Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping executive rear seats for bench style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used 2015 Model S P85D with the Executive Rear seats and those seats don't really fit my needs. That is to say having 3 seats in the back is much more important than having 2 extra comfortable ones.

Anyway I'm looking at this set of ebay items as it seems like everything I need to swap them out and wanted to know if anyone can tell their thoughts on:

Can the (seemingly) discolored leather likely be fixed, scrubbed out, etc?

Does the bottom frame piece bolt in and out in the same places or would the frame itself be different I assume it isn't welded in?

Do the normal seats have heaters with compatible wiring? I don't really care about rear seat heating just curious on that.

2015 Tesla Model S 70D Rear Left Driver Side Seat Back Upper Cushion | eBay

2015 Tesla Model S 70D Rear Seat Bottom Bench Lower Cushion Assembly | eBay

2015 Tesla Model S 70D Rear Right Passenger Side Seat Back Cushion | eBay

2015 Tesla Model S 70D Rear Seat Cushion Frame Support Assembly 1054081-06-A | eBay

You might be able to find someone that would want to swap with you if that's possible. I wished it was an option when I got my car and would have paid for it. Now I don't have the need for it but there's definitely someone that would swap.

I posted a different thread a while back asking if anyone wants to swap. I'll grant you that I was asking for cash to go along with the swap and didn't get any responses. I feel like this is one of those things where the people that want to make such a trade are far and few between, not to mention probably quite far away as well.

How much cash were you looking to get? Do the executive seats fold down at all?

Granted I'm in Texas, but I might be open to trading my black premium rear seats from my 16 P90D with Premium Interior. I don't think they've ever been sat in.

Last edited:
I have the executive seat too....Did you figure how to get the seat bottom cushion out?

I yanked so hard but nothing move...might be a different way from the bench seat

Getting the seat bottom cushion out is a little tricky but it's not too crazy. Here's my technicque; Get both hands on the bottom lip of the front of the seat and pull (don't jerk at it, yet) up really hard. Adjust your hands to where the resistance is and then pull up again until it won't give anymore and hold that position. Then just do a 1-2-3 and jerk it as hard as you can putting your weight into it and it will give.

That's about as far as I got in the disassembly though.

I have the executive rear seats and i have been looking for a way to get them swapped for the bench for a while now. After seeing your posts, and discovering it is actually possible, i just had a couple quick questions if you don't mind.

Do you still have the executive seats displaying in the MCU heating screen, or were you able to have tesla update it?
Do you know if i get a bench from a 2018 and up if they use the same brackets/harnesses?
When buying a rear bench, do we need to replace the frame as well as the seat cushions?

Thanks so much, i can't tell you how badly i've wanted to swap these out as i never have anyone in the car, and could use the fold down feature of the standard seats haha!

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to swap my rear bench seats for a set of tan executive seats! :)

I think I have never folded my rear seats since I got the car in late Feb 2017.

Unfortunately, my 2nd row tan seats are perforated due to the fact that I have 1st gen ventilated premium seats up front. I may be wrong, but I believe Tesla made more cream color seats in premium trim than tan color seats (next gen and earlier all had tan, gray or black colors), so the particular color/features/build day of my seats doesn't help much... 😢

Last edited:
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to swap my rear bench seats for a set of tan executive seats! :)

I think I have never folded my rear seats since I got the car in late Feb 2017.

Unfortunately, my 2nd row tan seats are perforated due to the fact that I have 1st gen ventilated premium seats up front. I may be wrong, but I believe Tesla made more cream color seats in premium trim than tan color seats (next gen and earlier all had tan, gray or black colors), so the particular color/features/built day of my seats doesn't help much... 😢
ahhhhh sadly mine are black :( If the colors were matching, i'd swap in a heartbeat :(

Did you ever succeed in swapping or removing the executive seats? Thinking about doing the same thing. Tesla SC told me that it is not possible to swap... Not sure what to think about that thou...

Alternatively I'm thinking about outright removing them and building a Model S Camper out of it.

did you have to buy the seat frames...bottom and back frame?
what about the latch system so the seat can fold?...

If you dont mind...and give us a good detail write up of the swap...this forum will greatly appreciated
Yeah I eventually gave up looking for a swap partner and just bought a set on ebay from somebody parting out a wrecked car. I couldn't make a detailed write up at this point because I did it so long ago but it's really not hard. Here's what I remember:

There are 6 pieces you need (I forgot one in my last comment). The pieces are:

1 the bottom metal cage frame
2 the bottom seat bench
3&4 the left and right seat backs
5&6 the left and right seat bolsters

Removing the executive seat starts out by taking the seat bottoms out. You do that by gripping the front of the seat under the lip and yanking up as hard as you can. There's an electrical clip for the heater which you unattach before taking it the rest of the way out. Taking the center console out is done be removing 4 screws. 2 of them are inside the console under the rubber bottom liner. The other 2 are under the cup holders' rubber piece. Get a pair of plyers, grab the little nub that protrudes in the middle and pull it up to reveal the screws. At this point you take out the seat back which is one piece for the executive seats. I remember this being a bit tricky. I think there's a release hidden under the leather or something weird like that on the back top of the seats (I actually think I read there are two versions of the seat back release but I could be getting confused with something else). After that is just the cage which requires a big size (I forget the exact size) torx bit and a big ass cheater bar.

Putting the normie seats in just more or less the inverse of taking the executive seats out but there's a pivoting bracket for the seat backs that the executive seats don't use.

I have the executive rear seats and i have been looking for a way to get them swapped for the bench for a while now. After seeing your posts, and discovering it is actually possible, i just had a couple quick questions if you don't mind.

Do you still have the executive seats displaying in the MCU heating screen, or were you able to have tesla update it?
Do you know if i get a bench from a 2018 and up if they use the same brackets/harnesses?
When buying a rear bench, do we need to replace the frame as well as the seat cushions?

Thanks so much, i can't tell you how badly i've wanted to swap these out as i never have anyone in the car, and could use the fold down feature of the standard seats haha!

The MCU still thinks the rear seats are executive. I don't know anything about 2018s. You need 6 pieces. Sorry I didn't reply sooner I haven't been on the forum much (obviously)