Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapped Seats - Message requiring software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my car in 12/18 I really wanted the white interior but there was none in inventory before loosing full tax credit. So long story short I was able to get a complete white interior for a great deal. Prev. owner is building a race car out of M3 performance so yanked these right out and they are brand new.

Today I took on the task of swapping the seats out, followed protocol and disconnected 12V and the main high power under the rear seat. After installing everything and reconnecting, seats all work great but now I have a notification stating Software update required, contact Tesla.

I think I saw somewhere that changing any hardware may cause this but anyone with some insight? I am little stressed, will they just send a software push over the air?

Did you get your issue resolved ?

I’m about to be in the same boat as you swapping my gen 1 black front and back seats, panels and dashboard panel for gen 2 white interior.
I’ve read somewhere that on here that they either had to go to Tesla SC to get a software updated or waited for the next software push to get the error resolved.

Go to a Service center and ask them to push new software to your car. If you're afraid to mention it's because a seat swap, you can say it's because of a bug or something along that line.

After the update, the message will go away. Even if you update to the exact same firmware. I did a seat swap a couple months ago. Easy fix.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
When I got my car in 12/18 I really wanted the white interior but there was none in inventory before loosing full tax credit. So long story short I was able to get a complete white interior for a great deal. Prev. owner is building a race car out of M3 performance so yanked these right out and they are brand new.

Today I took on the task of swapping the seats out, followed protocol and disconnected 12V and the main high power under the rear seat. After installing everything and reconnecting, seats all work great but now I have a notification stating Software update required, contact Tesla.

I think I saw somewhere that changing any hardware may cause this but anyone with some insight? I am little stressed, will they just send a software push over the air?

A mobile tech once told me exactly what you said in your last sentence. He swapped the charge port door and had to push the same SW that my car was already running to it to 'calibrate' (his words) with the new hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
A mobile tech once told me exactly what you said in your last sentence. He swapped the charge port door and had to push the same SW that my car was already running to it to 'calibrate' (his words) with the new hardware.
i'm guessing any 'calibration' is similar to any firmware install of an appliance (think phone, dedicated infrastructure hardware, etc). the firmware will go through a driver/hardware ID check and "reinstall" the drivers/reset the hardware IDs. of course this is just speculation but think of it as being similar to when "plug and play" was first introduced to windows. it wasn't always automatic and you had to scan for hardware changes. my guess is the firmware process does this as a self-check.

i wonder if there's a way to "factory reset" and accomplish the same thing.

Go to a Service center and ask them to push new software to your car. If you're afraid to mention it's because a seat swap, you can say it's because of a bug or something along that line.

After the update, the message will go away. Even if you update to the exact same firmware. I did a seat swap a couple months ago. Easy fix.

I just swapped seats and getting this message. If I don’t approach Tesla, will the car still be able to receive future updates ?