Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping Gen 3 Wall Connector (48 Amps) to Gen 2 (80 Amps) - What's Involved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 48-amp Gen 3 Wall Connector installed in my garage. I'd like to switch it to a Gen 2 for 80-amp charging.

What would be involved? Is it as simple as having an electrician change the breaker and the wall connector? Or would it require a full, new installation?

It depends on what you have. If the panel and the wiring are suitable for 80 Amp charging you can simply swap the breaker (you'll need a 100 Amp breaker for 80 Amp charging) and the wall connector and you're done.
Chances are that you'll need to upgrade at least the wiring.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 48-amp Gen 3 Wall Connector installed in my garage. I'd like to switch it to a Gen 2 for 80-amp charging.

What would be involved? Is it as simple as having an electrician change the breaker and the wall connector? Or would it require a full, new installation?
It depends on what size wire is installed. The Gen 3, only really requires 6 AWG. If you want to charge at 72 amps (assuming your 2017 P100D), you will need to install much larger wire, like 2 AWG. Since running the wire is most of the work, changing to 72/80 amp service maybe similar to installing new. OTOH, you will not likely have to install new conduit, if that was a factor. There also may be additional cutoff switches required when circuits over 60 amps are used. Basically a 100 amp circuit, is a bigger deal than a 60. Personally, I have two Gen 2 wall connectors, but I configured it for a 60 amp circuit and load sharing between them.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

When the Model S and Model X first came out, they could be ordered with dual-onboard chargers, each one capable of accepting 40-amps. Cars with the dual-onboard charger option could charge at 19.2 kW (80-amps), so Tesla needed to offer a home charging solution that could deliver that much power, but that isn't the case anymore.

First make sure, that your Tesla has dual-onboard charger. Otherwise Gen 2 will not charge your car faster

When the Model S and Model X first came out, they could be ordered with dual-onboard chargers, each one capable of accepting 40-amps. Cars with the dual-onboard charger option could charge at 19.2 kW (80-amps), so Tesla needed to offer a home charging solution that could deliver that much power, but that isn't the case anymore.

First make sure, that your Tesla has dual-onboard charger. Otherwise Gen 2 will not charge your car faster
Older Xs had dual chargers, for a total of 80A. Somewhat newer cars, like my 2018 X, have a single 72A charger. Check your car hardware.

No point installing a 100A circuit (for 80A charging) if your car can only support 72A charging, which only needs 90A circuit. If you have a long wire run, dropping a wire size saves money. My electrician goofed up and installed an 80A circuit, for a "legal" max charge of 64A. Once or twice I needed a quick midday boost for two or three hours, so I charged at 72A. The 80% rule only kicks in at three hours.

If you understand that, you can set your charger to the full 72A, and keep the in-car max to 64A (by GPS), occasionally overridden if necessary. If others may charge the car less responsibly, you may want to set the charger to a max of 64A so mistakes can't be made.

Back then there weren't many Superchargers. Now they are so common the likelihood of needing the extra midday boost is much less. In Maine in 2018 there was only one SC in the state, 50 miles from home. Now there are 15.

Once or twice I needed a quick midday boost for two or three hours, so I charged at 72A. The 80% rule only kicks in at three hours.

I do not think this is correct when it comes to EVSE. Normally, a continuous load is one where a constant load is maintained for 3+ hours. However, NEC Section 625.42, which applies to EVSE, states all EVSE loads are a continuous load, which means the 80% rule always applies.

first Thing is to make sure your car is capable of charging at 80 amps. all new model x can only charge at 48 amps. And the new 3rd gen wall connector maxes at 48 amps. So most likely your 3rd gen wall connector has 6 gauge wire and a 60 amp breaker. A 2nd gen wall connector setup to charge at 80 amps will require much thicker wire like 2 gauge and a 100 amp breaker. So pretty much it’s like a new install

Reactions: ATPMSD
New wire: Probably 2 gauge
New circuit breaker: Changing from a 60amp breaker to a 100amp breaker
New conduit: Old conduit probably is 3/4" and isn't rated for 2x 2ga wire since it previously had 6ga wire in it. link
New HPWC: Obviously need this part

Other things to consider: Entire new panel and upgraded service to your home needed. $$$$$$$$

Best case scenario is that I'd say it would cost about $1,000 if you did the work yourself depending on the length of the run from the panel to your charging location. I highly recommend NOT doing it yourself since you are asking electrical questions on TMC. :eek: Also, 2ga wire is THICK and hard to work with. Higher a professional to do the work!