Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension + Rough Road Question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D6041D74-CD06-42B8-B452-23C1B7022A21.jpeg
EE9EE2BB-531A-4D09-83AF-75C342F703D8.jpeg
Hi

Sorry for the probably dumb question, I'm not a very mechanically-minded woman :-/ I have a Model 3 Performance on order and was worrying about the suspension. I have a very rough road leading to my house (see pics for example). Broken pavement with small radius but pretty deep potholes and no way to avoid all. If I go slow will I be okay?

I'm sure the tires and rims will be fine going slow but more worried about the undulating and very uneven surface and if that will harm any of the sporty suspension components.

I would assume it is no different to going up and down high curbs and ridges onto driveways and parking lots when you turn off the road. But wanted to ask for to be safe.

Thx in advance.

The only "dumb question" is the unasked one!

Looking at your photos, I think you'd have to be doing Warp speed to hurt anything, and even that's not likely. None of the holes look large enough to damage a tire and or rim. That said, taking it slow will help limit interior rattles and squeaks from surfacing.

Enjoy your new ride... you're going to love it!

😎

View attachment 868945View attachment 868946Hi

Sorry for the probably dumb question, I'm not a very mechanically-minded woman :-/ I have a Model 3 Performance on order and was worrying about the suspension. I have a very rough road leading to my house (see pics for example). Broken pavement with small radius but pretty deep potholes and no way to avoid all. If I go slow will I be okay?

I'm sure the tires and rims will be fine going slow but more worried about the undulating and very uneven surface and if that will harm any of the sporty suspension components.

I would assume it is no different to going up and down high curbs and ridges onto driveways and parking lots when you turn off the road. But wanted to ask for to be safe.

Thx in advance.
I drive a mile of unpaved, washboarded road mix to get home every day. You'll feel it, but I don't believe it will hurt your car. Just take it easy and have fun with it!

Reactions: android04
@Diana Anderson Your suspension will be fine. Personally I would inspect/torque everything once in a while just in case, or pay someone to, as I would with any car seeing any kind of rough use. The stock M3P suspension is not particularly sporty by the way, it's the same or extremely similar as a regular Model 3.

You may want to downsize to smaller wheels with larger sidewall tires. I cracked a Model S P85 wheel with skinny 245/35 sidewall tires driving down a very bumpy road at normal speeds. Had to argue pretty hard with Tesla to get a "goodwill" warranty replacement. Your road there does not look as bad! Still though, the 235/35 that M3P comes with is very little protection for the big fragile cast wheel. I'm now running 245/45 on both the S P85 (19x8.5" wheels) and M3P (18x8.5" wheels). Works much better.

Last edited:
View attachment 868945View attachment 868946Hi

Thx in advance.
Sorry, but you will suffer very uncomfortable drive especially if you have 19" or 20" wheels :(

Like others have suggested, consider the 18" wheel option for slight ride improvement. I have the 19" sport wheels and regret not going with the 18". The 18" wheels also provide a slight increase in range. While these cars may be considered a "luxury" vehicle, not your typical luxury car ride. You'll be fine with any of the wheel options cruising on interstates, secondary roads may be a bit bumpy.

Last edited:
Like others have suggested, consider the 18" wheel option for slight ride improvement. I have the 19" sport wheels and regret not going with the 18". The 18" wheels also provide a slight increase in range. While these cars may be considered a "luxury" vehicle, not your typical luxury car ride. You'll be fine with any of the wheel options cruising on interstates, secondary roads may be a bit bumpy.
Or even downsize to a LR AWD with OEM 18" wheels. Then grab the boost option if you want that 0-60 time. Better tires & range for you as well.

Reactions: coleAK