Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swap a M3 SR+ Battery to M3 LR Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question...I feel like you’d lose any efficiency improvements in the SR+ due to the added weight though. Better off finding a LR RWD.

Maybe if you were thinking about a very old Model 3 LR RWD at that time, it might be a good option. At 300k to 500k miles, it's going to take atleast 10 years to reach to that point for the average American, unless OP drives alot. At that point, perhaps battery replacement costs will be significantly lower.

Just like gas cars, it's better to sell your car and buy one that has what you want. But people do silly things all the time with their money, and I am sure if money is no object, you could definitely hire Tesla to do whatever you want for a price.

If money is not an Issue, can I have Tesla replace my SR+ Battery with a LR battery?

If money is not an issue, but 1 of each car.

In the real world, what you are contemplating is not-economical.
You will always be better off selling the old car, and buying a new one with the desired features and battery size.
Money invested in car upgrades never gets recouped during subsequent sale, since buyers will always have doubts about the quality of the work performed vs. work done at the factory.

a

If money is not an Issue, can I have Tesla replace my SR+ Battery with a LR battery?

Only if you don't mind buying the entire rest of the car around that LR battery, and only if by replace you mean "trade the SR+ entire vehicle in toward it"

Otherwise- no.

Also, if price is not an issue, can I buy a new Battery after 300,000-500,000 miles?

Sure. But it'll likely be the same type that came with the car from the factory.

I am look at a M3 SR+ as an income producing asset and will change the Battery as the Battery Tech gets better at a lower cost.

something like going from PC with 2.0 Ghz in 2020 to a 2.5 Ghz in 2023 that cost is cheaper vs that same 2.5 Ghz in 2020.

I now think of a Model 3 as a computer on wheels, not a car from from 1980.

It’s possible that down the road Tesla will begin offering battery replacement programs for the Model 3 that could conceivably offer a longer range battery than the one that came with the car. But since the Model 3 fleet is still too new to need new batteries Tesla has not had any reason to create such a program.

I am look at a M3 SR+ as an income producing asset and will change the Battery as the Battery Tech gets better at a lower cost.

something like going from PC with 2.0 Ghz in 2020 to a 2.5 Ghz in 2023 that cost is cheaper vs that same 2.5 Ghz in 2020.

I now think of a Model 3 as a computer on wheels, not a car from from 1980.
Please don’t tell me you’ve bought into the robotaxi hype.

You can look at things however you like- but what you want to do isn't actually available anywhere but your imagination so don't get your hopes up.

I a

Of course doing that often involves having to build an entirely new PC since the motherboard, chip-set, and sometimes even memory have moved on and aren't backward compatible.

Also unlike the Tesla model 3 there isn't usually encrypted firmware preventing you from upgrading it on your own.

I'm not sure the 3s were built with battery swaps in mind. I think the S (and maybe the X?) were. At one point in time, Elon's solution to 'charging as fast as a gas fill-up' was to battery swap your depleted battery for a fully charged one, then come back and get your battery at a later date... they abandoned that plan. I think they demoed the S being able to have a battery swapped in within 5 minutes. I feel like the 3 was not designed for that, and as such would take much more work to do. Given that the battery is the biggest cost of the car, and the large amount of manual labour I imagine it would take, why wouldn't you just buy an LR car to start off with? I don't think you're going to save any money buying an SR, keeping it for a few years, then trying to 'upgrade' to an LR... yes the LR battery cost will go down in 3 years' time, but the whole car's price will go down accordingly as well, so you'd probably be just as well off selling your SR and getting a 2023 LR.

Reactions: ElectricIAC