Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension upgrade recommendation for 2021 MY LR AWD comfortable ride

Schmidlack

Sep 23, 2019
San Diego
Tesla engineers must cringe with all the talk about their work being trashed by owners who think their cars ride too much toward the performance end of the spectrum. Hard to please everyone with just one option.

miracj

2021 Model Y LR AWD
Jul 15, 2021
Waltham, MA
Tesla engineers must cringe with all the talk about their work being trashed by owners who think their cars ride too much toward the performance end of the spectrum. Hard to please everyone with just one option.
All they had to do is offer an air suspension or similar option, which there is space for in the Model 3 any Y. I'd have paid more for it.

Maybe they didn't want to eat into the sales of their other cars, but I think it would be good as an option.

Reactions: ralfpeter

gadgetfreaky

Jun 10, 2021
los angeles, ca
**Edit, I looked more closely at the Ohlins and saw that those are dual height adjustable on the front whereas the KW are single height adjustable. One could write pages on the preload and droop ramifications of maxing height on a singe height adjustable or fixed perch setup so I linked the bible on the topic below. Basically it's this, you have to be more comfortable with the "designed" height of the KW coilovers which is an inch or so lower than stock. If you raise it the ride height to the max then you end up riding at it's extended extreme, ie you're on its bump stops all the time. On my sti I run top hat spacers to get more height since I don't like it so low for street driving. In other words you don't want to jack the height all the way up on a fixed perch design such as the KW. If you like a higher ride height such as closer to stock then go Ohlins. On a KW or fixed perch it's a compromise so that extra grand will give you that range w/o giving much up... well except the cost. *Or you can run one of those lift kits on top.

Good explanation on droop travel compromise on single perch or singe height adjustable coilovers.

about to do my install on the Y with the Ohlins and wanted to lower the car 1" and install 20" rims. What would you suggest the settings would be for the most luxury ride? i.e. comfort over performance.

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
about to do my install on the Y with the Ohlins and wanted to lower the car 1" and install 20" rims. What would you suggest the settings would be for the most luxury ride? i.e. comfort over performance.
First, I would refer to the other two Ohlins threads for other owners experiences. Second the dampers should already be set with default settings. Regarding height, yea you can drop it down but you have to balance soft with safety. When you bottom out an ICE car not much happens maybe some undercarriage damage at worst. On an EV, it can be crazy serious. Thus the lower you go the stiffer you need to make it so that it doesn't bottom out on the biggest bumps or drops. I've seen ppl run from setting 3 to 18 out of 32. I'd avoid running it at or near the softest settings for the reason I mentioned. And the Redwood instructions goes over specific settings to prevent bottoming out which is easy to do when an installer doesn't realize the implications of a double height adjustable damper in the context of an EV and the battery.

MasterC17

Dec 3, 2015
USA
Is it just me but does anyone wish we had more selection for coilover options? Model 3 has way more available... The MPP are just rebranded KWs. Anyone know if they are Variant 2 or Variant 3s? Also, does anyone know where UPP sources theirs?
MPP is not just "rebranded" KW's. Yes, they are manufactured by KW, and in some ways similar, but to the specifications (regarding valving, spring rate, etc) that MPP has requested. And let me tell you, MPP spends a LOT of time dialing in a package before they offer it for sale, not just on the road, but on the track as well. That's why, after purchasing from several Tesla "tuners" I only buy MPP products now. Not to mention they have far and away the best customer service.

MountainPass

Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
MPP is not just "rebranded" KW's. Yes, they are manufactured by KW, and in some ways similar, but to the specifications (regarding valving, spring rate, etc) that MPP has requested. And let me tell you, MPP spends a LOT of time dialing in a package before they offer it for sale, not just on the road, but on the track as well. That's why, after purchasing from several Tesla "tuners" I only buy MPP products now. Not to mention they have far and away the best customer service.
Go buy KW V3 Coilovers for the Model Y then! Oh, wait, they don't exist because we designed and developed these kits ourselves!

Reactions: Kelr316

Ruffles

Jun 13, 2017
Snohomish WA
Go buy KW V3 Coilovers for the Model Y then! Oh, wait, they don't exist because we designed and developed these kits ourselves!
That's good to know. I was under the same impression as others that MPP's coilovers started life as KW. Doesn't matter though - all that counts is that they are awesome!! I've been very happy with them.

MountainPass

Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
That's good to know. I was under the same impression as others that MPP's coilovers started life as KW. Doesn't matter though - all that counts is that they are awesome!! I've been very happy with them.
It is a common misconception, to the point that I have had people angrily tell me that KW designed them even after sending them the video documentation we made during our 2018 trip to California to test on one of the first Model 3's off the line o_O

Reactions: Ruffles

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC