Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Upgrades for 2022 model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I'm doubting you in any way šŸ˜„, but just that this is the only place where I have heard about this suspension "improvement".

I do hope this is true since I do suspect Model Y's suspension will be little on the stiff side for me given the types of cars I have driven in the past.
based on the pictures I posted, the part numbers seem to be the same. It may just be that cars in the current production plant can have so much variation.

The only thing I know for sure, is that this feel like a completely different car.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Just bumping this thread as Iā€™ve been nervously reading up on Model Y Performance suspension and ride as I wait for my delivery.

This video though itā€™s for a 3 suggests that the performance ride is much smoother than past models

This gives some more credence to the OPā€™s experience and might explain some of the disagreeing opinions in other posts Iā€™ve read if indeed some changes have improved the ride and perhaps some 2022 owners who find the ride quite acceptable have one with the changes while others who are dumbfounded by anyone thinking the ride is ok enough do not?

Iā€™m hopeful that Iā€™ll find the ride ok. Iā€™m coming from a Mazda CX-5 GT where the ride is just fine, but nothing to be at all excited about, so Iā€™m at least not accustomed to some luxury feel going into it.

Just bumping this thread as Iā€™ve been nervously reading up on Model Y Performance suspension and ride as I wait for my delivery.

This video though itā€™s for a 3 suggests that the performance ride is much smoother than past models

This gives some more credence to the OPā€™s experience and might explain some of the disagreeing opinions in other posts Iā€™ve read if indeed some changes have improved the ride and perhaps some 2022 owners who find the ride quite acceptable have one with the changes while others who are dumbfounded by anyone thinking the ride is ok enough do not?

Iā€™m hopeful that Iā€™ll find the ride ok. Iā€™m coming from a Mazda CX-5 GT where the ride is just fine, but nothing to be at all excited about, so Iā€™m at least not accustomed to some luxury feel going into it.
Lets just say that even with Comfort Coilovers, my stock 18 prius prime rides nicer

Lets just say that even with Comfort Coilovers, my stock 18 prius prime rides nicer
Toyotas all drive soft imo. They are the best built in terms of reliability but one can also fall asleep at the level of driving enjoyment or lack there of. Lol. If you want they Lexus smooth, go get one. If you want gobs of power, decent handling and performance, a firmer ride, it comes along with the package. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

Toyotas all drive soft imo. They are the best built in terms of reliability but one can also fall asleep at the level of driving enjoyment or lack there of. Lol. If you want they Lexus smooth, go get one. If you want gobs of power, decent handling and performance, a firmer ride, it comes along with the package. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø
I agree, however the 3/Y ride like a BMW lol

You say that like it's a bad thing. Although I would agree that starting with the f30 generation even non-sport package BMWs were too soft. I think you're actually proving Destiny's point... My '22 Performance Y rides awesome and you can tell that they've definitely tuned this suspension for the car vs just throwing whatever was available at it. It's tight, but not jarring; exactly how a nice suspension should feel.

I think a lot of these complaints that we see are simply from people who are used to riding around in typically soft suspension cars.

ā€¦

I think a lot of these complaints that we see are simply from people who are used to riding around in typically soft suspension cars.
I actually find our LR Y incredibly comfortable despite being a loyal Lexus owner for 25-years. My previous LS 460 was so smooth it actually made bumps more noticeable because I always expected a glass smooth ride.

With our 2021 LR Y (19ā€ Geminis) I expect it to be bumpier but it actually rides really well and has good dampening over poor roads. When I first test drove the Y I recall thinking itā€™s way too stiff and thereā€™s no way Iā€™d trade my Raven Model S for it. Well, never say never. No more S and love our LR Y.

I did lower the PSI down to 38 on the Y (but I did the same -4 PSI on our S too). Oddly enough, I find the Yā€™s ride quality has gotten better despite the tires wearing down. Perhaps the springs are relaxing more and breaking in better after 14K miles. Sometimes adjusting your seat positing just an inch fore/aft and altering your seat back angle changes how you feel the bumps ā€” at least it does for me. I used to experiment with multiple seat memory positions on my Lexus, and multiple profiles on the Model S, and slight alterations to my driving position would affect how tight of a line I held through a turn and also how much of the road bumps I would feel.

In fact, I find our LR Y rides so well that Iā€™m willing to trade off some comfort for better handling and will get ultra-high performance Continental DWS06 Plus when weā€™re due for new tires, whereas I only bought grand touring tires on past cars.

Last edited:
I actually find our LR Y incredibly comfortable despite being a loyal Lexus owner for 25-years. My previous LS 460 was so smooth it actually made bumps more noticeable because I always expected a glass smooth ride.

With our 2021 LR Y (19ā€ Geminis) I expect it to be bumpier but it actually rides really well and has good dampening over poor roads. When I first test drove the Y I recall thinking itā€™s way too stiff and thereā€™s no way Iā€™d trade my Raven Model S for it. Well, never say never. No more S and love our LR Y.

