Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SW update now requires WIFI? SW update failed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because of a wired problem that I can’t remote enable A/C from the phone app while my car is on WiFi. So I disconnected the WiFi while parking at my Garage. But now my SW stuck at 20.4.2, and I need 24.x + to enable my ChaDemo adapter.

I called Tesla support and they said that they pushed 24.x twice to my car via WiFi and it is failed. They will push it again this Saturday night, and it has to be on WiFi. If still failed , I need bring the car to service to get fixed. So I connected my WiFi at garage. But still nothing. I drove to service yesterday morning but the guy said that I need an appointment to look what wrong with my car.

WiFi is connected now for sure because I can play slackers with WiFI symbols on the screen. My new software just not comes.

I will do the restart trick as some ppl saying it will get the software sooner.

I'm wondering if I have a similar issue. I'm also extremely interested in getting on 2019.24+ for CHAdeMO adapter and I requested a software update, but only received a map update download via WiFi. Did you get a message saying the software update failed? I havent seen any indication that the software has tried to update itself. Or is the failure only visible by Tesla.

Also, extremely disappointed that SC voicemail is full and there is no Tesla chat to get timely interactions. This adapter has been an expensive paperweight so far.

I'm wondering if I have a similar issue. I'm also extremely interested in getting on 2019.24+ for CHAdeMO adapter and I requested a software update, but only received a map update download via WiFi. Did you get a message saying the software update failed? I havent seen any indication that the software has tried to update itself. Or is the failure only visible by Tesla.

Also, extremely disappointed that SC voicemail is full and there is no Tesla chat to get timely interactions. This adapter has been an expensive paperweight so far.

Don't think Tesla has pulled 24.x and not sending out anymore because of a few bugs found like Dog Mode. You will probably need to wait on 28.x that is starting to roll out. Also this is what you see if an update is available.

IMG_0677.jpeg

Last edited:

I called SC (but I think transferred to call center ) waited 30 mins and got the response as I mentioned in my post. No software installation failure indicated from either car nor app.

So far , I tried all the trick that I could find from google, no luck. I made an appointment now with the SC, some ppl saying they will cancel the appointment and push the software through. Let’s see.

24 is pretty new, I doubt it has pushed to the entire fleet yet

TeslaFi is showing 2019.24.x is currently installed on 80.2% of the Model 3s it's tracking. There seem to always be a few cars that TeslaFi tracks that lag behind the others (there are 10.7% on 2019.20.x, 1.2% on 2019.16.x, and smaller numbers on even earlier releases, for instance), and in many cases there are a few that are running the next release early (there are currently 4.8% on 2019.28.x, for instance). At least some of this is by design -- Tesla deliberately rolls out new releases to limited numbers of cars so as to minimize the problems caused by bugs that are discovered late in the process. I'm not sure why there are around 15% on lagging versions. That could be deliberate, to enable data collection on older vs. newer software; or it could be a matter of cars failing to update for one reason or another, even when they're scheduled to do so. There's been speculation here that cars using HW2.5 and HW3 receive different releases, too; and new vehicles also often seem to be delivered with peculiar software versions.

In sum, unless Tesla changes their release procedures and there are no glitches that prevent cars from upgrading, there will never be a case when all Teslas are running the same software release.

TeslaFi is showing 2019.24.x is currently installed on 80.2% of the Model 3s it's tracking. There seem to always be a few cars that TeslaFi tracks that lag behind the others (there are 10.7% on 2019.20.x, 1.2% on 2019.16.x, and smaller numbers on even earlier releases, for instance), and in many cases there are a few that are running the next release early (there are currently 4.8% on 2019.28.x, for instance). At least some of this is by design -- Tesla deliberately rolls out new releases to limited numbers of cars so as to minimize the problems caused by bugs that are discovered late in the process. I'm not sure why there are around 15% on lagging versions. That could be deliberate, to enable data collection on older vs. newer software; or it could be a matter of cars failing to update for one reason or another, even when they're scheduled to do so. There's been speculation here that cars using HW2.5 and HW3 receive different releases, too; and new vehicles also often seem to be delivered with peculiar software versions.

In sum, unless Tesla changes their release procedures and there are no glitches that prevent cars from upgrading, there will never be a case when all Teslas are running the same software release.

I wonder if Tesla stop pushing 24.x release, for those did not receive it because of that wired doggy problem.

I wonder if Tesla stop pushing 24.x release, for those did not receive it because of that wired doggy problem.

No, TeslaFi shows 14 updates to 2019.24.4 today. AFAIK, the Dog Mode bug affects 2019.24.x and all previous releases with the Dog Mode feature. Thus, upgrading from something earlier than 2019.24.x won't fix the bug, but it also won't make it worse, so there's no reason to block such an upgrade if the alternative is no upgrade at all. It's not 100% clear to me when the Dog Mode bug fix will be released, but some screen shots from 2019.28.x indicate changes to Dog Mode, so it'll probably be fixed with that version.

Nice. What was your speed before?

FWIW, I beam wi-fi to my garage, which is 50 ft from my living room and the garage has metal siding. Last I checked I have 20 mb down and 5 up and I still get updates.

I actually disconnected the WiFi from my Garage for about few weeks as I am having a weird problem - a/c could not remote turned on with WiFi .

I called Tesla, they said they pushed update last week twice and failed . Don’t know what will be next push, suggest me make an appointment with the service center. If between now and appointment not receive new software, I can always get the new software at service center.