Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension upgrade to early Model 3

Should I replace the original suspension with what Tesla is offering as a replacement

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Model 3 last March. It therefore has the rough (sporty) suspension. I asked about this and was told that Tesla will install a new suspension that is soft. Softer than what is in the new Model 3's. It was described as like riding an old Cadillac. I have never ridden an old Cadillac and they said the only person to have it installed paid to put the original back in at about $7000. So I am wondering if anyone else has had this done and what they think about it. I do not drive a lot on curvy roads, but do drive on Oakland's pothole-ridden streets.

I've not heard of different comfort levels with the Model 3 suspension, other than I suspect the performance version could be different to the others perhaps?

I just looked in the Model 3 parts manual and there are several different part numbers for what looks like the same dampers/springs but it's not clear what the difference is or whether these apply to different models. Does anyone know?

I'm quite interested in this subject as we're still waiting for the first Model 3 to hit the UK and wondering if the suspension has been changed or adapted for European/UK roads. Any information on this would be very interesting.

I purchased a Model 3 last March. It therefore has the rough (sporty) suspension. I asked about this and was told that Tesla will install a new suspension that is soft. Softer than what is in the new Model 3's. It was described as like riding an old Cadillac. I have never ridden an old Cadillac and they said the only person to have it installed paid to put the original back in at about $7000. So I am wondering if anyone else has had this done and what they think about it. I do not drive a lot on curvy roads, but do drive on Oakland's pothole-ridden streets.

I thought they made the suspension change in December, 2017. So your car should already have the softened suspension. (Assuming your car was built in/around March, 2018.)

Sounds like complete BS and I cannot imagine that the SC's were told to feed these lies to customers asking for the suspension upgrade but....?

Reactions: tracksyde
Good timing, I have a December 2017 manufactured model 3 and I have a service center appointment in 30 minutes to change out my suspension. Right now "sporty" is, I suppose, a good word for it. I mean it is a REALLY firm ride. I'll report back how different it feels once the work is complete.

By the way, this work is being done by Tesla, at a Tesla Service center, fully paid by Tesla.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I rented one with the Sporty Suspension in Feb of 2018 when my reservation to order came up, It was rough and I mean really rough, so much so I almost did not order it, I am glad I did though as my April 2018 build is a completely different car because of the suspension changes made, I understand that another change was made in June of 2018 but not sure what it was that was changed and if they went softer yet?

Amazing. Not heard that one. I have gen 3 suspension. Had Gen 1. 12/17 build. I would hardly describe new as Cadillac like. Still very sporty and fun.

I think the big change was in late December 2017. I rented one of these cars and it was STIFF. I almost didn’t order my own because of how stiff it was.

My car was built March/April of 2018 and is much more compliant than the December ‘17 car but still extremely sporty. Are you saying that your car built at the same time as mine has an additional suspension option? What’s your VIN and build date?

Good timing, I have a December 2017 manufactured model 3 and I have a service center appointment in 30 minutes to change out my suspension. Right now "sporty" is, I suppose, a good word for it. I mean it is a REALLY firm ride. I'll report back how different it feels once the work is complete.

By the way, this work is being done by Tesla, at a Tesla Service center, fully paid by Tesla.
Can you confirm they are changing out all 4 dampers and all 4 springs? If there are any part numbers you can see on the old parts and new parts (or on the worksheet) that would be useful.

Serious? Like an old Cadillac? So the SC said the new suspension is so floaty it’s like riding in a boat. That is such BS it’s laughable.

Reactions: gilscales

Yes, please share your thoughts/experience after the work is complete. I also have an appt to have Tesla inspect the suspension on my car, but it won’t be for another month cause apparently that’s how long it takes to schedule an appt out with a Tesla... :confused:

Just dropped it off at the service center. They said they will take two days to complete. I’ll report back once I pickup and include a copy of the work order with what was done.

As a side note. It was about a month to get the appointment.

So the replacement suspension is neither the original equipment of last year or this year? That doesn’t make sense.
they said that they can't install the new version of shocks in the old version of the Model 3
I have both a relatively new 3 with the current suspension and an older one (16xx) that was converted to softer suspension. They ride almost exactly the same.

so you would suggest getting the replacement, right?

I think the big change was in late December 2017. I rented one of these cars and it was STIFF. I almost didn’t order my own because of how stiff it was.

My car was built March/April of 2018 and is much more compliant than the December ‘17 car but still extremely sporty. Are you saying that your car built at the same time as mine has an additional suspension option? What’s your VIN and build date?

I am not sure of the build date but the order was accepted in February 2018 and delivered around March 21

Your car is March 2018? We have three. One from December 2017. Once from March 2018. And one from June 2018. Only the December 2017 had the stiff suspension. I had it updated by Tesla. It is an improvement for normal driving. The car still handles the curves very nicely. No more choppy feeling on bumpy roads. But if you are a very sporty driver, I will say the early suspension was like driving a go-kart with soft tires, it was GLUED to the road.

Reactions: kbecks13
Your car is March 2018? We have three. One from December 2017. Once from March 2018. And one from June 2018. Only the December 2017 had the stiff suspension. I had it updated by Tesla. It is an improvement for normal driving. The car still handles the curves very nicely. No more choppy feeling on bumpy roads. But if you are a very sporty driver, I will say the early suspension was like driving a go-kart with soft tires, it was GLUED to the road.

thanks for this feedback. sounds like you would suggest getting the replacement... Nice to have 3 3's.