Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious to know the performance of the coil suspension in the Model 3. I hear it is firmer than the S so I am a little concerned that it is not a comfortable ride.

I’ve seen people test and compare the coil suspension that was offered for years on the S with the upgraded air suspension option. I am hoping that an early delivery holder can provide some real world performance stats on the comfort of the 3’s coil suspension.

I’m looking for a car with a quiet cabin—a luxurious feel and ride that smooths out a lot of bumps in the road. The Model 3 would be replacing my Toyota Prius. My next car is going to be a more premium vehicle than my Prius. I’ve looked at Lexus but Toyota has no BEV option currently. I don’t have the money for an S but was hoping the 3 would be able to provide a luxury car type of ride.

It’s going to be a stiffer ride than a Lexus. (Former IS250 owner here). I would call the ride sporty, and closer to the old Plus suspension that used to be offered on the S.

If you are looking for a smoother ride, you will need to test drive it for sure.

Cabin noise is good and quiet compared to my S, but NOT Lexus quiet level at all.

With all that said, I think you will find the driving experience entirely different from a Prius. In a good way.

It’s going to be a stiffer ride than a Lexus. (Former IS250 owner here). I would call the ride sporty, and closer to the old Plus suspension that used to be offered on the S.

If you are looking for a smoother ride, you will need to test drive it for sure.

Cabin noise is good and quiet compared to my S, but NOT Lexus quiet level at all.

With all that said, I think you will find the driving experience entirely different from a Prius. In a good way.

Several owners of Model S or Model X have been consistent in their description on comfort and compliance: See 2:00 on video.

Just received our model 3 with 18 inch wheels and Michelin tires on Wednesday. I could barely tell any difference compared to our S with air suspension 19 inch Goodyear's. Really, had to go over and over the same stretch this time with my wife with me before we agreed the air suspension was slightly smoother and softer than the 3. Yes, I know many have reported the model 3s ride is more sports like or harder than the S. The only thing we came up with was: The Michelin's are a softer riding tire. Tesla has changed something with the suspension to make it softer. The 18's are softer riding than 19's. Or probably we are just unable to tell these somewhat subjective differences.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Just took delivery of my model 3 with Aero wheels on Thursday. Also has a Model S with coil suspension and standard sized tires. The ride on model 3 is significantly firmer than S. It is my perception and 4 different passengers' as well. Drove through a stretch of surface street lined with redwood trees, every bump shook the 3 up and down. Those same bumps were hardly noticeable in the S. On the other hand, there was considerably less lean in tight turns so I am slowing down less in the 3 now when maneuvering tight corners. Not exactly precise, but to me, model 3 feels a BMW 3, while S feels like a Lexus GS.

To the OP, my suggestion is to test drive a 3 first if ride comfort is critical in purchase decision.

Just took delivery of my model 3 with Aero wheels on Thursday. Also has a Model S with coil suspension and standard sized tires. The ride on model 3 is significantly firmer than S.

Completely agree, my classic S with coil suspension is much more comfortable than our new 3. While the 3 feels nice and agile in the corners, the ride is the firmest I've ever had in a car by far, and I had a 350Z for many years. It feels far firmer/rougher than the 350Z which I never expected. I'm hoping it will soften up a bit after it has some miles on it.

I leased a BMW i3 and one of my complaints was the stiffness of the ride. Highways were great but urban driving was bumpy. Does anyone have a similar experience with an i3 and how it might compare to the Model 3?

We had an i3 for 3½ years and found the ride to be choppy on the 20" wheels. We lowered the suspension an inch to firm it up and widened the track 30mm to pretty good effect. Whist it was firmer, it was 'stable' rather than bouncy which stock was. The Model 3 instantly felt a lot more compliant than the i3 when we picked it up on the 19" wheels. The bigger and better difference is the width of the tires - this seems to reduce the impact of uneven roads by averaging things out better - in the i3 small patches of repaired road would send shudders through the cabin, the Model 3 resists that, smoothing out the shudder into more of a patter. Much of this could be due to the carbon fiber on aluminium frame construction of the i3 versus a traditional monocoque design in the Model 3. Ironically, the i3 handles bumps with a feeling that's similar to the Roadster in noise - same construction.

I have the unplugged springs on order that'll lower and soften the ride on the Model 3, I'm hoping for perfection at that point!

That is probably one of the elusive early P85Ds with the plus suspension. We have one, and yes, it is harsher than the 3.

How would I be able to tell if this P85D has that special suspension? I still have it in my posession.

Back on topic, my S90D with coil suspension/19" is softer than the 3, but I think they're reasonably close. The S weighs 800lbs more so that affects the way it rides as well. My X100D with 20"/air has pretty firm suspension as well, but the super soft white seats in the X make it feel like you're driving on a cloud.

How would I be able to tell if this P85D has that special suspension? I still have it in my posession.

Back on topic, my S90D with coil suspension/19" is softer than the 3, but I think they're reasonably close. The S weighs 800lbs more so that affects the way it rides as well. My X100D with 20"/air has pretty firm suspension as well, but the super soft white seats in the X make it feel like you're driving on a cloud.

You have to look at the part number on the suspension:
P85D (pre/post April) ride performance

Took delivery of a Model 3 with 19" sport wheels Saturday.

Love the suspension, as has everyone who has driven it and ridden in it, and most of us are used to Japanese and American cars, which are softly sprung for comfort. No one yet has said, "Wow, the ride is harsh." Delight, to a person.

This is an awesome, sporty car that sticks to the road. It's not a "bouncy, floaty, cushiony, boat feeling" car. It's a hug the road, go around corners with confidence ride. It is really well tuned for bumps and cornering. It has a little body roll, but not much. If you're the kind of person who wants all bumps to not be felt at all, well, I suppose you may prefer a Cadillac or Lexus. But if you worry that it's harsh and loud and banging and rattling—that's just not true. If you are a person who likes zero body roll, you'll want to STIFFEN it actually. (That's not my cup of tea, I prefer the compromise that they've chosen.)

At one point my college-age daughter was driving, and I said, "Hey, just as a test—take the next speed bump without slowing down." She went over it at about 30 mph, and it just soaked it up, where our Prius would be bouncing and slamming a little. I saw a video on YouTube showing much the same thing with two guys on a big hill doing a similar test and coming to a similar conclusion.

People's reaction is not, "Man, this thing's rides rough" Instead, while they are almost all people who drive boring cars, they have all lit up and had a blast driving it. It amazed them that they could take a corner at speed and not slop and sway all over the place. They want this car. Just like it is.

So maybe you're worried that Tesla somehow designed an unpleasant car you'll regret? Does that even sound like it could be possible? What's more likely is that during the long wait people had to find something to funnel their anxiety into, like we all tend to do.

Find someone who owns one with sport wheels. Ask to drive it. If you already drive a German car that's got a more handling-oriented (versus comfort oriented) suspension, don't even bother with a test drive; it's like that.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61