I did lower the PSI down to 38 on the Y (but I did the same -4 PSI on our S too). Oddly enough, I find the Yā€™s ride quality has gotten better despite the tires wearing down. Perhaps the springs are relaxing more and breaking in better after 14K miles. Sometimes adjusting your seat positing just an inch fore/aft and altering your seat back angle changes how you feel the bumps ā€” at least it does for me. I used to experiment with multiple seat memory positions on my Lexus, and multiple profiles on the Model S, and slight alterations to my driving position would affect how tight of a line I held through a turn and also how much of the road bumps I would feel.

In fact, I find our LR Y rides so well that Iā€™m willing to trade off some comfort for better handling and will get ultra-high performance Continental DWS06 Plus when weā€™re due for new tires, whereas I only bought grand touring tires on past cars.
Hey glad to hear about the transition from S to Y. Weā€™ve had an MS since esrly 2016 and then again 2018 100D. Everyone keeps saying itā€™ll be a hard transition. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

I donā€™t believe so as we have a 22ā€™ model 3 LR w/boost now, and although it does feel slightly more imperfections in the road than our S did, not worlds apart. And this is now with our 20ā€™ summers on with 39 psi. Also the handling of the 3 trumps the S. Canā€™t wait for our MYP in 3 weeks and the higher seating, reclining rears seats for kids. Plan to add foot sensor for rear trunk lid opening, and maybe a yoke as we have in the 3.

Any other adjustments you had to get used to?
My wife hates the manual door handles so Iā€™m installing auto present handles function on both 3 and Y. Install this weekend :)

Ha, I went from a ā€˜15 S 85d on 21ā€ wheels to a Y also and the Y is a better car all around (and yes, that even includes the ride and handling) except for some minor interior finishes and the manual handles. I wish the top of the dash and door panels were wrapped in the same leatherette material as the door pull handles vs the coarser grain material that is on them now (although itā€™s the same on non-premium interior S as well); also would be great to have an alcantara headliner and pillars and a thicker steering wheel.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Ha, I went from a ā€˜15 S 85d on 21ā€ wheels to a Y also and the Y is a better car all around (and yes, that even includes the ride and handling) except for some minor interior finishes and the manual handles. I wish the top of the dash and door panels were wrapped in the same leatherette material as the door pull handles vs the coarser grain material that is on them now (although itā€™s the same on non-premium interior S as well); also would be great to have an alcantara headliner and pillars and a thicker steering wheel.
Ditto on the beige headlinerā€¦needs dark alcatera imo. Glad to hear another fellow S owner praising the Y šŸ‘šŸ½

Hey glad to hear about the transition from S to Y. Weā€™ve had an MS since esrly 2016 and then again 2018 100D. Everyone keeps saying itā€™ll be a hard transition. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

I donā€™t believe so as we have a 22ā€™ model 3 LR w/boost now, and although it does feel slightly more imperfections in the road than our S did, not worlds apart. And this is now with our 20ā€™ summers on with 39 psi. Also the handling of the 3 trumps the S. Canā€™t wait for our MYP in 3 weeks and the higher seating, reclining rears seats for kids. Plan to add foot sensor for rear trunk lid opening, and maybe a yoke as we have in the 3.

Any other adjustments you had to get used to?
My wife hates the manual door handles so Iā€™m installing auto present handles function on both 3 and Y. Install this weekend :)
I didnā€™t realize thereā€™s an aftermarket option to present door handles for the 3/Y. That is pretty neat.

I considered a kick sensor but discovered the Watch for Tesla app allows me to use Siri to ā€œopen trunkā€ from my Apple Watch. With the LTE version I can even lock/unlock and drive the Y if Iā€™m without both my phone and keycard.
Tesla app on Apple Watch

Surprisingly, there isnā€™t much I miss from the S. Our Y has more range, reclining rear seats, more cup holders, and Supercharges twice as fast! I thought the air suspension was going to be the biggest difference but itā€™s the dual screens that I miss most. The single screen on 3/Y is fine albeit a little crowded. I miss having turn-by-turn navigation on the instrument cluster so it doesnā€™t get obscured when passengers start playing with the music selection.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Although I would agree that starting with the f30 generation even non-sport package BMWs were too soft. I think you're actually proving Destiny's point... My '22 Performance Y rides awesome and you can tell that they've definitely tuned this suspension for the car vs just throwing whatever was available at it. It's tight, but not jarring; exactly how a nice suspension should feel.

If you are looking for a comfortable ride it is

Love my '20 MY with all its quirkiness. Next one is going to be a 2024 MYP when my current one is going to be handed-down to my son. Hopefully by then, it will come with new door trims and perhaps a few more goodies like a secondary screen in the rear and dare I say, an air suspension?

Reactions: bpon89
I went from a '20 YP to a '22 YP and the '22 YP is much smoother (and quieter).

Ride is always subjective of course, but this is particularly interesting to me, and what I've been wondering... Are a lot of the MYP ride complaints from older builds, even older '22 builds perhaps? This is all speculation for the fun part as far as I'm concerned, but I'm hopeful my yet to be built '22 MYP ride surpasses my currently not super high expectations :)