Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension software flaw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are you seeing this in the manual? All I could find was on page 93 under "Lowering".
"Automatic Lowering
When Model S is moving above typical driveway or parking lot speeds, Smart Air Suspension automatically lowers ride height to improve aerodynamics and handling. For most average speed driving, the suspension is automatically set to Standard. As described above, when you make manual height adjustments, the suspension automatically lowers at increased driving speeds.
When carrying loads, Smart Air Suspension also maintains a level height between the front and rear."

Incidentally, I had zero load in my car. Sounds like a flaw to me and if I had damaged my bumper I'd be pissed.

leveling.png

the model S self levels after parking. this is a feature to rebalance weight across the tires. if the car sits for a long time with more weight shifted on a set of tires they will begin cupping and this will lead to premature and irregular wear patterns. again, the leveling is a feature of the car designed to increase the longevity of the tires. this way different than suspension lowering. the car does not lower suspension levels after parking, it only self-levels.

Hi, Larry, I agree with you that we users need to use common sense and avoid unnecessary incidents.

That said, it shouldn't lower while parked. People raise suspension to avoid not only curbs but also steep slope. If it accidentally lower and the driver drives over that steep slope without noticing the height...

Hi Hiroshi,

We are in perfect agreement.

In a perfect world everything should work as intended. When things don't work as intended, it is incumbent on us to use a little common sense to avoid unneccesary incidents.

Larry

They are designed as a marker for stopping your car if your tires touch them.

also nobody should be 'driving over' the concrete parking curbs, let alone hitting them and letting your tires sit up against them. they are designed for emergency stopping a vehicle from driving into buildings, ATMs, people, etc. they are NOT designed for people to intentionally hit them and use them as a guide to stop your car. I've always stopped the front of my car from resting over the top of these high concrete parking curbs. again, they are NOT parking blocks. parking blocks are different. Parking blocks are lower and are designed as a guide to bump your tire so you know exactly where to stop. they are barely and inch or two off the ground. unfortunately most people dont understand the difference between the two and they think the tall high concrete parking curbs are parking blocks and try use them as such by driving over over and bumping their tires against them. that is NOT what they are for. if you use a tall concrete parking curb as a parking stop this will only damage your vehicle. some of the concrete curbs are high enough to even hit the frame of the car itself. never park a car over a concrete parking curb, let alone hit it with the car or tire. if you follow this and use them correctly and never park over them, then you'll never have an issue with your model S self-leveling over it.

View attachment 98341

the model S self levels after parking. this is a feature to rebalance weight across the tires. if the car sits for a long time with more weight shifted on a set of tires they will begin cupping and this will lead to premature and irregular wear patterns. again, the leveling is a feature of the car designed to increase the longevity of the tires. this way different than suspension lowering. the car does not lower suspension levels after parking, it only self-levels.

Makes sense but a) the body damage to my car in terms of $$ far exceeds the tire wear plus most cupping is offset with a normal rotation schedule (at least that's been my experience...b) sensors don't seem to pick up on the obstacle likely because the are forward facing. Putting it in jack mode several times a day is more of a hassle than just parking way back from the tire barrier until this is corrected.

also nobody should be 'driving over' the concrete parking curbs, let alone hitting them and letting your tires sit up against them. they are designed for emergency stopping a vehicle from driving into buildings, ATMs, people, etc. they are NOT designed for people to intentionally hit them and use them as a guide to stop your car. I've always stopped the front of my car from resting over the top of these high concrete parking curbs. again, they are NOT parking blocks. parking blocks are different. Parking blocks are lower and are designed as a guide to bump your tire so you know exactly where to stop. they are barely and inch or two off the ground. unfortunately most people dont understand the difference between the two and they think the tall high concrete parking curbs are parking blocks and try use them as such by driving over over and bumping their tires against them. that is NOT what they are for. if you use a tall concrete parking curb as a parking stop this will only damage your vehicle. some of the concrete curbs are high enough to even hit the frame of the car itself. never park a car over a concrete parking curb, let alone hit it with the car or tire. if you follow this and use them correctly and never park over them, then you'll never have an issue with your model S self-leveling over it.

Good advice.

As I mentioned earlier one notable exception is backing into certain Supercharger stalls. In order for the charging cable to reach your charging port you are going to have to park over the parking stops. Fortunately, we can be assured that the height of these stops are low enough to avoid any problems.

