TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Suspension wish list - persistent high ground clearance mode.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by vwtodd, Dec 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. vwtodd

vwtodd Member

I realize that the current air suspension on the S can go to approx 7" and the X, 9"? My understanding is that the high ground clearance modes shut off at 10mph. I'd love to have a similar mode for the 3 with some changes. Here in the very snowy upstate NY/New England, the ability to go to 9"+ of ground clearance up to 45-50 mph is very helpful for our snow covered roads. Not talking about Jeep level off-roading or anything, rather Subaru Outback clearance. If the 3 has an adjustable suspension option, hope that Elon and the crew take this into consideration.

• Like x 4
  2. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

I thought of this in the past too.

I suspect it would conflict with Tesla (quite understandable) statement that the cars are designed for use on smooth roads.
    Whilst higher clearance in snow might be desirable - and you can use "Extra High" up to 20mph, it would also possibly encourage some to use it for additional clearance for uneven tracks.

3. vwtodd

vwtodd Member

Good points, however some of us are more interested in utility than all-out performance. The Model Y may fill this void. I'd be happy with two traditional suspensions options from the factory to make their lives easier. One, a standard 5" clearance for performance oriented interests (both P and normal) and 8"-9" "Outback like" options for the more utility minded, along with 18" wheels for more resiliency on bad roads. I'd take the small efficiency hit for this.

• Like x 1
  4. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

I suspect Tesla are more interested in avoiding the "battery damaged" discussion when somebody grounds the car by getting too ambitious than catering for off road use, at least with the current models.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Why would you be driving 40-50 mph with 9 inches of snow on the road? Perhaps you want a Tesla Model S-nowplow ;)

• Funny x 5
  6. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

Just a little reminder.... remember that when you are driving through snow that deep, your front radar antenna will become impacted with snow, and will not be able to do its job; so drive accordingly. That said, a couple of additional inches of height could lessen this effect.

• Like x 1
  7. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

Highly, highly unlikely the M3 will have air/adjustable suspension. I'm guessing coil will be the only offer. No reason to put it in this class/type of car.

• Disagree x 4
  8. vwtodd

vwtodd Member

More like driving with 4"-5" which is not uncommon - 9" gives you clearance on top of that. I would not be driving fast, if at all in 9"!

• Informative x 1
  9. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I have the opposite problem/desire- I wish they would offer the P suspension without having to go the whole-hog AWD performance model!

10. vwtodd

vwtodd Member

Can't find the link now, but the newer S/X have heaters on all the camera/sensors for just this reason - they stay clear in all conditions.

11. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

I hope they do, for accessing my steep driveway. A standard height vehicle scrapes, so I'd have to wait for the Y...

12. eisbock

eisbock Member

Right, but that's for snow covering your vehicle. This guy's saying that if you're driving in snow that's at or above the level of a sensor, it will not be able to function properly because snow will always be in front of it, no matter how hot the sensor gets.

Unless Tesla introduces a flamethrower/laser beam system that clears a path several hundred feet in front of the vehicle on snowy days. Although I'm sure it would clear a lot more than just snow off the road!

• Funny x 1
  13. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Elon has already said that SAS will be an option on the Model 3.

• Informative x 6
  14. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

Expect the M3 to have a considerable list of options.

Base models to meet the entry price commitment.
    Optioned models to make the money.

This is one aspect of auto manufacturing where Tesla would be mad not to follow established practice.

15. Trips

Trips Member

Just enable the James Bond Lotus mode. You can slide in the snow.

Even in 3 inches of snow when they plow the roads they create higher mounds. This is hard packed snow that can be like a rock. The roads can be clear but intersections with these ridges I close my eyes and hope my front end is not ripped off.

16. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

On the Model S/X you can't order the air suspension as a separate option. You have to get the "P" Performance version to get the air suspension. I would expect the same would be true on the Model 3.

• Disagree x 2
  17. abelohlavek

abelohlavek Member

Air suspension is a $2500 option available at every battery, motor, and performance trim variation.

• Like x 3
  18. Jayc

Jayc Member

Most people have noted that on Model S, air suspension does not make much of a difference to ride quality so I presume people get that option simply to alter ground clearance for snow. That got me thinking, isn't there a cheaper and more reliable solution to adjust the height and fix it at a particular static setting.

19. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Lower setting is better for high speed and reduces drag... Higher is better for pulling in driveways. If it was static and you had such a driveway you either sacrifice range or scrape your car all the time.

My Prius scrapes every time ... it's annoying.

• Like x 1
  20. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

here's a video where an accelerometer was used to compare an air suspension Model S and a coil Model S at 45MPH (access road) and 62MPH (freeway)

There was a noticeable difference at the freeway speed. The blue line is the air, orange the coil.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 9.17.08 AM.png

• Informative x 1