Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping 20inch wheels to 22 inch Onyx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting my car this week. White with white interior and was thinking of swapping 20 inch to 22 inch Onyx.

Found a new pair that was part of referral reward.

Question is will I need to get an alignment after swapping wheels?

Also, do referral reward wheels come balanced and ready to go?

Thanks

I believe you also have to change a setting to have the car recognize that you have 22” wheels instead of what came with the car, which will affect your range calculations. I’m sure someone has changed from 20s to 22s on this board.

you don't need to get an alignment after swapping 20s to 22s and visa versa. i do it all the time. i recommend staying with the stock size tires for the 22s. but some tires run "wider" in the same size, so that could help. referral wheels/tires combo should come mounted/balanced with the TPMS too.

also, expect your range to decrease when you run the 22s vs. the 20s.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
you don't need to get an alignment after swapping 20s to 22s and visa versa. i do it all the time. i recommend staying with the stock size tires for the 22s. but some tires run "wider" in the same size, so that could help. referral wheels/tires combo should come mounted/balanced with the TPMS too.

also, expect your range to decrease when you run the 22s vs. the 20s.
Thanks for the information. About how much lower will my range go? Should I adjust the battery setting to 90% vs 80%?

Thanks for the information. About how much lower will my range go? Should I adjust the battery setting to 90% vs 80%?
Depends on your driving / travel needs. By my observation navigating on 20" wheels the estimated battery % arrival is surprisingly accurate. With 22"s it's usually 2-3% less after arriving to destination. Of course further the distance it may impact more. They say overall it should be 10-15% range impact.

Tire itself has a pretty significant impact as well. The OEM Pirelli was where I saw the 2-3% less than expected arrival %. After changing my MX to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S it was significantly better than Pirelli's. Not as good as 20" range but at least wh/hr dipped sometimes in the upper 390's (something I rarely saw before)

Reactions: MattMac
Depends on your driving / travel needs. By my observation navigating on 20" wheels the estimated battery % arrival is surprisingly accurate. With 22"s it's usually 2-3% less after arriving to destination. Of course further the distance it may impact more. They say overall it should be 10-15% range impact.

Tire itself has a pretty significant impact as well. The OEM Pirelli was where I saw the 2-3% less than expected arrival %. After changing my MX to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S it was significantly better than Pirelli's. Not as good as 20" range but at least wh/hr dipped sometimes in the upper 390's (something I rarely saw before)
Thanks for the reply. Can you have a wider tire on the back? I know this eliminates tire rotation. I'm trying to go for the BMW X 6 look?