Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension / Sway Bars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody!

I just got a M3P and I love it! One complaint is at high speed the car feels very "floaty" when cornering. I am looking to get sway bars & a lower / tighter suspension to address this issue. Any recommendations that wont kill my wallet?

Did MPP Sport Coilovers on mine and it's awesome....much tighter / locked down, much less upsetting the chassis...much more Euro sport sedan feeling - firm but awesome....for me it's perfect, I'm even going to sell my new unopened UP Sway Bars as I don't think they're needed for street with the coil overs....that being said coil overs aren't cheep so maybe someone can chime in on swaybars only behavior

Reactions: MountainPass
I have front and rear UP Sway bars and it makes a noticeable difference in body roll while keeping the car drivable on the street. Which size and type of tires are on your car? Going up to 255 width will make a huge difference in cornering without too much range loss.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
My M3P is lowered on Eibach springs and just recently installed Eibach front and rear sway bars. Results are amazing, much better than stock. I’m also running 255 and 285 tires though

What are your setting for the Eibach sways? I was thinking soft front (outermost setting) and firm on rear (innermost setting). I am about to put mine in soon, would like to hear your feedback. Thanks!

Did MPP Sport Coilovers on mine and it's awesome....much tighter / locked down, much less upsetting the chassis...much more Euro sport sedan feeling - firm but awesome....for me it's perfect, I'm even going to sell my new unopened UP Sway Bars as I don't think they're needed for street with the coil overs....that being said coil overs aren't cheep so maybe someone can chime in on swaybars only behavior
are you still selling the UP sways? i have a performance model.

Hey everybody!

I just got a M3P and I love it! One complaint is at high speed the car feels very "floaty" when cornering. I am looking to get sway bars & a lower / tighter suspension to address this issue. Any recommendations that wont kill my wallet?
Go with @UnpluggedP swaybars. They have flanges that keeps the bar centered. Eibach doesn’t and the bushings are smaller. there’s mention of the bars shifting under the car.

The Eibach bushings are thicker than UP. But they're a different material too so I really don't think it's a relevant comparison.
No...UPs are thicker
167A1C8B-1D3A-4AB2-9C29-01947CC442BF.jpeg
F352AD1F-7F80-4817-B4C5-ACD7917CA59E.jpeg

Reactions: KyleM3
You've measured the width, which has no effect on performance (because both use the stock clamps). I suspect the UP bushing includes the flanges to make it easier to install, but it won't affect performance as the sides aren't under any load.

Measure the distance from the hole to the outside edge, as well as the total height. This is what matters from the perspective of bushing performance. Note also that the Eibach bar has a larger diameter.

The Eibach bushing has significantly more clamping force than the UP one (because it's thicker and taller). It should be pretty much impossible to have the noise issues UP had. UP is walking a much finer line with their tolerances and, it bit them.

I'm not convinced the Eibach bushings will last as long over time, because they're under so much load. But as I said it's also a different material...time will tell.

You've measured the width, which has no effect on performance (because both use the stock clamps). I suspect the UP bushing includes the flanges to make it easier to install, but it won't affect performance as the sides aren't under any load.

Measure the distance from the hole to the outside edge, as well as the total height. This is what matters from the perspective of bushing performance. Note also that the Eibach bar has a larger diameter.

The Eibach bushing has significantly more clamping force than the UP one (because it's thicker and taller). It should be pretty much impossible to have the noise issues UP had. UP is walking a much finer line with their tolerances and, it bit them.

I'm not convinced the Eibach bushings will last as long over time, because they're under so much load. But as I said it's also a different material...time will tell.

Of course the width comes into play. Why do you even think there’s a discussion on lateral locks and flanges? The bar needs to stop sliding sideways and stay centered. Even oem has a notch in the bracket and a bushing that is physically adhered to it. Go read the other thread you’re in. People On this forum have marked on their eibach bar the starting location and rechecked just driving down the road that the sway bar has moved.

The noise discussion no one has found a direct link to UP. I have a steep driveway and 3 speed humps in my neighborhood and Mine are SILENT and others over other platforms have mentioned it as well including FB.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Of course the width comes into play. Why do you even think there’s a discussion on lateral locks and flanges? The bar needs to stop sliding sideways and stay centered. Even oem has a notch in the bracket and a bushing that is physically adhered to it. Go read the other thread you’re in. People On this forum have marked on their eibach bar the starting location and rechecked just driving down the road that the sway bar has moved.

The width of the bushing has nothing to do with the bar sliding. The UP front bar slides freely by hand between the two bushings, despite the bushings being wider. The flanges are the only thing that stop it. The Eibach bar doesn't slide freely by hand because of the extra clamping force, but I'm sure can still slide under load.

The noise discussion no one has found a direct link to UP. I have a steep driveway and 3 speed humps in my neighborhood and Mine are SILENT and others over other platforms have mentioned it as well including FB.

I found a direct link between a clunking sound and the UP front sway bar. The bushings were defective, the hole in the middle was too large, allowing the bar to move radially. The replacement bushings eliminated the sound. UP has changed bushing suppliers because of the defect. Hopefully that's clear.

So I'm not planning on tracking my 3P as its a daily and I have another car for weekend shenanigans but I really dont like the body roll it has. I want to keep stock height to save me from wheel stops so I'm thinking of just getting a set of sway bars to mitigate the roll. Are sways effective at that sort of thing or do I need to plan for coil overs as well?

So I'm not planning on tracking my 3P as its a daily and I have another car for weekend shenanigans but I really dont like the body roll it has. I want to keep stock height to save me from wheel stops so I'm thinking of just getting a set of sway bars to mitigate the roll. Are sways effective at that sort of thing or do I need to plan for coil overs as well?
That's what anti-sway bars are made for - if your springs are fast enough (hard) for you, but you still don't like how much it sways (rolls) - you can sacrifice more of wheel independence to decrease the sway. Lower ride just marginally improves things on Tesla since CG is already quite low.

I just put a front on and it makes a pretty insane difference. Would do both but racing in SS class auto X.
Car stays super flat now. Feels quite a bit different to drive. Almost like a stiff FWD race car with only a front on the stiffest setting.
That should be heavily oversteering setup. Maybe if you don't have track mode, but I can't imagine that this will turn faster.

• Disagree