Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SW/Firmware: Model S Apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apps for the Model S and Future Cars

I'm a software developer and future Model S owner. I've thought up 3 different apps I can't wait to make.

1) Sports Theme
2) Trip Calculator (with government data on EV Stations)
3) Music based on driving speed/acceleration sound track thingy

Please post your friendly ideas if you don't mind others hearing! =)

I've mentioned this before but I want an app that I can turn on and off for fun that at random intervals when I give it a voice command, it will play say over the speakers "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." Would be great for when you have guests in the car if your name is Dave I guess.

Dave

As discussed in another thread, there are issues making screenshot of dashboard/touchscreen content with handheld devices while the car is moving.
How about an app doing a screen capture by pressing a button on the touch screen? Contents are stored in 2 files (dash & touch screen). App settings specify which image tags are added to the file: key fob ID (aka "his"/"hers"/"kid"), VIN, GPS location, speed, direction, temperatures, SOC, you name it.

I work in a building where cell phones are not allowed. My big question: Will there be a web-based version of the Model S app so I can check the charge, turn on the climate control system, etc. before leaving for the day? Or will I have to download the Android SDK and run an emulator to be able to access my car?

I work in a building where cell phones are not allowed. My big question: Will there be a web-based version of the Model S app so I can check the charge, turn on the climate control system, etc. before leaving for the day? Or will I have to download the Android SDK and run an emulator to be able to access my car?

If an emulator is available to run android apps or iOS apps, that may be an interesting possibility.

I am really hoping there is a basic web interface. I don't have an Android or iPhone, and I want to turn on the AC in my car before I walk out there sometimes. I can't imagine that Tesla would overlook this.

Spotify! I'm shocked I reading a review today that Spotify is not supported, and neither is voice recognition (despite Elon showing it off at the beta release event). I'm beginning to get a little worried of over promising and under delivering.

Spotify! I'm shocked I reading a review today that Spotify is not supported, and neither is voice recognition (despite Elon showing it off at the beta release event). I'm beginning to get a little worried of over promising and under delivering.

JB Straubel stated in one of the reviews that Google Voice would be added to the Model S.

Google Now is the name of the voice-oriented search and response (it does other things as well, like predictively bring up estimated commute times, sports scores, weather...). Google Voice is the voicemail/VoIP/messaging integrated app. Google Now on the display would be really cool.

Google Now is the name of the voice-oriented search and response (it does other things as well, like predictively bring up estimated commute times, sports scores, weather...). Google Voice is the voicemail/VoIP/messaging integrated app. Google Now on the display would be really cool.

Yeah, saw Google Now in action the other day on a new Android phone running Jelly Bean. Super slick! Beats Siri by some distance as of now.

yea I guess the nomenclature was either a slip up by the Mercury News reporter or JB

Troy Wolverton - San Jose Mercury News

The console also doesn't support voice control. So you can't press a button and tell it to dial a phone number for you or change the channel. Tesla's chief technology officer, J.B. Straubel, said the company plans to add voice control using Google Voice, but it's not available at launch. And sorry, iPhone fans, the company doesn't yet plan to support the new hands-free capabilities Apple (AAPL) is adding to its Siri feature.

Somewhat disappointing, yes. But, assuming bluetooth audio is there you can use spotify/pandora/etc from your phone in the mean time. Possibly even via wifi using Model S data plan. Nice thing is instead of trolling these forums for hours a day while waiting for them to get this stuff working, we'll be able to cruise in our Model S's. :smile: