Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Questions (Coils/Springs/Bags)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys!

I had a question on running air lift systems on the Model 3. Does anyone here have an air lift system and have any feedback on drivability, ride comfort, and how much different (good and bad) it is compared to stock suspension?

Also I was looking at going the cheaper route of getting the unplugged performance springs at low height or medium height. I read somewhere that springs overall present issues with the comfort and the rideability of the ride compared to stock?

Also are after market camber arms / toe arms / Upper & Lower control arms needed for any of these drops, in order to maintain proper rideability?

Thanks for any feedback!

Mia.

Last edited:
I am putting on a set of Unplugged Performance coilovers tomorrow! I bought them used from a user here.

I got the chance to meet up with him and he just recently upgraded to air suspension.

I was going to go the spring route because it was 1/3rd the cost of coilovers but I really do not like how my SR+ rides. The suspension in this car just feels stiff for no reason. My ICE car w/ lowering springs and 245/35/20s rides the same if not better, that's not right.

I am putting on a set of Unplugged Performance coilovers tomorrow! I bought them used from a user here.

I got the chance to meet up with him and he just recently upgraded to air suspension.

I was going to go the spring route because it was 1/3rd the cost of coilovers but I really do not like how my SR+ rides. The suspension in this car just feels stiff for no reason. My ICE car w/ lowering springs and 245/35/20s rides the same if not better, that's not right.
Awesome, congratulations! Let me know how they are!

Springs that aren’t matched to your shocks can negatively affect ride quality and I believe prematurely wear your shocks too. Matched springs & shocks/struts are a better choice, and coilovers even better, as they usually allow ride height adjustment as well as damping adjustment, depending on how basic or fancy your coilovers are. I have no experience with aftermarket airbags.

With coilovers on this car, adjustable rear camber arms are usually suggested. I’m currently running Unplugged Performance coilovers and rear camber arms. My ride’s pretty firm, but I like it that way and I could adjust it softer if I wanted to. I’m having some more UP suspension parts installed next week; it’ll be total overkill for a street car, but I like a stiff chassis.

Reactions: miss demeanor
Springs are not going to result in an improved ride. A good explanation as to why can be found here: Suspension Tech - Springs vs Coilovers - Mountain Pass Performance

I don't have any experience with air bags, but I can tell you MPP's line of Comfort Coilovers is fantastic and offers genuinely better ride quality and handling.

Camber Arms/Toe Arms/etc would not be necessary unless you are planning on absolutely slamming the car.

I'm going air set up with Universal air suspension and airlift 3h in a few weeks. Figured I need height adjustment on the fly, for steep driveway, bumpy roads and when I'm pulling my kayaks on a trailer.
I see you already had springs installed. Just be careful not to damage your battery pack.

I'm going air set up with Universal air suspension and airlift 3h in a few weeks. Figured I need height adjustment on the fly, for steep driveway, bumpy roads and when I'm pulling my kayaks on a trailer.
I see you already had springs installed. Just be careful not to damage your battery pack.
I went with the springs route at first, and instantly regretted not going coils from the getgo. Ride quality diminished greatly, no ride height adjustability, worn struts + bump stops, and worse of all, my battery coolant lines were severed costing me and my insurance $32K to repair (don't ask me why they didn't total my car). Get the coils.. they're tried and true + give you full control to how the car sits to your aesthetic. Pay once, cry once - i learned that the hard way.

FWIW, i had the Eibach moderate springs (1.1 inch) and upgraded to the MPP comforts.

That's why you should go air ride, adjust on the fly. Battery pack too expensive to risk damage to. I have an extra 28in Flo tank from airlift if anyone's interested $250+shipping). Here's a photo of my setup..not yet complete, waiting for the airbags to come in before I run all the air lines.

Attachments

• 20211006_142546.jpg
    20211006_142546.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 355
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Whoa. Care to share more details how springs severed your cooling lines? If it's just from low ride height and hitting something on the road, how would coilovers be any different if set to the same height?
Not saying that the springs had any direct correlation to the damage... just expressing the fact that even with the "moderates" from Eibach, my car was sitting way too low for everyday LA driving. With the coilovers, I was able to really fine-tune the ride height and compression/rebound settings in a way that lowers my risk scraping anything. So far, ive been on coils for a year now with zero issues getting in and out of steep driveways or big bumps.

Not saying that the springs had any direct correlation to the damage... just expressing the fact that even with the "moderates" from Eibach, my car was sitting way too low for everyday LA driving. With the coilovers, I was able to really fine-tune the ride height and compression/rebound settings in a way that lowers my risk scraping anything. So far, ive been on coils for a year now with zero issues getting in and out of steep driveways or big bumps.
Can we see a picture of your car lowered? Would love to see it.
Thanks

Thanks
I’ve got a rear diffuser that scrapes more than my front. I’ve made at least 5 adjustments before finally settling on the 368mm fender to center cap. Tires are 255/40/19 for anyone that’s curious.

Attachments

• FEC44BB9-D4F9-40ED-921D-FF656968E0FF.jpeg
    FEC44BB9-D4F9-40ED-921D-FF656968E0FF.jpeg
    638.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 29A595BD-C94C-42B2-B266-9CE7EBD05386.jpeg
    29A595BD-C94C-42B2-B266-9CE7EBD05386.jpeg
    714.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 1A0AAF79-FD1B-43D5-84AA-FD13FAF7AB15.jpeg
    1A0AAF79-FD1B-43D5-84AA-FD13FAF7AB15.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 97C1D406-52CE-46E0-9A4E-95D2C0A67863.jpeg
    97C1D406-52CE-46E0-9A4E-95D2C0A67863.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 893B87AB-6306-4B15-AF8F-E8394A2606FE.jpeg
    893B87AB-6306-4B15-AF8F-E8394A2606FE.jpeg
    505.3 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: RedPM318
I’ve got a rear diffuser that scrapes more than my front. I’ve made at least 5 adjustments before finally settling on the 368mm fender to center cap. Tires are 255/40/19 for anyone that’s curious.
That looks so clean and the red accents on the headlights are sick! Makes me want a rear diffuser just like yours but it probably won't work with having a tow hitch. May I ask how you did the headlights and bumper lights accent lighting?

That looks so clean and the red accents on the headlights are sick! Makes me want a rear diffuser just like yours but it probably won't work with having a tow hitch. May I ask how you did the headlights and bumper lights accent lighting?
those were done by EvilHeadlights in SoCal. Hes located near riverside now. the hardware is from Diode Dynamics utilizing RGBW. Turn them on and off using the parking light toggle on the screen. Red's nice but i have them on amber by default for legality reasons.

Reactions: Ahhhz and RedPM318