Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping from Model S to Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 Model s 60 comes up for lease expiration in Feb 2020. I am strongly considering moving down to a Long Range Model 3. Does anyone have a user experience with this? Will I miss the Model S? when I build out new cars it's hard for me to justify the $30K difference. I will miss my free supercharging and slacker account, auto open/close trunk but not to the tune of $30K. It seems I will get over 150 miles range from my current S and a faster car. My 60 is plenty fast enough today. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has gone from and S to a Model 3

Depends on how you've been using it. Were you longing for more range with your Model S60? To me, that really is the factor. I have a S60D as well and I'm not willing to give up the free S/C, so my S60D is staying with us forever. After 80k+ miles, having driven it up and down the east coast from Maine all the way down to Key West, I've never had range anxiety due to the number of superchargers, destination chargers,etc all over the place.

Yes, FSD, sentry, dashcam, etc are all nice and having 100+ more range is nice. But I think you should consider how you used your S60 over the past two years and decide from there.

Good luck - a good problem to have. ;)

Reactions: SilverGS and P85_DA
Overall I feel like it was an upgrade going from a 2015 MS 70D to my 2019 M3 LR Dual Motor.
Things I miss:
  • Large flush mounted 17” screen
  • 3 kids fit comfortably in back seat
  • Better visibility in rear window
  • Slightly more attractive body style
Things I like better in M3:
  • 100 miles more range
  • AC vents
  • Sentry mode
  • Latest FSD computer
  • Easier to park and maneuver in traffic due to smaller size
  • Less expensive

Reactions: P85_DA
Overall I feel like it was an upgrade going from a 2015 MS 70D to my 2019 M3 LR Dual Motor.
Things I miss:
  • Large flush mounted 17” screen
  • 3 kids fit comfortably in back seat
  • Better visibility in rear window
  • Slightly more attractive body style
Things I like better in M3:
  • 100 miles more range
  • AC vents
  • Sentry mode
  • Latest FSD computer
  • Easier to park and maneuver in traffic due to smaller size
  • Less expensive
this is not an fair comparison, latest S has almost all those new features on 3, plus a lot more, e.g, adaptive suspension