Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping Gen1 to Gen2 Steering Controls- wiring compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all- I've seen a decent number of posts about this topic but within them, haven't seen much reference to wiring compatibility and I'm running into an issue here that I'm hoping someone has. already come across and can confirm compatibility.

Target Vehicle: 2013 P85

- Swapped Gen2 Steering Controls - everything there works great
- Swapped Scroll Wheels from what I. *Believe* was a 2017 MS (pn FL6242 620 04)
- New wiring hardness (pn 2496698 Rev AB) for the scroll wheels has the one extra connector for the scroll wheels that wasn't there on the original LIN based controls (pn 2463472 Rev AC). - but there's one square black 3 Wire connector on my black airbag bracket (pn 306745585-AB), whereas the new harness has two white flat connectors that I presume would. replace it, but won't connect to the airbag connector.

At this point, I'm assuming I either need a different scroll wheel wiring harness, or a different airbag wiring frame - but can't figure out what is compatible with what based on my online searching.

If anyone has any ideas - I'd greatly appreciate it!

EDIT:
Can't seem to upload images, hopefully these links will work:
1) Original harness -> Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
2) New Harness -> Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 7.45.18 AM.png

Ok so made some positive progress on this - in the event anyone runs into. this in the future here's what worked:

The black module at the top of the plastic wire harness that received the black connector had two white wires that connected into the side. Unplugging those white connectors from the old harness, and plugging in the two "mystery" white connectors from the new harness fit just great and now everything works.

So net net, bypass that old harness completely, and the new harness plugs in it's place. Super Intuitive!!

My question to you is why? what are you trying to gain by swapping this? I mean all the cars have the same level of useability on the wheel buttons. By the looks of your wires i think those are the horn buttons but i didn't look to closely at this as they aren't part of the retrofit since i just swapped the whole metal plate assembly from the blown heated airbag to my working airbag.
like i just did the heated wheel retrofit in my car so that's why i had to buy a bunch of parts from crashed cars.

Pre Dec 2014 S Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

Ok so made some positive progress on this - in the event anyone runs into. this in the future here's what worked:

The black module at the top of the plastic wire harness that received the black connector had two white wires that connected into the side. Unplugging those white connectors from the old harness, and plugging in the two "mystery" white connectors from the new harness fit just great and now everything works.

So net net, bypass that old harness completely, and the new harness plugs in it's place. Super Intuitive!!
Hi I’run into the same issue. Did you take any photos. Did you buy newer buttons or updated wiring harness? Am I able to just re wire the existing wiring?

I’ve added new indicator controls to a 2014 85 MS. Those work fine but I get errors and steering buttons don’t work.

Hi I’run into the same issue. Did you take any photos. Did you buy newer buttons or updated wiring harness? Am I able to just re wire the existing wiring?

I’ve added new indicator controls to a 2014 85 MS. Those work fine but I get errors and steering buttons don’t work.
Re-read your post properly and I see you did get new buttons and wiring harness.

I’m still a little unsure about what you did.