Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sustainable Food Choices at Superchargers - Harris Ranch & the Environment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of protecting the environment for me is being very considerate about my food choices. A huge chunk of our share of carbon is from what we choose to eat. I figure I am not the only Tesla owner that is an environmentalist and a vegetarian or a sustainable eater.

I hope when considering future supercharger locations, Tesla considers the dining choices for its customer base. I wrote a long blog post about this for more of my perspective. I'm interested to see if there are other voices who are interested in sustainable eating while waiting for their car to recharge.

Although Harris Ranch is the California symbol of factory farming, I recognize many other restaurants are in the same bucket although one step removed.

i love me a nice in-n-out burger hopefully they put some next to the superchargers
2ake3ir.gif

i love me a nice in-n-out burger hopefully they put some next to the superchargers
2ake3ir.gif

still fast food, junk, and unsustainable (still way better than the others - but veggies? non existent!)

I had a vision of superchargers/battery swap locations in/near organic/natural farm sites w/ solar arrays and started writing a business plan but put it aside for a bit..
+ a 2 seater rental version of the S that would be too much fun ( to go along with the battery swapping)

Last edited:
I personally love meat, and love to eat some delicious animals. In fact, I once ate 118 different species of animals in one sitting (long story on that one). That being said, it would be good to have super chargers near places that offer at least some vegitarian meals. I have never been to Harris Ranch, and probably never will visit there, so I dont know, but do they offer any meatless meals? Placing super chargers at places that only offer meatless food would be bad for the overwhelming majority of Tesla owners who love meat, but I think it would be reasonable to try to place them near a place that at least serves salad (or whatever else it is that vegetarians eat)

I've been thinking about this too. I do the long drive on I-5 from San Diego to Silicon Valley a couple times a year, and have longed to see some decent food establishments along the route. When Tesla announced the Superchargers, it seemed to me that there's a new opportunity to build out a new chain of high-quality, sustainable, slow/local food establishments at the Supercharger sites. Tesla ought to partner with such places. To the point that you could tap some buttons on your 17" screen and let the restaurant know your GPS location and how soon you'll be arriving, and place your order while on the way, so when you arrive, presto, food's ready, charge up, eat up, and go!

The Subway sandwich at the Shell gas station at Harris Ranch has non meat meals. The new super charger bays are in front of the main restaurant. They had a side of beef outside on the BBQ creating a wonderful aroma in the parking lot. Vegetarians should use the single super charger at the Shell gas station. There are picnic tables adjacent to the original super charger.

I like meat! we have grass fed local beef and lamb - yum
love fish (preferably line caught fresh)
fresh abalone & scallops mmmmmm
beer wine & veggies just go really good with all of them.

Folsom Supercharger - >??Mc D's? at least the Mexican restaurant was decent ( but I didn't cross Iron pt to look around either)

Here is their menu..... Not a vegetarian restaurant, but enough to keep any veggie minded person happy.

http://www.harrisranch.com/pdf/hhr_menu.pdf

I wouldn't go that far. It's pretty slim pickings. I couldn't find a single vegetarian dinner entree, basically salads, soup or a portabella burger. I say definitely below average for a California restaurant (usually there's some veggie pasta on offer or something).

I wouldn't go that far. It's pretty slim pickings. I couldn't find a single vegetarian dinner entree, basically salads, soup or a portabella burger. I say definitely below average for a California restaurant (usually there's some veggie pasta on offer or something).

Applebee's vegetarian food

the problem really is solved since we cook for ourselves. Take a picnic and eat out of your frunk on a roadtrip. Saves any trouble trying to find good food (If you're 'picky' or just like good food)

Pasta is made with eggs (aka chicken abortions). Can true vegetarians eat that? They had a steamed veggie entre... dont be so picky!

Real pasta isn't made with eggs, only semolina and water. I'm not picky, but I have to keep my wife happy when looking for restaurants. I've learned to scan first for vegetarian options, because there's no point looking further if there isn't something she's going to like.

I think Tesla should put the SCs where they make sense, and if the food choices nearby suit a particular group, great. I don't think they should go down the path of forcing an "image" which would then be put onto their customers. I'm personally not a greenie and just obliterated some Five Guys. I wouldn't want to pull up to one in the future and get odd looks because I'm in a Tesla.

Keep it neutral Tesla.

I personally love meat, and love to eat some delicious animals. In fact, I once ate 118 different species of animals in one sitting (long story on that one). That being said, it would be good to have super chargers near places that offer at least some vegitarian meals. I have never been to Harris Ranch, and probably never will visit there, so I dont know, but do they offer any meatless meals? Placing super chargers at places that only offer meatless food would be bad for the overwhelming majority of Tesla owners who love meat, but I think it would be reasonable to try to place them near a place that at least serves salad (or whatever else it is that vegetarians eat)
TMI??? :)
And as for this so called "Harris Ranch", not one of those infamous ranches near Vegas is it? Oops, way off topic.

I think Tesla should put the SCs where they make sense, and if the food choices nearby suit a particular group, great. I don't think they should go down the path of forcing an "image" which would then be put onto their customers. I'm personally not a greenie and just obliterated some Five Guys. I wouldn't want to pull up to one in the future and get odd looks because I'm in a Tesla.

Keep it neutral Tesla.

I agree they should keep it neutral, but an isolated supercharger with one steak restaurant is not really "keeping it neutral" as a steak restaurant near a feedlot is really the opposite end of sustainable or vegetarian eating. Probably in the entire San Francisco Bay area, we probably have less than 10 steak restaurants left, if even that. :smile:

I think there is enough of us in the Tesla environmental camp that Tesla should take our needs into consideration - even if just for business reasons.