TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Swapped in a lower amperage washer/dryer to make room for NEMA 14-50.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tdiggity, Sep 10, 2013.

1. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Just thought I'd share this little tip:

I have a 125amp panel and by adding a 50amp NEMA 14-50 connection I would have gone over and thus wouldn't be able to get a permit for the electrical work. I live in a condo, so I had to have everything permitted. By Solar City's load calculations, I was drawing about 8amps more than allowable. So, what I did was I purchased a 15 amp LG washer dryer combo (Washer Dryer Combos: Compare LG's Washer Dryer Combos | LG USA). This changed my washer/dryer breaker from 30amps to 15amps and then I was allowed to install the 50amp NEMA 14-50!

It's definitely going to depend on your use case. Our old washer/dryer needed to be repaired anyway, so we just got rid of it. The new combo washer/dryer isn't for heavy duty family use (it's just the two of us), and that's fine by us. Going this route was the only way we could sneak the 14-50 in there.

Hope this information helps someone!

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Does your new dryer use natural gas?

3. JPP

JPP Active Member

...it is always worth considering if you can accomodate a natural gas dryer. In many areas the energy costs are lower. In my case it freed up a 240V 30A circuit which goes a long way to having a NEMA 14-50 installed.