Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swap in J1772 cable to HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife will be getting a non-Tesla EV. I've got a spare HPWC, and would like to hook it up along with my existing one so they can power share. The current plan is to get the $250 Tesla to SAE-J1772 adapter by TeslaTap.

Alternatively, I've got a spare Schneider-Electric SAE-J1772 EVSE from when I use to drive a gas-guzzling Volt. Can I swap cables, so I can have an HPWC with the J1772 cable? We know Tesla makes HPWC with a J1772 cable for destination charging. As my original line is 40A, I'll be running the HPWC at 32A, which is what the original J1772 was designed for.

TeslaTap states it has a circuit to make it work with Gen II HPWC, which I assume is the type I have. This makes me wonder if this scheme I have would work without said circuit.

Note: This is similar to the Jesla solution, but with an HPWC instead of a UMC.

On the same site you mention, they do offer the service to swap the cable on your HWPC: Service: Tesla 80 amp HPWC Wall Connector with 80 amp J1772 plug

They also sell already converted HWPCs: J-Wall-40 - the premium 40 amp wall mounted J1772 charge station, 80A home charger, HPWC, High Power Wall Charger, Tesla

The TeslaTap adapter is probably the cheapest solution.

Looking at the webpage, it looks like I provide the HPWC, and they provide the cable and labor. I contacted them to see if they'll swap the cable if I provide it, and hopefully save a little money.

My wife will be getting a non-Tesla EV. I've got a spare HPWC, and would like to hook it up along with my existing one so they can power share. The current plan is to get the $250 Tesla to SAE-J1772 adapter by TeslaTap.

Alternatively, I've got a spare Schneider-Electric SAE-J1772 EVSE from when I use to drive a gas-guzzling Volt. Can I swap cables, so I can have an HPWC with the J1772 cable? We know Tesla makes HPWC with a J1772 cable for destination charging. As my original line is 40A, I'll be running the HPWC at 32A, which is what the original J1772 was designed for.

TeslaTap states it has a circuit to make it work with Gen II HPWC, which I assume is the type I have. This makes me wonder if this scheme I have would work without said circuit.

Note: This is similar to the Jesla solution, but with an HPWC instead of a UMC.
If you swap any cables or even use the JJapter be sure it can handler the power without getting hot. If the cable gauge is smaller It can get hot and fail.
In fact I like to charge at lower power so I don't waste energy and time cooling the battery and system using higher power. In the garage it makes it a heat cycle . If you not in a hurry don't charge fast.

Before you go to too much trouble, determine if you need to. My wife chargers her 2018 Leaf off of 120V 15A circuit and only plugs in once or twice a week. That also allows us to both be plugged in.
With my NEMA 14-50 plug, I can always unplug my UMC and plug in the EVSE if needed, but there's a DC Fast charger not that far away that's been used, maybe 2-3 times in a year if she forgot to plug in.

I use a Jdapter with a my extra mobile charger for my Rav4 (which I try to keep ~50% soc and only drive for local errands)and the Prius survives on 110 charging. My Model 3 will do about ~40k miles a year, the prius does ~10k and the Rav4 does about 5k. That setup works fine.
My parents have a volt and just got a model 3. They have been using the 1772 charger to charge the volt during peak hours and the Tesla charges 24/7 on a 110 plug aimed at 90%.Their Tesla doesn't drive more than 300 miles in a week and if it did they could plug it into the 240 for the night.
I wouldn't go out and spend a bunch of money on dual 240 solutions unless you are 100% sure you can't get by with a 240 and 110 setup.

I wouldn't go out and spend a bunch of money on dual 240 solutions unless you are 100% sure you can't get by with a 240 and 110 setup.

I'm trying to not spend a bunch of money. I drive commute 40 miles a day, and my wife commutes 80 miles a day. We both need Level 2 charging. I already have an old SAE-J1772 EVSE, a Tesla HPWC connected for my Model 3, and an extra Tesla HPWC (referral reward). If I connect the J1772 EVSE, I'll need to run a new line back to the panel, which costs ~$1000 for my 50 foot run. So instead I want to connect the 2nd HPWC up as a slave, so it'll balance the power load for both cars. I could buy a TeslaTap adapter for $250, which is clunky and costs $250, or I can swap the cable for no additional cost.

I'm trying to not spend a bunch of money. I drive commute 40 miles a day, and my wife commutes 80 miles a day. We both need Level 2 charging. I already have an old SAE-J1772 EVSE, a Tesla HPWC connected for my Model 3, and an extra Tesla HPWC (referral reward). If I connect the J1772 EVSE, I'll need to run a new line back to the panel, which costs ~$1000 for my 50 foot run. So instead I want to connect the 2nd HPWC up as a slave, so it'll balance the power load for both cars. I could buy a TeslaTap adapter for $250, which is clunky and costs $250, or I can swap the cable for no additional cost.

you won't find many people here willing to help figure that out. The consensus around here is if Tesla didn't build it it's not right.

Home Charging, more specifically J-Wall-40 - the premium 40 amp wall mounted J1772 charge stationThis is what you want. They may be willing to do a swap. Owner is Tony Williams, I'm pretty sure he is on this forum. Great company and all their products are really good quality.

But with a 40 mile a day commute you can charge your Tesla on a 110v be fine.