty much do anything to find any reason to deny warranty claims.

Was vibration and increased road feedback a symptom of the failed dampers on your car? Also, which aftermarket ones did you go for and what’s your impression of them?

Failing dampers would not cause those things. It would cause the suspension to be bouncy and repetitively oscillate but road grain/ harshness and road 'feedback' if that term has any meaning is principally controlled through sidewalls and by suspension and steering rack bushings.

Glad I found this tread because my SR+ does feel softer and feels like it’s rolls more like it needs some sway bars. I know it’s not as firm as when I got it back on March 30th. Now at 9500 miles. Will look for a shock dyno in San Diego.

Fred

Glad I found this tread because my SR+ does feel softer and feels like it’s rolls more like it needs some sway bars. I know it’s not as firm as when I got it back on March 30th. Now at 9500 miles. Will look for a shock dyno in San Diego.

Fred

If you find evidence that a shock is indeed failing you can probably get Tesla to replace under warranty. If you don't, you have other options If you can afford it, get either the sport coilovers or MPP's new hybrid set up that has the dampers from the sports system combined with the Comfort Springs. The beauty of the adjustable shocks is that they're really a life-time purchase because as the shock wears you can simply increase compression and rebound stiffness.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier