Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SW/Firmware: Model S Apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're assuming .99 apps. I suspect that there will be many apps that are substantially more (and appropriate, considering the testing that will be required). There may also be some that come with a monthly usage fee.

I don't KNOW this, but it's what I'd consider (if I worked at Tesla).

You're assuming .99 apps. I suspect that there will be many apps that are substantially more (and appropriate, considering the testing that will be required). There may also be some that come with a monthly usage fee.

I don't KNOW this, but it's what I'd consider (if I worked at Tesla).

I never said 99 cent apps. I actually was assuming $10 apps, which is why I chose an average of $100 per owner, which I suspect will be higher than what most people will spend. There will only be so many apps that are worth having in your car as opposed to something you already have on your phone or tablet.

I never said 99 cent apps. I actually was assuming $10 apps, which is why I chose an average of $100 per owner, which I suspect will be higher than what most people will spend. There will only be so many apps that are worth having in your car as opposed to something you already have on your phone or tablet.

Oops. Sorry. I was influenced by some user results that show when they hear 'app' , they think .99. Apologies. ... if it were my business model to build, there would be apps (or rather 'optional vehicle upgrades') that would cost substantially more than $10. And as an owner, I'd probably pay for that. Look at what we already paid for Tesla Tattler, cf upgrades, etc.

I tend to agree. In the beginning anyway, there won't be enough volume to see much revenue there. These apps will need to be quality apps too, not just fart apps and games (while driving?) so the volume of apps will also likely be initially smaller.

I think in the early days, accessories and upgrades (hardware and software) will be the biggest after-sales money maker for Tesla. Once there are 100k Teslas on the road though (which I think we'll see S, X and Bluestar before that's hit), I think the app store (assuming it is set up where they get money off sales) will be very lucrative for Tesla.

As for my concern... I just worry they'll fall flat somewhere and 3 years of waiting will end with a soft thud. Model S will determine if I stick with the brand through to the X or not. I think I will, but hey, a concern is a concern.

Oops. Sorry. I was influenced by some user results that show when they hear 'app' , they think .99. Apologies. ... if it were my business model to build, there would be apps (or rather 'optional vehicle upgrades') that would cost substantially more than $10. And as an owner, I'd probably pay for that. Look at what we already paid for Tesla Tattler, cf upgrades, etc.

I guess it depends on the type of app. If it's something like Yelp as a way to find local businesses, which would certainly be convenient to have directly in the Model S, it'll be a tough sell to charge anything close to $10 considering it is a free app for any phone. If it's something more geared towards automotive or EVs, such as an EV charging station finder app, I could see people paying $10 for those. But there's only so many of these types of apps people will find a need for or will be willing to pay for. I think it's a great point that you bring up, I just don't see it being a real money maker for Tesla.

Tesla will make money from its initial sales, through service and maintenance (even if it is limited vs. an ICE automobile), post-production upgrades (tech upgrades, interior upgrades, cosmetic upgrades, and of course battery upgrades), EV charging station fees, and most importantly EV and drivetrain deals with other automakers. I really see the latter as being the real money maker for Tesla. They will make a bulk of their money as being an automotive supplier for EVs.

What app might I want in my car that I don't already have on my phone? Anyone help me out here.....?

Very good point, and faced with say a $10 yelp app, most would just use their phone. I'd prefer in-car versions of apps over a phone version personally. I know lots of people who skip the GPS upgrade in their car and instead try to use their phones -- usually a fail. I'd love an Audible app to play my audiobooks int he car (saving location, syncing my library etc). I could stream from my phone, but I think it would be easier to manage on the big screen.

Then there's things like charge station finders and weather apps, which while work fine on the phone, could be even better on the big screen if designed right (i.e. show me a map of where I am and what's around me and weather conditions over those specific areas)

A Trapster App integrated with OFFline navigation maps!
An app that records/monitors/displays ALL of the internal drive data that is available!
Various 'skins' for your dash.
Fuel saved app.
Nearby Tesla vehicles app!
App that monitors exterior temperature and light and predicts rain, and closes your windows automatically!

TMC Forum App!! :biggrin:

I'd want the three iphone apps I normally use in the car:
- Podcaster (or similar app with automatic download and/or streaming of my favorite podcasts)
- Recargo/Plugshare (preferably integrated with nav)
- Tomtom iphone app w dynamic routing navigation based on current road speeds, miles to destination countdown (good for comparing to estimated range) and speed limit warning

That's pretty much all I need. But I suspect the included nav won't do dynamic road condition based routing, and I haven't heard anything about podcasts. As a result I suspect I'm going to need a way to mount and use my little iphone screen instead of that gorgeous 17" screen a lot of the time.

What app might I want in my car that I don't already have on my phone? Anyone help me out here.....?

We have made a whole thread on apps. Any one that we have talked about might be in the works in Tesla's secret underground app bunker.

Other App threads:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7864-Tesla-charge-location-app?highlight=apps
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6429-Infotainment-center-apps?highlight=apps
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3182-IPhone-Apps-for-Evs?highlight=apps

Iphone Ipad drive your car remote control app.

hot-wheels-initro-speeders.jpg

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57372994-48/iphone-app-controls-tiny-hot-wheels-car/

IMG_0177-580x435.png
IMG_0178-580x435.png
IMG_0179-580x435.png
IMG_0181-580x435.png

iNitro-iPad-580x425.png

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile...-controlled-with-your-iphone-or-ipad-2012029/

A Trapster App integrated with OFFline navigation maps!
An app that records/monitors/displays ALL of the internal drive data that is available!
Various 'skins' for your dash.
Fuel saved app.
Nearby Tesla vehicles app!
App that monitors exterior temperature and light and predicts rain, and closes your windows automatically!

TMC Forum App!! :biggrin:

Good list.

Also:
Dynolicious
Plug Share
Places/pintrist/foresquare/localscope type finder

Do you think we can connect a bluetooth keyboard?

I'd actually prefer a bluetooth touchPad or joystick device to use as an alternative to the touchscreen. Obviously this would not be for typing, but for simply navigating the UI and selecting/switching different things. It'd be in the same vein as the knobs and joysticks that other car manufacturers use in the center console. The advantage is that you wouldn't need to lean forward to get to the touchscreen, but could comfortably navigate the UI while remaining in your normal comfortable driving position. But then again, I'd simply prefer if they have solid voice commands in place that would allow you to do pretty much anything you could with the touchscreen.