Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swap your MS 40 or 60kw battery for my 85kw "B", plus install (listing for Deposit only) $10,000 fin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swap your MS 40 or 60kw battery for my 85kw "B", plus install (listing for Deposit only) $10,000 final price

Ok, so I decided to most likely keep my lower mileage "E" battery and offer my current "B" battery from my running vehicle. I will be pulling this "B" battery soon, so if anyone wants to see it perform prior to being pulled, now is the time. I am looking to swap mine within the next 2 weeks, so this will be scheduled after that.

This "B" battery with aprox 94k miles that will range charge to 250 - 255 miles.

This listing is for the *deposit only*. I am asking $10,000 plus your old, working 40 or 60 kw battery. Installation will be included at this price at my location in Surprise Arizona.

Just so you know this is likely a warranty voiding process for your car. Some dash disassembly is required to achieve the update, nothing major, just parts that unclip or unscrew. While we will do everything properly, Tesla doesn't want anyone else to work on these cars. This is best left for an out of warranty or salvage vehicle.

Please disregard other info in this thread for selling the "E" battery.

Again - DEPOSIT ONLY - in this listing. I would prefer to deal locally and receive the deposit in person. In person deposit will be less. Discount for all cash payment.

List Date: 2/9/2016

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Swap your MS 40 or 60kw battery for my 85kw "B", plus install (listing for Deposit only) $10,000 final price
--------------------------------------
On Sale For: $2,500.00

buynowbutton.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

36ee109b-f402-4995-8305-f6adc3b73eea.jpg

Car arrived yesterday and got it powered up breifly. So its an "E" rated 85kw battery with 31,858 miles on the donor car (showed 119 miles remaining). Planning on pulling the pack this weekend.

I may also considering selling other parts, but mainly this is a parts supply for my running salvage MS. If there is something you need, PM me an offer. I'm keeping the drive unit and likely the tires / wheels.

@miamibeacher: I've searched on the forum quite a bit and didn't turn anything up. Link please?

85kw battery label-1.jpg

85kw battery car info-1.jpg

Donor car:
38315535_04X.JPG

@Steve S: I bypassed the piro fuse and charged the pack for a few hours prior to pulling the DU. If I don't sell it soon I may end up swapping this pack for my "B" pack with 92k on it.

@miamibeacher: No rear console or yacht floor.

For a used battery pack that's overpriced. A new 90D cost 23k, a 70w is 18800. Besides not like the Tesla store going to install it for me :- ( that's the other issue and who knows if the back was damaged?

That's what it's worth to me. I am willing to entertain offers, but really, for much less I might as well swap it for my higher mileage "B" pack and then sell the "B". I would also consider a partial trade w/ install for someone with a 40 or 60 pack, but this would need to be done at my shop. I already swapped my existing DU for the one from this car and redeployed the firmware. If anyone is interested in swapping their 40/60 for this "E" or my "B" pack let me know.

The pack is not physically damaged and I did charge it for several hours, albeit only @ 120V.

content___media_external_images_media_2319.jpg

Listing updated to reflect battery swap for my "B" battery w/ ~92k miles, 250 - 255 range charge. Please disregard above info about selling the "E" battery. Installation is included at my shop.

Installing the pack in a 40 or 60 requires configuration changes to the car to make it an 85, along with a firmware match up. Aside from Tesla, there are very few people who are able to actually do this. I'm pretty sure I know who they are, and can count them on one hand, myself included.

Plus I'm pretty sure that this would forfeit the existing battery warranty (which you did mention in the first post here). I don't see anyone taking you up on this, honestly. It just wouldn't make any sense for someone to do so for a pack with such high mileage.

I wouldn't be offering this if I couldn't handle the software config and firmware update, so no worries there. And yes, I also have a lift.

I did post that this is for someone either out of warranty or with a salvage title. It would be up to the purchaser if they want to risk it on an 'in warranty' vehicle. I would suggest anyone with a warranty in place NOT to take me up on this offer. It will definitely void your battery warranty, and Tesla may even try to void your entire warranty.

The pack they would get is the one I am driving on currently and I highly suggest anyone interested to come take a look at it while its still in my daily driver. In the 6k+ miles I have put on this battery there has been no issues at all. It range charges to over 250 rated miles (typically 252-255) and I have taken it down to 3 rated miles remaining one time. If they have an out-of-warranty 40 or 60, then their pack would be of greater mileage than this anyway.

I understand this is not something for everyone or even most people. But there are a few people who wished they gotten the bigger battery, this is directed to them.

I wouldn't be offering this if I couldn't handle the software config and firmware update, so no worries there. And yes, I also have a lift.

I did post that this is for someone either out of warranty or with a salvage title. It would be up to the purchaser if they want to risk it on an 'in warranty' vehicle. I would suggest anyone with a warranty in place NOT to take me up on this offer. It will definitely void your battery warranty, and Tesla may even try to void your entire warranty.

The pack they would get is the one I am driving on currently and I highly suggest anyone interested to come take a look at it while its still in my daily driver. In the 6k+ miles I have put on this battery there has been no issues at all. It range charges to over 250 rated miles (typically 252-255) and I have taken it down to 3 rated miles remaining one time. If they have an out-of-warranty 40 or 60, then their pack would be of greater mileage than this anyway.

I understand this is not something for everyone or even most people. But there are a few people who wished they gotten the bigger battery, this is directed to them.

Going to have to call it like I see it, but... how do you intend on modifying the config on a normal Model S? This would be important to know since the only methods of doing so without Tesla's cooperation involve invasive disassembly of the dash. Would be important to note such a caveat to someone since Tesla doing a swap doesn't involve taking the inside of the car apart...

As one of the few non-Tesla employed folks capable of doing such a thing I'm pretty skeptical.

Going to have to call it like I see it, but... how do you intend on modifying the config on a normal Model S? This would be important to know since the only methods of doing so without Tesla's cooperation involve invasive disassembly of the dash. Would be important to note such a caveat to someone since Tesla doing a swap doesn't involve taking the inside of the car apart...

As one of the few non-Tesla employed folks capable of doing such a thing I'm pretty skeptical.
This is definitely doable(even without rooting like you did), but like you say, the dash has to come apart. Even access to a Tesla laptop isn't enough with FW 7.1+.

wk, Hopefully with my message to you, you realize that I can do the swap.

Anyways, I will first be trying this on mine, as the battery up for swap is the "B" battery in my running MS. I will be swapping the "E" pack I acquired from the other salvage I picked up. If no one takes me up on the offer in a month or two then I will harvest the modules from it for other purposes.

To all, yes, I will need to access behind part of the dash. I updated the main post to reflect this. I guess my work on literally thousands of hybrid batteries (mainly Toyota / Honda) makes me think a little dash work is nothing...

wk, Hopefully with my message to you, you realize that I can do the swap.

Anyways, I will first be trying this on mine, as the battery up for swap is the "B" battery in my running MS. I will be swapping the "E" pack I acquired from the other salvage I picked up. If no one takes me up on the offer in a month or two then I will harvest the modules from it for other purposes.

To all, yes, I will need to access behind part of the dash. I updated the main post to reflect this. I guess my work on literally thousands of hybrid batteries (mainly Toyota / Honda) makes me think a little dash work is nothing...

Sounds like a plan. Can I spectate if/when it happens? :)