TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Swapping Dash Trim (Video)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by UThomas, Jan 30, 2016.

1. UThomas

UThomas Member

FYI - I had a chance to buy an OEM carbon fiber dash trim kit to swap out with the piano black trim in my 2015 S. I followed the directions here:

How to add a Carbon Fiber Interior Trim to the Model S - TESLARATI.com

The directions were very useful but I found a few spots where I had questions and sorta figured it out. Anyway - the whole process was easier than I thought (took about an hour) for those considering it and I put together a few video clips of the process here that weren't necessarily as clear in some of the written instructions:

Swapping Tesla Model S Trim - YouTube

Cheers-

Thomas

• Helpful x 1
  2. theheff

theheff Member

Thanks for sharing! Wish I would have found this before swapping mine out...

3. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

Thanks for sharing this. Do you have any final pics showing the after result for your project? I'm curious how it looks before I attempt it. I'm bookmarking this thread so I can try this out when I'm ready to tackle another project. :)

4. bredi

bredi Member

Yes, thanks for posting this. As much as I love the Carbon, now I know... I'm gonna stick with my Obeche. ha!

You explained things clearly and THANK YOU for pointing out the "Gotchas"!

5. Terra117

Terra117 Member

Bravo!

Thanks UThomas.

6. UThomas

UThomas Member

No problem - glad you guys enjoyed it.

The "after" pic would be OEM - because it looks that way as you would expect (unless I ended up with a few extra screws :))

7. FrederikC

FrederikC Teslafied.eu

UThomas, I wrote the guide for teslarati/teslafied.eu, could you tell me what info you were missing so I can correct the article?

8. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

FrederikC and UThomas I'd like to see final pict's as well... how does the wrap you used compare to the matte finish of the OEM carbon interior?

9. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

how does the wrap you used compare to the matte finish of the OEM carbon interior?

10. FrederikC

FrederikC Teslafied.eu

Here are some more photos:
    Carbon Wrap Decor - Teslafied
    Carbon Wrap Center Console - Teslafied

The 3M carbon wrap have a more structural surface and are not as matt as the original OE Carbon Trim.
    If you do a custom trim you can chose from 100's of wrap's - make the car more personal.

11. UThomas

UThomas Member

FrederikC - thanks for making that! For me it was mostly things like "how many screws" or "what exactly is the padded panel under the steering wheel?" I think a few dozen more pictures would have helped me have more confidence on "am I about to break this or are we good?" :) But hopefully this complements it well.