It should be noted that according to the Tesla specifications page, the maximum ground clearance for a Model S is only 6.7". Even without lowering or leveling issues you can come across situations where some curbs or parking bumpers with protruding rebar are going to be problematic regardless of where you set the suspension. It therefore makes sense to avoid parking over curbs or parking stops whenever possible regardless of whether the lowering or leveling issue is resolved.

Larry

No, these are the parking stops we are talking about except they are much higher than an inch or two. They are not "emergency" blocks as you say, they are designed as a guide but much higher. That's what we are all worried about not curbs or security blocks. In order to avoid them you have to park about 4 feet short unlike other cars which generally hover over them and have adequate clearance.
0386eace6e8b9fd12a1d0d98a72ff45d.jpg

Last edited:
No, as I stated in my previous messages we are all not just talking about stops as shown in your diagram. A plain old high curb can be just as much of a problem.

Larry

I re-read all of the past posts on this and it's clear to me there is no consensus. Some think this is a driver issue, some think it's a car issue. I fall into the later camp so we will just have to agree to disagree.

I re-read all of the past posts on this and it's clear to me there is no consensus. Some think this is a driver issue, some think it's a car issue. I fall into the later camp so we will just have to agree to disagree.

Yes, you're always on slippery footing when you claim to speak for the entire group. :biggrin:

For the record, I fall into the camp that believes there may be a car issue, but as grown adults we need to take responsibility for our actions and use common sense to avoid repeating demonstrated issues.

Larry

Yes, you're always on slippery footing when you claim to speak for the entire group. :biggrin:

For the record, I fall into the camp that believes there may be a car issue, but as grown adults we need to take responsibility for our actions and use common sense to avoid repeating demonstrated issues.

Larry

Speaking only for myself and I'm glad that we agree on who owns the issue. We could have saved a lot of time [emoji1]Take care.

The self lowering issue might be resolved in the recent firmware though. I always park back in (except automatic mechanical parking at my condo), and there are always curbs to stop rear tires at any parkings in Tokyo. I park in such parkings a few times a day at least. No further issues since Tesla repaired some broken parts. I'm on the last 6.2 build (7.0 not available here yet).

So hope the issue went away for the OP as well.

I'm assuming you survey the situation and manually raise it right? Not automatic.

In essence yes. It's set to High. When I get back in the car, sit down, and hit the brake, I see the front end lift up. I just wait for that to finish before I get going by hitting the brake first, then putting my seatbelt on, then plugging in my cell phone, loading up Waze, etc. It would be nice if Tesla changed the "check and raise" logic from happening once the car is "on" (i.e., after hitting the brake) to when the door handles present. This would add the extra few seconds for the car to raise. I know to hit the brake first to give the car time to raise back up, but if I didn't, my natural behavior would be to do all my stuff before ever hitting the brake. Then, once I hit the brake, I am ready to get going and could potentially not give the car enough time to raise up.

It's probably wise to park short of any cement curbs. The air suspension does lower the front of the car after you exit the vehicle (curb or no curb). However, the air suspension doesn't always raise the front of the car as you are exiting a parking space. So it's possible to drive over a cement curb and clear it, but not clear it as you back out. If this were the case, you would definitely scrape the front end and perhaps yank the front bumper. ALWAYS PARK SHORT OF ANY CEMENT CURBS, regardless of their size. One time I realized I had made the mistake of parking over a sizable cement curb. Before backing out of the space, I took the time to manually raise the air suspension so the car would clear the cement curb.

While I agree with DavidM and personally always back in, there are times that you have no choice but to park over the park stop. At my office, we have park stops between adjacent parking positions. The stops are set up with enough distance that with the car over them, there is sufficient room to walk up and down the rows of cars. For our EV spots, the charging stations are put in this walkway. If I do not back up over the stop, my front end goes beyond the painted lines and my car sticks out.

But again, I am aware of the limitations of my car, what to expect, and how to use some common sense for it not to be a problem. It's just sad that I have to.

Old thread.

Just noticed my 13 P85+ did this twice today. At first I thought it was due to a leak, but when I saw it lower after parking in my garage, I knew this was supposed to happen by design or software.

Many have said it was a bug in several other software variants going back to 5.xx and probably before.

To me, plenty of other vehicles do this with air suspension, 18wheelers included, and that's from when they are stopped at a light even.

To those of you who park over the barriers, you're asking for issues, Tesla or not. If you care about your car, or vehicle in general.. Don't park over them. If you have a suv or truck with the ground clearance.. By all means.

Just wanted to update on the "issue".