Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension software flaw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This does happen quite often and usually the cause is pulling to far over a curb/park stop. Now that being said the cars used to auto lower after parked so if you did in fact pull over the curb and had clearance before your car would have lowered itself on to the curb without your knowledge. This was especially prevalent when you came in with your wheels turned and the car sensed the weight distribution was off and corrected itself accordingly. I'm not sure if they are still auto lowering/adjusting on exit but this did happen in 2014.

The guy said in another post in 2013 that he was 80 years old. That would make him 82 years old. He was trying to sell his 2 brand new tesla that was too hard to drive for him and his wife. This is BS.

Why would you say it's BS? He probably sold one of the two, and kept the other. He wrote he was happy until recently. The problem he is having is not one many people would be aware of unless they were active users on forums. While some 80-year olds fit into that category, many do not. I'm not suggesting he should be upset, or as upset as he is, but I definitely believe he is a real person and telling us the truth as he sees it. To suggest otherwise is unfair, and, frankly, groundless.

Do not park over concrete blocks. Not that hard.

^^^this.

it's not that hard. just that a lot of people are oblivious to this. i've seen a lot of people do this to any car (not just tesla), they drive up until their tires hit the curb. the hoods extends so far over concrete blocks and curbs they block the sidewalks. easy solution is to be a better driver, aware of your surroundings and distances.

FWIW the car does not lower at all after parking. It does "level" slightly though (balances weight, helps prevent unnecessary weight on one set of tires that could cause irregular wear patterns). the manual talks about this leveling very clearly. i'm guessing you didn't read it.

I love how this thread is currently 4 pages, yet in discussions of whether to get the SAS or not this is hardly ever brought up.

To my understanding any sedan/coupe with air suspension is going to have this issue because even a tiny slow leak is going to eventually bring it down a bit. The only true fix would be to have the car automatically raise the front as soon as the driver sits down.

Now I didn't get the SAS because I preferred the ride quality of the coil suspension. I also preferred having a known set ride height versus always having to remember or relying on the GPS to auto change it. So far in almost 9K miles of driving I've only had one instance where I could have used the SAS.

There is a trade off though. I do have to be careful of curbs and use prior knowledge of the curb height to know if it can go over them. But, if I clear it going in I know I'll clear it going out. I simply don't understand how a coil suspension would settle unless there was something wrong with the suspension.

It still lowers after a period of time. I'm guessing this is because it would require power to keep the suspension raised.

It is a bit annoying, but it could be worse. 1990s Audis had ridiculous issues with bumpers falling apart-- the Model S is far superior. That's just one example.

My car definitely lowers after parking. I've stood there and watched it happen on more than one occasion. I do have to be very careful about what I'm parking on top of and sometimes I raise the suspension to clear the parking block or curb when I leave...

The Tesla Motors recommended body shop in SoCal had discount pricing on the Tesla rear gray plastic and chrome piece. I checked with Tesla, and then with the body shop. It helped keep repairs under $1,000 so no increase occurred with the insurance policy.

One thing learned with Model S. Have protective film put on the painted surfaces. No repainting needed when a bumper dent occurred, it just tore the clear bra material. In places without the clear bra, painting will be required for some simple scrapes.

The GPS memory when raising the suspension has helped me avoid damage to the front of Model S. Lowering can occur over time, so waiting for the vehicle to rise before backing up has helped. My early Model S Signature does not have parking sensors, so I have been extra careful when parking.

Last edited:
I have seem many a car with front (and rear) spoiler or bumper damage from running up on curbs and parking stops. Sometimes it is caused by driver neglect but it can be caused by taking on extra weight (of passengers) or suspension adjustments. If there is no proof the car settled or lowered after parking then this is not the manufactures issue. Most manufactures would not go to the lengths Tesla has done in this case.

I know you're a young lad of 82, and all that but back in my day we took marriage seriously.

If you had a problem with you worked through it. Marriage is hard work that takes blood, sweat, and tears. You can't let a few concrete road blocks get in the way.

Oh, you're bumper fell. Gee wiz.

Wake me up when the tires in the relationship fall off.

Tesla is a horrible manufacturer. They treat their customers so well when the product is at fault, but as soon as the owner does something to damage their own vehicle they get all blameful and want the owner to take responsibility. This is another whiney thread about how Tesla should fix yet another thing which is not a fault, but carelessness on the part of the owner. Get an SUV if you want to be putting you hood over the concrete - in the way of pedestrians usually.

Do not park over concrete blocks. Not that hard.
Right. If you park properly: Back in until the line/block/curb/ is at the bottom of the screen, you'll be perfect every time. Pull in parking isn't safe because your view is restricted when pulling out, so you shouldn't do that regardless of car, and Tesla makes backing in so easy there is no excuse not to do it.

This is all wrong.

I did the same thing. Tore the front end of my car off parking on a concrete divider.

Snapped it back on. Drove it to service (In Florida) and they replaced the "under piece" for $650.

I then used my brains and whenever I went shopping and they had these nasty things, put car in HIGH level. Never a problem since.

To OP, it really helps if you

a) do not use wedding analogy ... bizarre and adds too many words) and
b) use paragraphs to make me want to read further.